PDA

View Full Version : Declaration of Independence Was 'Illegal,' Grounds for Treason, British Lawyers Say

donnay
10-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Declaration of Independence Was 'Illegal,' Grounds for Treason, British Lawyers Say

The Declaration of Independence was “illegal” and “treasonable,” according to a team of British lawyers, the BBC reports.

The assertion was made at a debate in Philadelphia between British and American lawyers over the legitimacy of the United States of America.

At the debate, pitting British barristers against American attorneys, lawyers for the former colonial power argued that America’s Declaration of Independence in 1776 “was not only illegal, but actually treasonable,” according to the BBC.

The lawyers representing the British team decided that the Americans had no legal grounds for secession. "[President Abraham] Lincoln made the case against secession and he was right."

"The grievances listed in the Declaration were too trivial to justify secession," the British lawyers wrote. "The main one -- no taxation without representation -- was no more than a wish on the part of the colonists, to avoid paying for the expense of protecting them against the French during seven years of arduous war and conflict."

The American lawyers countered that the Declaration's validity has been proven by "subsequent independence movements which have been enforced by world opinion as right and just."

At the end of the debate, which took place just a few blocks away from where Thomas Jefferson drafted the Declaration, a vote was held and American independence was reaffirmed.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/20/declaration-independence-was-illegal-grounds-for-treason-british-lawyers-say/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fmost-popular+%28Internal+-+Most+Popular+Content%29#ixzz1bMpBUmMx

ronpaulfollower999
10-20-2011, 05:22 PM
lol...revisionist history re Civil War.

donnay
10-20-2011, 05:33 PM
No it was illegal and it was treasonous, and the founders knew by signing it, they put their lives, their fortunes and the families at risk.

Humanae Libertas
10-20-2011, 05:34 PM
No duh Captain Obvious. Did he also find out that grass is green?

zippy81
10-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Scoreboard

ronpaulfollower999
10-20-2011, 05:55 PM
No it was illegal and it was treasonous, and the founders knew by signing it, they put their lives, their fortunes and the families at risk.

Yes but the British lawyers using Lincoln and the Civil War to validate their point is fail.

jason43
10-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I like how they threw Lincoln under the bus. hahaha!

Rosenzweig
10-20-2011, 05:59 PM
I thought Europeans were smarter than those I find on the internet.

WilliamC
10-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Actually we made it legal by winning.

To the victors go the writing of history and all that.

Same thing might end up happening again too...

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Declaration of Independence Was 'Illegal,' Grounds for Treason

Of course it was.

Shit, just reciting it now, under the right circumstances, will get you arrested.

jason43
10-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Thomas Jefferson would never get elected. He'd be the crazy redhead guy who hates the Fed and "wants to take away your social security"

I wish I could go back in time and drop off a few books so the founders could see what happened to their republic and prevent it with clear language. For example remove the interstate commerce clause and the word "militia" from the second amendment... amongst other things. Also show them the civil war and get them to just ban slavery from the beginning.

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Thomas Jefferson would never get elected. He'd be the crazy redhead guy who hates the Fed and "wants to take away your social security"

I wish I could go back in time and drop off a few books so the founders could see what happened to their republic and prevent it with clear language. For example remove the interstate commerce clause and the word "militia" from the second amendment... amongst other things. Also show them the civil war and get them to just ban slavery from the beginning.

The Founders had ample warning.

The Anti Federalists told them exactly what would happen. And they were 100 percent correct.

Sadly, then as now, the concerns and warnings were ignored for the larger purpose of getting the engines of the economy going again.

Kylie
10-20-2011, 06:54 PM
The Founders had ample warning.

The Anti Federalists told them exactly what would happen. And they were 100 percent correct.

Sadly, then as now, the concerns and warnings were ignored for the larger purpose of getting the engines of the economy going again.

Yup. Imagine that, AF is right again.

:D