PDA

View Full Version : Socrates and Ron Paul: Whoa, interesting.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-20-2011, 03:40 PM
According to Plato... (there is mixed interpretations of history we have not experienced ourselves)

Socrates was against democracy, for it forced man into one type of thinking, where majority (mainstream?) can oppress the minority (individual thinkers). (not so much in a political sense, more of a social point of view)
Ron Paul doesn't go for democracy (he also goes against special-interest, collectivism, and praises the individual)

Socrates speaks highly of humanity practicing its own moral attitudes as individuals.
Ron Paul preaches to humanity and government that it lets people practice its own moral attitudes and rights as individuals.

Socrates was prosecuted by Meletus, and the public courts (500+ public citizens) which many hated him without knowing his true intentions or what he was speaking of. (Socrates was executed for 1. Corrupting the Youth, 2. Questioning the gods. Even though he believed in the gods)
Ron Paul is condemned by the media, establishment, status quo, and most people that don't understand the true intentions of his political stances or the depth of his words.

Socrates was slandered, and hated by those he proved to not be wise men. He did so by using the Socratic Method( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method ). This is what lead to him being prosecuted, due to him being perceived as "criminal."
Ron Paul is slandered, and hated by those he proves to not be wise men or correct. Ron Paul also uses the Socratic Method (inconsistently), just ask Cain (collapse prediction, keynesian economists). He's viewed as the enemy.

Socrates never stood down from his beliefs, he even did so in the courts while being prosecuted.
Ron Paul doesn't change or stand down from his beliefs. He does so in the face of mockery, insults, blackouts, and he patiently awaits.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Any other philosophers see relevance here? Connect some dots with me!

HayekFTW
10-20-2011, 03:49 PM
*Removed*

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-20-2011, 03:52 PM
The "Allegory of the cave" calls to mind some connections with this movement, for me.

Once you come to see things from the perspective of liberty, Austrian economics, and you have broken your media chains and see the light, you can never go back to seeing the false reality that everyone who's still in the dark thinks is real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave

I agree completely. Here's my interpretation of the Allegory of the Cave.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?316133-Have-you-ever-studied-quot-The-Allegory-of-the-Cave-quot

http://faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/platoscave.gif

Have you ever studied "The Allegory of the Cave?" Written by Plato, told by Socrates to Glaucon. In the allegory of the cave, there are prisoners chained to the floor. These prisoners have no clue of reality, and all they've ever known is those shackles and those caves. They cannot see anything but darkness, and hear themselves. However, "free society (puppeteers)" contribute to misleading them, about this false perception of reality. By presenting objects on the roadway, in front of the flame. This flame reflects the shadow onto the wall in front of the prisoners, and this is how they learn new things about reality. One day, a prisoner escaped--he also discovered the truths about their reality. He later returned, to forewarn his fellow imprisoned companions. They did not listen to him, as they considered it to be crazy-talk. He was dismissed, and the escapee went on his way.

Why am I talking of this? Very simple. It's a reflection of Ron Paul's story, our society, and our nation. The man which discovers truth, and attempts to forewarn those that he also use to be imprisoned with. That man now possessed what appears to be a leadership role. The Media and our current Politicians, reflect the shadow to the masses by using the flame (the flame & shadow, is parallel to media and the television). Giving them a false perception of reality. The masses easily ignore those which question the societal construct and perception of reality they've come to acknowledge as "absolute." Ron Paul is the man questioning our system, and telling people to open their eyes and see for themselves. The masses are those chained to the floor inside the cave, and those of us which you have inspired are slowly waking up to your words.

Many philosophers, had issues with democracy (the masses). Now can you see? The major crux of the problem? The masses are easily mislead. The issue is ensuring we get the proper people into those leadership roles, to avoid this misleading intention.

. . .and Ron Paul, is the start of that long overdue leadership, [I] truly believe that.

I also wanted to discuss with all of you, the importance, of the fundamentals of philosophy. If you're not aware of what philosophy is, it's a method used in life by all--but not always consistently. It's what helps one use Critical Thinking, instead of Mere Disagreement. It's what allows people to identify a premise and a conclusion, and what helps people solve paradox's in many aspects of life. It also helps people find truths, and even many untruths of some of the most controversial topics in life. Politics and Philosophy go hand-in-hand, as politicians must talk and debate about some of the most controversial topics in life and society. I wanted to suggest to everyone here, that they study the introductions (fundamentals) to philosophy, and why they're important to help bring sanity to this country, and its politics.

Philosophy is the method, where if followed successfully, guarantees an open mind on many things.

Ron Paul is more than a politician, he's a philosopher. He uses this philosophy to help keep him a champion of the constitution, and he also uses it to determine why he stands where he stands on many issues. If you acknowledge many of Ron Pauls beliefs to be true, understanding philosophy will better assist you in understanding them. If you wish to convince the masses of why Ron Paul is the one to choose, you need to do so from a constructive and polite philosophical approach. This is the same mentality that Ron Paul encourages, rather than civil disobedience, remember? This does not mean civil disobedience doesn't have its time and place.

I apologize if this post appears to be arrogant, as this is my first post. First impressions can be painful sometimes.

Sincerely,
Philosophy and Ron Paul admirer.

(PS: There are many interpretations of [The Allegory of the Cave], read up on it yourself if you wish to better understand it, and formulate your own claims)

Napolitanic Wars
10-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Aparently it didn't transfer well to Plato, who believes the state should be made up of 3 types of people: Philospher Kings (i.e. no statesmen like Ron) Guardians (soldiers) and artisans (producers), and that these 3 groups should not mix.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Aparently it didn't transfer well to Plato, who believes the state should be made up of 3 types of people: Philospher Kings (i.e. no statesmen like Ron) Guardians (soldiers) and artisans (producers), and that these 3 groups should not mix.

Yes, many dislike Plato. Including myself.

But from what we know of Socrates. Do you see the similarities? It's intriguing.

Napolitanic Wars
10-20-2011, 04:04 PM
But from what we know of Socrates. Do you see the similarities? It's intriguing.

Of course! Even Ron's debate tactics (i.e. the Reagan question he asked everyone) are similar.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-20-2011, 04:05 PM
This would be relevant as to why people slowly wake up from their majority-based thinking patterns, and become familiar with what Ron is saying.

This would be relevant as to why Ron wanted to question people at the CNN debate the other night (which he did). You can tell he wants to do more.

This would be relevant as to why Ron attracts a smaller minority of people that are far more rational, logical, or intellectual.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Of course! Even Ron's debate tactics (i.e. the Reagan question he asked everyone) are similar.

Yes, people were momentarily silent after that question. Similar to how Euthyphro gradually lost the desire to debate with Socrates, and began agreeing with Socrates. Euthyphro's answers become shorter and shorter, and eventually desired to make up an excuse to opt out of the debate. That was the turning point in that recent GOP debate, which made people go "whoaaaaa, wait a second, why does he seem so logical?" That's when more people started listening to a new tune, and slowly they awaken.

Sunstruck-Eden
10-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Well, having studied Plato for a year or two, here's my two cents. The Philosopher King/Queen is what Ron Paul would be if President. The Philosopher King was meant to be a person that was made up of the three virtues: wisdom, temperance, and honor (the last one can also be courage). They would be unyeilding to those who were subjected to the vices, especially gluttony. And, the Philosopher King must completely understood the final virtue that was needed to rule a people: Justice. Also, Plato believed in a Republic, what Ron and the Founding Fathers believed in. However, there is one thing Ron would never do that Plato believes is a Philosopher King's responsibility: to tell noble lies to the people (like telling people that they have copper, silver, or gold in their blood and that designates where they are placed in the world).