PDA

View Full Version : If you don't think "online" stuff makes an impact...

Karsten
10-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I get discouraged sometimes because I am very vocal on facebook about my support of Ron Paul, and few people respond or comment and I start to think nobody listens.

But this week I bumped into 2 old friends from high school. They both said "oh and I read your stuff on facebook about Ron Paul all the time."

So keep promoting the message of liberty, in any way possible.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I get discouraged sometimes because I am very vocal on facebook about my support of Ron Paul, and few people respond or comment and I start to think nobody listens.

But this week I bumped into 2 old friends from high school. They both said "oh and I read your stuff on facebook about Ron Paul all the time."

I find more and more people that are aware of Ron Paul. They may not necessarily be voting for him, but they do acknowledge they're aware of him whenever I start speaking of him.

phill4paul
10-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah, Karsten same thing happened to me when I messaged each one individually with is 'Restore America' plan and asked what they thought. Many confessed that they would be voting for him and read my posts even though they don't comment on them. everyday in everyway...forward.

MJU1983
10-20-2011, 04:32 PM
I agree...never stop spreading the message. I've uploaded a few videos on my YouTube account and since June I've had ~17,500 views.

JTforRP
10-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Sadly, the internet is our only hope.

The MSM will never in a million years shift their feelings on Ron Paul, so we need to continue our dominance of the internet. I believe the MSM's control of people's minds is slowly but surely coming to an end. One day, I swear, the best candidates will win elections.

InTradePro
10-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Yes, it makes an impact. But while 140 million potential US voters are on facebook, 90% of people don't care much about politics at this point.

TheTexan
10-20-2011, 04:58 PM
I get random "I like your shirt" comments fairly often. I have a ton of ron paul shirts... only thing I wear pretty much :) Free exposure, why not!

Maximus
10-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Agree with this x1000. I get people who never "like" or comment on my videos, but tell me personally that they watch my things all the time. Very cool to hear.

PA27Pilot
10-20-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm just like you guys although I try to limit my Facebook Politics and keep it mixed in with everyday life so that I'm not turning people off and being a fanatic, just a normal liberty loving American ;)

But on the same note, it doesn't have to be just Ron Paul. The other day I posted a video of Peter Schiff's take on OWS and gave it a basic title and it drew a lot of attention. I could see it definitely got the wheels turning on some people who would have turned off the message otherwise. They get enough thinking up there and Ron will be the only logical choice for freedom. So my advice is to mix it up...Peter Schiff, The Judge, And many others are great people to post up that will seem non-biased and get that liberty wheel turning.

rprprs
10-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Sadly, the internet is our only hope.

The MSM will never in a million years shift their feelings on Ron Paul, so we need to continue our dominance of the internet. I believe the MSM's control of people's minds is slowly but surely coming to an end. One day, I swear, the best candidates will win elections.

In my lifetime, PLEASE!!!

(And I'm no spring chicken.) :o

Carson
10-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Lots of people are still to afraid to break out of the mold. The stigma that is being used to hold Dr. Paul down really has a grip on many. If people could just let their heads do the thinking I'm sure they would find a whole new bunch friends...and friends strong enough to stand up for what is right even if they think it is alone for a while.

There was a quote by either Will Rogers or Mark Twain that went something like this.

"I always thought someone holding another man down in the gutter was a waste of two good men."

I'm not finding it now.

TonySutton
10-20-2011, 05:43 PM
2 good friends (husband and wife) recently told me they are listening more to RP and liking what they hear.

freejack
10-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Wanted to bump this thread because the OP is 100% correct. I've been posting about Ron for years and I'm getting more and more likes on those posts. We are working our way into the subconscious mind of our friends. Think of it as seed planting. Most people don't care much about any politician until the primaries are near. When that time actually comes and they need to decide who to vote for, all that stuff you've been posting about Ron will have made a slight impression at the very least. Don't be ashamed to post about Ron. If they hide your posts or unfriend you because of it, they weren't really your friend from the start anyway.

tko13
10-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I first read about RP in August 2007 and it brought me out of my complete apathy for political policy. I was totally on-board from then on, but even as recently as January 2011 I still felt that discussing politics was pointless because I felt it was divisive and that most people are unwilling to change their minds. Around that time, I ended up having a few discussions with 1 vocally liberal friend and 1 vocally neoconservative friend and they both felt that talking about the issues helps to flesh one's own ideas out. So I began posting, discussing, and arguing policy with people from both sides on the fence on Facebook on a regular basis, but primarily for selfish reasons.

Lo and behold, in the past few months I found that I've actually made an impact on a few friends. One friend who was completely uninterested in politics (somewhat of a fan of Obama though) recently became a rabid Ron Paul fan! Another friend who was super neoconservative (told me last year that the middle east hates us for our freedom) is now a big fan of Ron Paul too! Also, a few of my extremely liberal friends have become more supportive of states rights and imposing their agenda at that level rather than a federal one. My most recent FB posts have been getting more likes, and other friends who are a little hesitant about Ron Paul have been asking me detailed questions about his positions. I've also had a few acquaintances approach me in person and talk to me about my Ron Paul posts, but they've never liked or commented on any of the posts on FB. I don't claim to have been solely responsible for any of these people's interest in RP as I'm sure the recent surge in RP's supporters has helped, but I am certain that my posts have at least been food for thought.

As a result, I no longer believe that it's pointless to discuss politics with people. Some people may be unwilling to change their mindsets, but most will continue to adapt their beliefs in the face of new information, even if it's in by very, very small and gradual measures. I think the key is how you approach the discussion. It is critical that you spend more time explaining your viewpoint rather than attacking theirs, and it is also helpful to acknowledge the valid points they make. Some people pick a side and immediately vilify EVERYTHING the other side says/does, but that type of "with us or against us" thinking just turns the discussion into a battle rather than comparison of ideas. If you turn it into a battle, the other guy will shut off the learning part of his brain and will instead focus entirely on protecting his ego and trying to "win" the argument. In my opinion, that type of political discussion has no value whatsoever!

Czolgosz
10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Remember that fanatical nuts are a turn off. So don't over do it.

QuickZ06
10-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I used to spread truth on FB until I deleted in finally after 7 years. Keep posting and more and more will come around, trust me on that.

thehighwaymanq
10-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Spreading the message is really easy, it's difficult to actually get people to vote or donate though.

I live in my college dorm house of 50 people, and I would say about 30 now have strong name recognition to Ron Paul and all I have done is talk about him here and there. Because of this, numerous hour-long political discussions between students have started randomly. Even if they don't agree, we are getting serious topics discussed with major interest in politics now. About 10 people have said they want to vote for RP just because I am so dedicated. It works! Keep talking!

xRedfoxx
10-21-2011, 02:47 PM
The message of liberty is popular!!! You can't stomp it out!

jasonxe
10-21-2011, 03:05 PM
I get random "I like your shirt" comments fairly often. I have a ton of ron paul shirts... only thing I wear pretty much :) Free exposure, why not!

I wish i had one to promote :-(

misslauriss
10-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Somebody a few days ago liked my status about donating to Paul, and it really surprised me because I didn't think he was interested in politics at all. It was cool.

Then again, he could have been making fun of me because I talk about Ron Paul all the time :rolleyes:

misslauriss
10-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Remember that fanatical nuts are a turn off. So don't over do it.

Yes. Don't be obsessive. But still spread the message.

JackieDan
10-21-2011, 03:14 PM
I think the best way to go is to just add a lot of random people from Iowa and NH on facebook. Promote Ron Paul and they will see your comments :-)

affa
10-21-2011, 03:26 PM
on a completely non-political site i frequent, the subject of Ron Paul came up. The sheer amount of wild support he got from tons of names I recognized, but had no idea of their political background, was astounding. Nearly everyone was posting positive, and the few people that thought he was unelectable were quickly educated.

Super positive. There are many of us, despite what the media says.

MrAustin
10-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Great post OP. I also have been posting vidoes, facts, links, etc. on facebook, and I too am surprised at how little response there is to what I post, but then later, I am even more shocked to find out that they are reading what I am posting and they are warming up to Ron Paul. We need to overpower the stigma attached to likeing Ron Paul. We need to be examples and make it "okay" to support Ron Paul. The more people see thier friends talking about him unabashedly, the safer they wil feel getting on board and joining the conversation.

eleganz
10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Ok so I just read this thread and decided to do a test on facebook.

I already know people don't really like to get into politics, there are much more important things distracting them from reality but I posted "ok so whats the scoop on iphone 5?" I got a comment immediately! lol!

When I post Ron Paul stuff, I rarely EVER get anything, only comments and likes from fellow RP supporters.