PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan: GOP Risks Third Party Revolt with Romney Candidacy

bobbyw24
10-20-2011, 04:10 AM
The GOP could face a revolt from within its tea party grassroots base if it nominates an establishment candidate without true conservative, anti-big government values, one of America’s leading conservative pundits tells Newsmax.TV in an exclusive interview.

Specifically, columnist and former Republican presidential candidate Pat Buchanan told Newsmax that the nomination of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, the architect of a state insurance plan that many say inspired Obamacare, could prompt the tea party movement to form a third party.

“It’s a real possibility because the tea party folks and the Republican conservatives and social conservatives and others are very apprehensive of Mitt Romney and they don’t feel he is really one of us,” Buchanan told Newsmax.

“They’ve got reason for that feeling and that sentiment but if they do that, if, for example … they persuaded Ron Paul to run on a third party ticket, Barack Obama would be easily re-elected,” he added.

Story continues below.

Read more http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/buchanan-republican-romney-tea/2011/10/19/id/415112

123tim
10-20-2011, 04:14 AM
“They’ve got reason for that feeling and that sentiment but if they do that, if, for example … they persuaded Ron Paul to run on a third party ticket, Barack Obama would be easily re-elected,” he added.

Maybe we could pursuade Mitt Romney to run on a third party ticket? :)

FreedomProsperityPeace
10-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Another party doesn't need to be formed. There are already many options that don't involve Romney. The GOP had better think it over very carefully.

bobbyw24
10-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Maybe we could pursuade Mitt Romney to run on a third party ticket? :)

One can always dream

Corey
10-20-2011, 04:53 AM
I don't think RP would run 3rd Party.

But if he does, we need to take control of the narrative right away! The idea is that the Republican Party should unite behind a real Conservative, or lose. And the neo-con in the lead is the one who is guilty for causing the split, and the loss. Constantly use the line about uniting behind our guy so we can beat Obama.....

cindy25
10-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Ron would take as many votes from Obama as from Romney. It would end up in the house, and anything could happen

Sematary
10-20-2011, 07:06 AM
If the Tea Party splits off then they will become as irrelevant in American politics as every OTHER third party. Personally, I won't miss them.

brushfire
10-20-2011, 07:08 AM
One more example of how a vote for anyone other than Ron Paul is a vote for Obama.

Sematary
10-20-2011, 07:40 AM
One more example of how a vote for anyone other than Ron Paul is a vote for Obama.

A vote for anyone other than Ron Paul is simply a vote for the status quo oligarchy. Doesn't matter who gets in there. You think Mittens will be any different than Obama?

trey4sports
10-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Ron will not run 3rd party. If Ron doesn't get the nomination then by all means, someone start a 3rd party because I want to see Obama get re-elected.

CaptUSA
10-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Something that hasn't been mentioned, yet?

Does the establishment run a 3rd party candidate when Ron Paul wins? Answer? Oh, you better believe it!

Created4
10-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Ron would take as many votes from Obama as from Romney. It would end up in the house, and anything could happen

I agree. The dark horse here in Sarah Palin. If she too wanted to run as a third party candidate, that could be problematic. But Ron Paul straight up against Romney and Obama would not guarantee an Obama win at all.

The biggest problem would be the perception that already exists that Ron Paul is not electable. That perception would only increase as a third party candidate, unless he can last well into the primary season and stay near the top, say second to Romney, for example. If he started gaining steam and people started to think "Hey wait a minute, I agree with more of what Ron Paul says than anyone else. Maybe he is electable" but then see Romney begin to edge him out due to corporate sponsorship and GOP leadership endorsement, well, then anything is possible. But we have a long ways to go before this scenario could potentially play out. We all just have to assume Dr. Paul is NOT running as 3rd party, and work hard to get him more exposure within the GOP base, and get democrats to register as republican in the primaries. Look at how fast Cain went up in public perception. He can fall just as fast. It is just too early to talk about 3rd party.

brushfire
10-20-2011, 08:37 AM
A vote for anyone other than Ron Paul is simply a vote for the status quo oligarchy. Doesn't matter who gets in there. You think Mittens will be any different than Obama?

No, but I believe Mittens is likely to lose against obama in the general. Obama is the status quo oligarchy, as are all the other candidates ('cept Paul and Johnson)

musicmax
10-20-2011, 08:47 AM

Does the establishment run a 3rd party candidate when Ron Paul wins? Answer? Oh, you better believe it!

???? They already have Obozo. Eight wars, more bailouts, PATRIOT extension, Bradley Manning still being tortured, Bernanke reappointed. The teleprompter-in-chief is the establishment's godsend.

smithtg
10-20-2011, 09:00 AM
later in the article buchanan shows his real colors though

Of the current Republican candidates he said, “Certainly Michele Bachmann is one of us. I think Rick Perry is. I think Herman Cain is. If you are talking about a more traditional conservative certainly I would put Santorum in there. no mention of Ron Paul

“But the question is, ‘can they win?’ and my answer to those I’ve suggested is probably not. One of them may go win a primary or two but I don’t think they can win and defeat Romney. Message to voters, Im establishment, I support the MSM candidate

“The one that has the best chance is Rick Perry and he has sort of broken his pick awful badly in the earlier debates.” (we knew that a long time ago Perry was a loser, its ok to admit the MSM is slow on these things)

This is only the most immediate concern Buchanan has for his party. Demographic changes in the United States will make it almost impossible for conservative Republicans to get elected in the future, he writes in his latest book,

Read more on Newsmax.com: Buchanan: GOP Risks Third Party Revolt with Romney Candidacy
Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

pcosmar
10-20-2011, 09:22 AM

This is true. And with so many disgusted with both parties he may actually be able to win.

But for now the GOP needs to hear,, No one but Paul

NewRightLibertarian
10-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Sounds like Buchanan wants Ron Paul to run as a third party candidate. I don't blame him.

speciallyblend
10-20-2011, 09:27 AM

yep ,i have been saying this for a long time now. Bottom line for the gop is nominate Ron Paul 2012 or the gop will elect obama/status quo 2012 bendover! 2 way race now in the gop Ron Paul vs Status Quo!!

Tinnuhana
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Doesn't hurt to get status quo people worried about the possibility.

hazek
10-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Someone should do a compilation video of all the fking times Ron was asked about 3rd party and said he wouldn't do it under the current biased and unfair rules.

Zap!
10-20-2011, 11:46 AM

One of things I most want to see in life is where no one gets the 270 needed, and it goes to the House. The Senate would decide the VP. So right now we would get a Republican President and a Democrat VP.

Philhelm
10-20-2011, 11:56 AM

If that happened, I'd...nevermind. I wouldn't be pleased. That is all.

CaptUSA
10-20-2011, 12:48 PM
???? They already have Obozo. Eight wars, more bailouts, PATRIOT extension, Bradley Manning still being tortured, Bernanke reappointed. The teleprompter-in-chief is the establishment's godsend.Which is exactly why they'd try to split the Ron Paul vote.

Bosco Warden
10-20-2011, 01:44 PM
The GOP needs to be the 3rd party, the TP is the majority of Americans, not the GOP. Lets get that straight now. FOX news dictates the conversation, thats all. Screw FOX, while they are the conservative lie machine they are still a lie machine. I still trust live CSPAN, with no political spin involved.