PDA

View Full Version : Stick a fork in the US trucking industry.

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Another blue collar, middle class job path, gone.

1st Mexican truck to enter US interior within days

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/19/3989330/first-mexican-truck-to-enter-us.html

phill4paul
10-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Coming to You. Ese!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3sFxo1uyPCE_T71CWDIncNCvBdmTkY G1X1TnHAFEsDVd5RybA

http://a4cgr.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/09-405/

Brian4Liberty
10-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Can US trucks drive into Mexico?

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 03:11 PM

As far as I know, no.

moostraks
10-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Web search turned up this:"President Obama is putting Mexican truckers back on US highways with another pilot program. Mexico relaxed its import tax penalties in response...

US drivers are also allowed to deliver loads to Mexican cities but it looks like they or their companies will be too afraid to risk driving loads into Mexico so this is a one way street. Mexican trucks are not allowed to deliver loads from one US city to another. They must deliver loads picked up in the US, formerly hauled by US drivers, into Mexico. There doesn’t seem to be anything preventing trucks from immediately turning around and delivering their loads to nearby cities in border states after touching base in Mexico.

It gets worse. The Obama administration, realizing that Mexican trucks might have safety problems, will be spending taxpayer money to bring Mexican trucks into compliance so they can compete for US trucking contracts.

"It is outrageous that we would spend tax dollars to pay for equipment on Mexican trucks; equipment which either the Mexican government or Mexican carriers should be required to pay." "It is outrageous that American truckers, through the fuel tax, will subsidize the cost of doing business for these Mexican carriers." -Rep. DeFazio"

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?10600-Obama-drives-US-Teamsters-jobs-to-Mexico

Bosco Warden
10-20-2011, 03:27 PM
I work for a trucking company and I dont know of any ports in Mexico that would affect our trucking, right now we use port of Long Beach. But when the NAU super highway is done I can see it going through the gulf of Mexico, up through Texas into KC, then into Canada. Its going to be years off but thisisnt good in anyway, shape or form.

If you go over to the Eagle forum, they have a been following this for years, and has the most complete information to date on this. Kansas City os going to have a super hub for frieght.

http://www.eagleforum.org/topics/NAU/

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 03:27 PM
US drivers are also allowed to deliver loads to Mexican cities but it looks like they or their companies will be too afraid to risk driving loads into Mexico so this is a one way street

Yeah, that sounds about right, technically allowed to, but for all practical purposes, forbidden, due to liability and insurance costs.

Czolgosz
10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Isn't this part of that international highway all the media said wasn't gonna happen, and you guys are conspiracy kooks?

ZanZibar
10-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Look up Texas Tans Corridor.

donnay
10-20-2011, 03:48 PM
I work for a trucking company and I dont know of any ports in Mexico that would affect our trucking, right now we use port of Long Beach. But when the NAU super highway is done I can see it going through the gulf of Mexico, up through Texas into KC, then into Canada. Its going to be years off but thisisnt good in anyway, shape or form.

If you go over to the Eagle forum, they have a been following this for years, and has the most complete information to date on this. Kansas City os going to have a super hub for frieght.

http://www.eagleforum.org/topics/NAU/

Kansas City will be the first check point. So these guys can technically bring in a nuclear bomb and no one would know it. *SIGH*

Rick Perry is all in favor of this of the Trans-Texas Corridor!! :mad:

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Furthermore, the Mexican drivers will not have to comply with TWIC.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
10-20-2011, 03:51 PM
The best way for a pimp to keep his American whores in their place is to show them how easily eager Mexican whores can be imported over here to work for less. You know, we need to make up a new name for something less than a job. Then these bastard Washingtonians will stop patting themselves on the back for creating shitty jobs. Shibs? Shobs? Shit job is just too vulgar.
"Hey dude, how's it going?"
"Well, it could be better!"
"Why, what is the problem?"
"Well, I only have a damned shib!"
"Oh, you only have a shitty job?"
"Yea, I could make more collecting unemployment benefits and collecting food stamps!"

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Furthermore, the Mexican drivers will not have to comply with TWIC.

This is all leading up to the next future military conflict. Why do something like securing our borders to make the American people happy when an opportunist can hold off and create a huge military conflict out of it to make everyone in the world even more miserable?

Czolgosz
10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Look up Texas Tans Corridor.

Yup, that's it!

phill4paul
10-20-2011, 04:07 PM
The best way for a pimp to keep his American whores in their place is to show them how easily eager Mexican whores can be imported over here to work for less. You know, we need to make up a new name for something less than a job. Then these bastard Washingtonians will stop patting themselves on the back for creating shitty jobs. Shibs? Shobs? Shit job is just too vulgar.
"Hey dude, how's it going?"
"Well, it could be better!"
"Why, what is the problem?"
"Well, I only have a damned shib!"
"Oh, you only have a shitty job?"
"Yea, I could make more collecting unemployment benefits and collecting food stamps!"

Damn, you could carry the Carlin mantle with that one!

specsaregood
10-20-2011, 04:08 PM
It gets worse. The Obama administration, realizing that Mexican trucks might have safety problems, will be spending taxpayer money to bring Mexican trucks into compliance so they can compete for US trucking contracts.

Uhm, wait. We are paying to update mexican trucks so they can compete with US companies. ugh.

Cutlerzzz
10-20-2011, 04:10 PM
We are subsidizing their trucks with tax payer dollars?

Brian4Liberty
10-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Web search turned up this:"President Obama is putting Mexican truckers back on US highways with another pilot program. Mexico relaxed its import tax penalties in response...

US drivers are also allowed to deliver loads to Mexican cities but it looks like they or their companies will be too afraid to risk driving loads into Mexico so this is a one way street. Mexican trucks are not allowed to deliver loads from one US city to another. They must deliver loads picked up in the US, formerly hauled by US drivers, into Mexico. There doesn’t seem to be anything preventing trucks from immediately turning around and delivering their loads to nearby cities in border states after touching base in Mexico.

"It is outrageous that we would spend tax dollars to pay for equipment on Mexican trucks; equipment which either the Mexican government or Mexican carriers should be required to pay." "It is outrageous that American truckers, through the fuel tax, will subsidize the cost of doing business for these Mexican carriers." -Rep. DeFazio"

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?10600-Obama-drives-US-Teamsters-jobs-to-Mexico

So, Mexico has (and will continue) import taxes...I believe they also have other fees too. So much for "free trade".

And as a bonus, US taxpayers will upgrade their trucks? Great.

Brian4Liberty
10-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Uhm, wait. We are paying to update mexican trucks so they can compete with US companies. ugh.

Must be Obama's Jobs Czar Jeff Immelt at work again. Does GE do any business related to truck upgrades?

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 05:58 PM

So, Mexico has (and will continue) import taxes...I believe they also have other fees too. So much for "free trade".

And as a bonus, US taxpayers will upgrade their trucks? Great.

Great how that works isn't it?

Just another couple of more strides toward the race to the bottom, another day in the dying Empire, just another milepost on the road to the fully integrated Global Borg Hive...

And few of us insignificant refuseniks will bitch and grumble, and the system will roll right on.

Deborah K
10-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Great how that works isn't it?

Just another couple of more strides toward the race to the bottom, another day in the dying Empire, just another milepost on the road to the fully integrated Global Borg Hive...

And few of us insignificant refuseniks will bitch and grumble, and the system will roll right on.

Not when the solar flares hit in Dec '12. LOL! The EMPs will knock us all off the grid and then it will be a free for all!!

torchbearer
10-20-2011, 06:34 PM
I fail to see how government intervention into the free flow of goods and labor is a good thing.

Brian4Liberty
10-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I fail to see how government intervention into the free flow of goods and labor is a good thing.

I used to be a "free flow of goods and labor" kind of guy. Not any longer. Experience has shown that every time the GOVERNMENT does anything, they are screwing us. So no matter which idealistic concept might be slightly referenced when the GOVERNMENT is selling a new plan, I still know that it is a GOVERNMENT plan, devised by people who only want to destroy the middle class for their own profit, power and amusement.

torchbearer
10-20-2011, 08:57 PM
I used to be a "free flow of goods and labor" kind of guy. Not any longer. Experience has shown that every time the GOVERNMENT does anything, they are screwing us. So no matter which idealistic concept might be slightly referenced when the GOVERNMENT is selling a new plan, I still know that it is a GOVERNMENT plan, devised by people who only want to destroy the middle class for their own profit, power and amusement.

here is a genuine idea, get the government out of the way and let people participate in any economic activity they want.
if you don't have the right to tell me how to engage in my business affairs, where does the government derive its power to do so?
are you saying the government should be a power onto itself?
a just government derives it powers from the people. if you don't have a right over my capital, where does the government derive that power?

Texan4Life
10-20-2011, 09:39 PM
wow... FWIW we truck into canada (not sure canada can truck back or not).

I wonder if DOT is gonna be pulling these mexican trucks over for roadside inspection like they do US trucks. (along with the BIG $$ tickets)

DO they even have to comply with our rules & regs?

flightlesskiwi
10-20-2011, 09:48 PM

not to diss on you, bro, but you're just now catching on to this? :p

the amazing thing... in times of economic depression/high unemployment, the truck driving industry has been somewhat of a haven for white and blue collar workers willing to put themselves in that field.

i've talked to several truck drivers about this. many see this as the industry killer.

on the bright side, it's a REALLY good gateway to spreading Ron's message!! (at truck stops, seriously)

flightlesskiwi
10-20-2011, 09:57 PM
and i'd like to say that there may be regulations in place, but the first time a mexican driver plows into a busload of retirees on their way to the Grand Canyon, the Feds will throw up their hands and say that the federal regulations are in place, but the enforcement is left to the local level.

Maverick
10-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Are you guys mad about this because of increased competition, or because Fedgov has it's grubby, dirty little fingerprints all over it?

I'll say that this particular plan and the intention to subsidize Mexican trucks with US taxpayer money is absolutely wrong. Actually increasing free trade would be a good thing economically. But this plan includes too many subsidies, kickbacks, and exceptions to actually be considered free-trade.

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Are you kidding me?

I've been all over this like stink on shit for years now. ;)

But you know how it is, in the immortal words of The Who: "Sun shines, people forget".

So, here I am, after years of bitching, posting about it as it happens, just for those of whom may have forgotten.

And of course it will hurt the domestic trucking industry badly, and put tens of thousands out of work. There's a school of economic/political thought that somehow says that's a good thing, declining wages and living standards are supposed to be the norm, we're nothing special, we're ruining the planet anyways and the rest of the world deserves to live like us so we'll just have to get used to tyranny, oppression, mud huts and millet three times a day.

Oh, and I want my cheap Wal Marx shit, now.

So here we are.

not to diss on you, bro, but you're just now catching on to this? :p

the amazing thing... in times of economic depression/high unemployment, the truck driving industry has been somewhat of a haven for white and blue collar workers willing to put themselves in that field.

i've talked to several truck drivers about this. many see this as the industry killer.

on the bright side, it's a REALLY good gateway to spreading Ron's message!! (at truck stops, seriously)

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Are you guys mad about this because of increased competition, or because Fedgov has it's grubby, dirty little fingerprints all over it?

I'll say that this particular plan and the intention to subsidize Mexican trucks with US taxpayer money is absolutely wrong. Actually increasing free trade would be a good thing economically. But this plan includes too many subsidies, kickbacks, and exceptions to actually be considered free-trade.

Both.

A flood of cheap labor or goods from communist prison societies or failed narco states, all managed by globalist agreements that take trade decisions from the people's representatives, is not "competition".

To have my tax dollars subsidize that on top of everything else is fucking insane.

Maverick
10-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Both.

A flood of cheap labor or goods from communist prison societies or failed narco states, all managed by globalist agreements that take trade decisions from the people's representatives, is not "competition".

To have my tax dollars subsidize that on top of everything else is fucking insane.

I agree that these agreements managed by our "betters" are usually not representative of nor encouraging of actual free trade. I agree that these subsidies would be wrong, and would cause distortions in the market rather than allow the market to work.

However - if by some miracle we actually achieve the free society we're struggling for - I don't believe it would be appropriate to tell others where and with whom they are allowed to do business.

Pauls' Revere
10-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Bet The Teamsters love this stuff.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/news-detail.asp?news_id=75074

specsaregood
10-20-2011, 10:30 PM
I agree that these agreements managed by our "betters" are usually not representative of nor encouraging of actual free trade. I agree that these subsidies would be wrong, and would cause distortions in the market rather than allow the market to work.

However - if by some miracle we actually achieve the free society we're struggling for - I don't believe it would be appropriate to tell others where and with whom they are allowed to do business.

Of course we are most likely subsidizing the use of our roads as well. If they are filling up their trucks prior to crossing the border, that gives them a range of at least a thousand miles before they buy fuel and pay for the taxes that upkeep/build the roads. they may very well be coming in and back out without paying 1 penny of the costs of the roads.

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 10:40 PM

You won't get an argument from me on that.

james1844
10-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Hi All,

Is this an issue that we get traction on in terms of Ron Paul 2012 outreach?

CaptainAmerica
10-20-2011, 10:46 PM
oh great, more cafta,nafta bullshit

Danke
10-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah, but won't this lead to me saving a couple of cents at Walmart? ...until i don't have a job to afford to go to Walmart anymore. Next, airlines. Fuck safety. Those unions are ruining everything.

heavenlyboy34
10-20-2011, 11:02 PM

Sounds like the Giant Sucking Sound Perot predicted.

heavenlyboy34
10-20-2011, 11:07 PM
here is a genuine idea, get the government out of the way and let people participate in any economic activity they want.
if you don't have the right to tell me how to engage in my business affairs, where does the government derive its power to do so?
are you saying the government should be a power onto itself?
a just government derives it powers from the people. if you don't have a right over my capital, where does the government derive that power?
What? Allowing people to engage in peaceful activities on their own property? Without the regime's permission? Madness! It will be ANARCHY!! /sarcasm ;)

Brian4Liberty
10-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Sounds like the Giant Sucking Sound Perot predicted.

You don't hear the sucking sound until the tub is almost empty. :o

Bosco Warden
10-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi All,

Is this an issue that we get traction on in terms of Ron Paul 2012 outreach?

I wish, I've been debating this on a few trucking forums for a few months, dumb as rocks. I am not sure they even understand the implications of Mexican trucks coming into the country yet, yeah, dumb as rocks.

Would would have better luck converting AIPAC people.

flightlesskiwi
10-21-2011, 07:30 AM
I wish, I've been debating this on a few trucking forums for a few months, dumb as rocks. I am not sure they even understand the implications of Mexican trucks coming into the country yet, yeah, dumb as rocks.

Would would have better luck converting AIPAC people.

i disagree. forums are one thing, in person (at truck stops) is another.

the truckers i have spoken with are VERY aware of the implications here. maybe because they are owner/operators (?).

i just don't know the statistics of how often/if at all truck drivers vote and how "worth it" it would be if they don't vote. and getting them registered when most don't live in the state one would be campaigning in would be a challenge.

also: does anyone else predict their auto insurance premiums will rise due to this? in 3, 2, 1....

Danke
10-21-2011, 08:52 AM

the truckers i have spoken with...

You hang out at truck stops....o, kaaay.

libertybrewcity
10-21-2011, 09:32 AM
bye bye US jobs

flightlesskiwi
10-21-2011, 09:39 AM
You hang out at truck stops....o, kaaay.

Haha!! Noooo. I have friends who are truckers and I also live in a "crossroads" type town. There are diners that truck drivers stop at to eat and I also sometimes dine at them.

And I've gotten compliments on my Ron Paul shirt from truckers at gas stations while travelling.

tfurrh
10-21-2011, 09:56 AM
I've been in the truckin industry for 4 years now. And I hope I can refer to races without being called a racist here.....because I am not a racist.

The Mexican companies are not what the trucking industry needs to worry about. And US companies can deliver in MX. We just have more customs to go through.

Anyway. You would not believe how many companies are out there that are owned/operated by middle eastern immigrants. The gov't subsidizes their start-up, and the middle-eastern companies make up about (this is a guess on my end) >1/5th of the logistics.

Now, with our fuel stations ran (majorily) by middle eastern immigrants, and a good portion of the trucking industry owned by the same. It is a great fear among those in transportation/logistics that the next 9/11 type attack could by massively orchestraded by those in the said industry.

I don't want to generalize, but I'm just saying the concern is there.

But yes, the trucking industry has been in the crapper since Sept 11th, and nothing is hitting us harder than this recession.

Also, the inflation can really be seen when you're in this industry. Fuel prices were more expensive in 08, but line-haul rates are higher now.....when people ask me why that is, I always use the opportunity to explain inflation/spending/bailouts/fiat money....and hopefully I can get as far as Ron Paul.

Working Poor
10-21-2011, 09:57 AM
sounds like Obama is creating jobs just not in the right country maybe he knows something we don't.

wannaberocker
10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Im a bit confused. Why are people against it? Is it because of security purposes? Is it because folks believe in Mercantilism? What exactly makes this a Bad Idea? anyone wanna explain this to me?

CaptUSA
10-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Instructions on how to use this to our advantage: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?323351-I-think-this-could-be-a-great-idea!

I floated this idea, but didn't get much traction. Please take a second look.

tfurrh
10-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Canadian companies have been doing this for decades. ICC regulates that they have to reload going back into Canada. I wonder if the same applies for MX carriers.

flightlesskiwi
10-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Im a bit confused. Why are people against it? Is it because of security purposes? Is it because folks believe in Mercantilism? What exactly makes this a Bad Idea? anyone wanna explain this to me?

some are against it because the US taxpayer will be subsidizing the Mexican drivers with training, licensing, retrofitting their trucks, etc etc etc.

it also gives an "excuse" for the TSA and DHS to grow.

Brian4Liberty
10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Must be Obama's Jobs Czar Jeff Immelt at work again. Does GE do any business related to truck upgrades?

Answered my own question. Wouldn't it be convenient if buried somewhere in the legislation is requirements to use products that are primarily produced by GE?:

GE Capital:
"GE Capital, Transportation Finance is the industry-leader when it comes to financing for the commercial trucking industry."
http://gecapsol.com/cms/servlet/cmsview/GE_Capital_Solutions/prod/en/about_us/businesses/transportation.html

GE VeriWise Solutions for Trucking:
http://www.ge.com/equipmentservices/assetintelligence/solutions/segments/trucking/index.html

GE Transportation Division:
http://www.getransportation.com/

roughridersten
10-21-2011, 10:35 AM
we are against it because the US taxpayer will be subsidizing the Mexican drivers with training, licensing, retrofitting their trucks, etc etc etc.

it also gives an "excuse" for the TSA and DHS to grow.

Is that all "we" are mad about? Because there are several comments that seem to be mad that the Mexican trucks are allowed into the country at all. Seriously, I feel like I have stumbled into an OWS forum... (I'm not directing that at you, flightlesskiwi, but at those that express dismay at the idea of Mexican trucks in America)

Obviously, taxpayers subsidizing Mexican trucks is bad policy, but some of you want to keep them out because they are Mexican? Everything I have ever read about Ron Paul indicates his support for free trade. Are you guys against trade with China too? Should we only allow "American" boats to carry goods to our ports? Where are you guys going with this? I thought most Ron Paul supporters were pretty well versed in Austrian Economics...

flightlesskiwi
10-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Is that all "we" are mad about? Because there are several comments that seem to be mad that the Mexican trucks are allowed into the country at all. Seriously, I feel like I have stumbled into an OWS forum... (I'm not directing that at you, flightlesskiwi, but at those that express dismay at the idea of Mexican trucks in America)

Obviously, taxpayers subsidizing Mexican trucks is bad policy, but some of you want to keep them out because they are Mexican? Everything I have ever read about Ron Paul indicates his support for free trade. Are you guys against trade with China too? Should we only allow "American" boats to carry goods to our ports? Where are you guys going with this? I thought most Ron Paul supporters were pretty well versed in Austrian Economics...

understood. and i will edit my post to say "some".

but one point on the fear factor... how long until the automobile insurance industry uses Mexican truck drivers on the roads as reason to up the cost of premiums??

roughridersten
10-21-2011, 11:09 AM
understood. and i will edit my post to say "some".

but one point on the fear factor... how long until the automobile insurance industry uses Mexican truck drivers on the roads as reason to up the cost of premiums??

I assume the insurance premiums will only go up if the roads do in fact become less safe (competition and all that). If the Mexican drivers must pass the same vehicle inspections we do and must be insured themselves, why would the roads actually be less safe?

Now, as for us subsidizing the requirements, yes that is stupid. It should work for them the same way it does for me: If I want to drive my car on roads in the US, I pay to have my car inspected and I pay for insurance. They should pay the inspection costs and insurance costs. If they pass, I have no problem with them driving on our roads.

libertarian4321
10-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Why is it so terrible that Mexican trucks can take Mexican produced goods into the USA, especially now that they are supposed to comply with our safety standards and traffic laws?

I can see why the unions are against it. Mexican trucks used to take Mexican goods to the border, where they had to drop them off and have the picked up by an American (often union) trucker. That is very inefficient.

Given that Mexican produced goods are only a tiny percentage of the goods transported in this country (most are American made, with China being the largest foreign producer), I don't see this as "the end" of the American trucking industry.

Czolgosz
10-21-2011, 12:04 PM
It's the strangling of American business by the Fed (and Unions) that'll kill American trucking as Mexican trucks begin taking over.

Anti Federalist
10-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Why is it so terrible that Mexican trucks can take Mexican produced goods into the USA, especially now that they are supposed to comply with our safety standards and traffic laws?

I can see why the unions are against it. Mexican trucks used to take Mexican goods to the border, where they had to drop them off and have the picked up by an American (often union) trucker. That is very inefficient.

Given that Mexican produced goods are only a tiny percentage of the goods transported in this country (most are American made, with China being the largest foreign producer), I don't see this as "the end" of the American trucking industry.

The long term plan is to move the shipping into Mexico where the containerized traffic will then be brought in on Mexican trucks.

People are upset, I'm upset, because yet more downward pressure will be applied to living standards and wages, making it even harder for people to make a living and driving even more people into taking government jobs to try and keep up.

And I already know that people's hardship and trying to maintain a middle class lifestyle has no place in the pure efficiency economic arguments.

Which is why you have an OWS, because people are fairly tired of being told to eat cake, and we in the freedom movement have done a piss poor job of explaining how our position can help a struggling family keep their home or a working man his dignity.

Bosco Warden
10-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Want to help stop it?

if youre a teamster.

https://secure3.convio.net/ibt/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=651

specsaregood
10-21-2011, 02:41 PM

how about using us taxpayer money to pay to upgrade mexican trucks to comply with our standards? you ok with that? :)

Bosco Warden
10-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Want to help stop it?

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A TEAMSTER TO FILL THIS OUT AND GET THIS STOPPED. PLEASE HELP STOP UNSAFE MEXICAN TRUCKS FROM ENTERING US HIGHWAYS

THANKS!!

flightlesskiwi
10-21-2011, 03:06 PM
I assume the insurance premiums will only go up if the roads do in fact become less safe (competition and all that). If the Mexican drivers must pass the same vehicle inspections we do and must be insured themselves, why would the roads actually be less safe?

Now, as for us subsidizing the requirements, yes that is stupid. It should work for them the same way it does for me: If I want to drive my car on roads in the US, I pay to have my car inspected and I pay for insurance. They should pay the inspection costs and insurance costs. If they pass, I have no problem with them driving on our roads.

If insurance premiums are only ever increased because more accidents occur, why is it that the closer I live to the US/Mexico border the more my car insurance costs??

Also, what competition? Automobile insurance is mandatory, backed by the threat of government fines if I choose not to carry it.

The car insurance industry is a racket.

Danke
10-21-2011, 03:44 PM
YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A TEAMSTER TO FILL THIS OUT AND GET THIS STOPPED. PLEASE HELP STOP UNSAFE MEXICAN TRUCKS FROM ENTERING US HIGHWAYS

THANKS!!

Passed along.

You might want to PM flightlesskiwi to spread it. She hangs out at Truck Stops.

roughridersten
10-21-2011, 03:57 PM
If insurance premiums are only ever increased because more accidents occur, why is it that the closer I live to the US/Mexico border the more my car insurance costs??

Also, what competition? Automobile insurance is mandatory, backed by the threat of government fines if I choose not to carry it.

The car insurance industry is a racket.

I know nothing about whether that is true or not. Do you have proof that proximity to Mexico causes rates to increase? If this is true, do you have proof that this is not due to increased accidents in this area?

However, you seem to claim that insurance companies can raise rates for any reason (I'm not defending the industry and the government intervention, just pointing out your claims). Why aren't they raising them because the Iraq war is over, or because Obama is president, or because it's Friday?

If they can do this, you should focus your complaints on the insurance industry, not Mexico trucks (as that is not the real reason they are raising rates). My point is: you seem to suggest that they will use this as an illegitimate excuse to raise rates. But my point is that if they could get away with raising rates for no reason, they would already be doing it.

Southron
10-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Canadian truckers already benefit the most from allowing their trucks to enter the U.S. I think close to 70% of the freight goes to Canadian drivers. And the rules saying that Mexican drivers are only allowed to take a load right back to Mexico is entirely unenforcible. Canadian drivers already pickup and deliver multiple loads in the U.S. without heading back to Canada and there is nothing done.

I think the goal here is to squeeze out the small companies and Owner-Operators. The giant trucking companies already have Mexican operations. I have delivered trailers in Laredo and our trailers would come back stripped of almost anything that the Mexicans could steal. I don't think U.S. drivers will be safe in Mexico. And FMCSA is trying to pass stricter hours of service regulations, thus creating shortages of drivers. They create the problem and say Mexican drivers are the solution.

flightlesskiwi
10-21-2011, 04:20 PM
I know nothing about whether that is true or not. Do you have proof that proximity to Mexico causes rates to increase? If this is true, do you have proof that this is not due to increased accidents in this area?

However, you seem to claim that insurance companies can raise rates for any reason (I'm not defending the industry and the government intervention, just pointing out your claims). Why aren't they raising them because the Iraq war is over, or because Obama is president, or because it's Friday?

If they can do this, you should focus your complaints on the insurance industry, not Mexico trucks (as that is not the real reason they are raising rates). My point is: you seem to suggest that they will use this as an illegitimate excuse to raise rates. But my point is that if they could get away with raising rates for no reason, they would already be doing it.

my point is the fear of Mexican truck drivers could provoke a reason for rate increases.

m'kay. your rates have not risen? ever? i'm accident free, ticket free, i "insurance shop" around every year and still the company i've been with for nearly 20 years provides me the best rate. and still my rates have risen every year.

the interesting thing is: statistically, nationally automobile accidents have been going down, while the number of licensed drives and registered vehicles has been going up (http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Trends/TrendsGeneral.aspx).

but, yeah, the automobile insurance industry has its reasons (other than insurance being compulsory).

you're right. i'll go write my insurance company now. and wait for my rates to go up. because it's Friday.

heavenlyboy34
10-21-2011, 04:29 PM

the truckers i have spoken with are VERY aware of the implications here. maybe because they are owner/operators (?).

i just don't know the statistics of how often/if at all truck drivers vote and how "worth it" it would be if they don't vote. and getting them registered when most don't live in the state one would be campaigning in would be a challenge.

also: does anyone else predict their auto insurance premiums will rise due to this? in 3, 2, 1....
Don't most states allow voting by mail(or absentee ballots)? Mine does.

flightlesskiwi
10-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Don't most states allow voting by mail(or absentee ballots)? Mine does.

yes (all states do)! my concerns are: hopefully the truckers who are on the road a lot would have the ability to receive the absentee ballot in the mail, and the whole "registering them to vote" issue-- if i'm in NM, but the truck driver is a MO resident, i don't have the proper forms to help register.

Czolgosz
10-21-2011, 04:42 PM

http://smiliesftw.com/x/smiley-rofl.gif

heavenlyboy34
10-21-2011, 04:43 PM
yes (all states do)! my concerns are: hopefully the truckers who are on the road a lot would have the ability to receive the absentee ballot in the mail, and the whole "registering them to vote" issue-- if i'm in NM, but the truck driver is a MO resident, i don't have the proper forms to help register.
Good point. The trucker could register online with his home state's secretary of state. I changed my party affiliation this way. The difficulty would be, as you say, finding a PO box or something that a trucker could get that stuff from.

flightlesskiwi
10-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Passed along.

i'm sure if i actually hung out at truck stops i'd have a hell of a lot more money than i have now.

Danke
10-21-2011, 05:06 PM
i'm sure if i actually hung out at truck stops i'd have a hell of a lot more money than i have now.

Just leave your assault rifle at home next time.

Texan4Life
10-21-2011, 06:05 PM

I agree. The older truck drivers i have talked too remember how trucking USED to be and are very much against all this "free trade" crap. not to mention government regulation IE the DOT.

for example:

Did you know trucks have to have NAFTA registration stickers ?
Did you know you can be fined by DOT for not having windshield washer fluid?
Did you know large trucking companies get paid by the GOV to train new drivers?
Anti-Idling laws: It's illegal to leave a pet in a vehicle with no A/C, yet it is illegal in many areas to idle a truck so the driver can sleep in comfort.

With younger drivers, they don't know the difference. and most large companies take the hit and install $12,000 APUs so the trucks can comply and not idle.

Anti Federalist
10-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Anti-Idling laws: It's illegal to leave a pet in a vehicle with no A/C, yet it is illegal in many areas to idle a truck so the driver can sleep in comfort.

With younger drivers, they don't know the difference. and most large companies take the hit and install $12,000 APUs so the trucks can comply and not idle.

Until it reaches the point of stoppage, nobody will ever care.

But let the trucks stop for a week and watch what happens.

flightlesskiwi
10-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Until it reaches the point of stoppage, nobody will ever care.

But let the trucks stop for a week and watch what happens.

qft.

riots in the streets.

libertarian4321
10-22-2011, 03:58 AM
how about using us taxpayer money to pay to upgrade mexican trucks to comply with our standards? you ok with that? :)

No, if this is true, it's insane.

But as a general principal, I don't have a problem with allowing Mexican truckers to haul Mexican goods into the USA (and vice versa).

Southron
10-22-2011, 04:48 AM
This is all a result of NAFTA. There is really no need for foreign workers on our highways except for artificial needs created by the federal government. There was nothing wrong with the way we used to do things. I have been at the border when the Mexicans come over on Monday to pick up trailers. They drove like a bunch of maniacs in trucks that were falling apart.

Again, this is entirely unnecessary and any driver shortage is government induced. If you want to bring down freight prices then you should be fighting to stop FMCSA and its BS Hours of Service rules rather than importing foreigners.

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-22-2011, 05:13 AM
between this and $1000.00 tickets for no good reason, yeah who will be willing to still keep at it ?

and now that the medical marijuana community has been pretty much shut down and we have testimony that the USG enables the Mexican cartels they work with to bring in their contraband, this just might be a coincidence in timing, but sure is a convenient possibility for them

Southron
10-22-2011, 05:32 AM
between this and $1000.00 tickets for no good reason, yeah who will be willing to still keep at it ?

and now that the medical marijuana community has been pretty much shut down and we have testimony that the USG enables the Mexican cartels they work with to bring in their contraband, this just might be a coincidence in timing, but sure is a convenient possibility for them

Just think how easy it will be for the ATF to run guns to the cartels when they can cut out American citizens that might rat them out.

TruckinMike
10-22-2011, 07:49 AM
This is all a result of NAFTA. There is really no need for foreign workers on our highways except for artificial needs created by the federal government. There was nothing wrong with the way we used to do things. I have been at the border when the Mexicans come over on Monday to pick up trailers. They drove like a bunch of maniacs in trucks that were falling apart.

Again, this is entirely unnecessary and any driver shortage is government induced. If you want to bring down freight prices then you should be fighting to stop FMCSA and its BS Hours of Service rules rather than importing foreigners.

Wow, Its genius,majic presto -- instant job creation!! What really needs to happen now is to pass a law shortening the work week for all employees from 40 hours to only 36 hours and forbid overtime under penalty of LAW! -- Thats a 9% reduction, just like the new trucking "hours of service" rules coming our way-- Just think of the jobs that would be created.

Gosh... its so easy.:rolleyes:

TMike

KCIndy
10-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Wish I could give you more than one +Rep for that one. You're dead on, 100% correct.

Anti Federalist
10-22-2011, 11:03 AM
This is just another step to corralling the last of the independent people in this society.

The fact that the full brunt of the regulatory state is being wielded against the last of the truly independent people, truckers, ranchers, small farmers, mariners, commercial fishermen and so on, is no mistake, it is being done on purpose.

We're the perfect type of people for government to fuck with, small, hard to organize, and a constituency that no one gives a shit about.

Commercial fishermen have been being treated like lab rats by government for 30 years now.