PDA

View Full Version : GA-Woman arrested by mistake, spends 53 days in jail before being released.

Anti Federalist
10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Atlanta woman arrested by mistake, jailed 53 days

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/atlanta-woman-arrested-by-1205009.html

By David Ibata

Atlanta police are launching an internal investigation into the case of a woman who was arrested by mistake and held in jail for nearly two months, Channel 2 Action News reports.

Police are seeking to determine what happened and if any policies or procedures were violated in the arrest of Teresa Culpepper, who spent 53 days wrongfully incarcerated in Fulton County Jail because she had the same name, Teresa, as a woman wanted by authorities.

“I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to get out this situation,” Culpepper told Channel 2.

The woman’s nightmare began Aug. 21, when she called police to report her truck had been taken from in front of her Hawkins Street home. She ended up being arrested for an aggravated assault allegedly committed by another woman named Teresa.

“Her birth date didn't match. Her address didn't match. Her description didn't match. Other than the name Teresa, nothing matched,” said Culpepper’s attorney, Ashleigh Merchant.

Channel 2 tracked down the Teresa actually wanted by police, and the woman told the TV station she had never been arrested for the alleged offense.

Culpepper finally was released Oct. 12 after her public defender got the crime victim to come to court and say the woman in custody was not the attacker.

“I was like real rejoiceful, glad and happy that it came to an end and that somebody was out there, out there trying to help me,” Culpepper said.

Ashleigh said the city now must either settle with her client or face legal action.

pcosmar
10-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Guilty till proven innocent.
:(

torchbearer
10-19-2011, 11:00 PM
writ of habeas corpus anyone?

pcosmar
10-19-2011, 11:13 PM

wasn't that repealed?

Mani
10-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Some people in the comments section are awake, some are still asleep, "No way...she must have done something....<blame mundane, blame mundane, Police would never do that, etc.>"

I used to be one of those people in shock saying, "No way! The office would never do such a thing! There must be more to the story!"

Now I just *sigh* in disgust, but not surprised when I hear this story.

Thanks a lot AF. :(

Anti Federalist
10-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Guilty till proven innocent.

"Our investigation indicates that no policies or procedures were broken, and we regret this unfortunate misstep".

Anti Federalist
10-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Some people in the comments section are awake, some are still asleep, "No way...she must have done something....<blame mundane, blame mundane, Police would never do that, etc.>"

I used to be one of those people in shock saying, "No way! The office would never do such a thing! There must be more to the story!"

Now I just *sigh* in disgust, but not surprised when I hear this story.

Thanks a lot AF. :(

For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it. - Patrick Henry

enjerth
10-19-2011, 11:42 PM
"Our investigation indicates that no policies or procedures were broken, and we regret this unfortunate misstep".

Great. So their policies permit arresting someone for having the same first name as a suspect? What a load of BS.

Don't name your kid Osama or he may be held indefinitely in Gitmo.

AGRP
10-19-2011, 11:44 PM
The woman’s nightmare began Aug. 21, when she called police to report her truck had been taken from in front of her Hawkins Street home.,,,

Anti Federalist
10-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Great. So their policies permit arresting someone for having the same first name as a suspect? What a load of BS.

Don't name your kid Osama or he may be held indefinitely in Gitmo.

My quote was tongue in cheek.

I'll wager that is exactly what the APD will find though.

Anti Federalist
10-19-2011, 11:48 PM
when she called police to report

I know I know I know...

Bosco Warden
10-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Well, I dont even need to read the article to see the problem, she is probably on the low income side of the socioeconomic spectrum and black and lives in Atlanta, whats next?

They should be thankful they're not lobbing freedom bombs into the neighborhood, that's probably next week.

Mani
10-20-2011, 01:37 AM
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it. - Patrick Henry

I may give u grief, but I actually need to see these reports and sometimes I search out your threads to remind me what injustice is out there. You are a patriot.

CaptainAmerica
10-20-2011, 03:37 AM
habeus corpus, the right to a fair and speedy trial....and last but not least a warrant for the arrest. All of which are absent from this "case"

Krugerrand
10-20-2011, 06:00 AM
I think some police officers need a paid vacation before they can be properly exonerated.

olehounddog
10-20-2011, 06:13 AM
My daughter was arrested and held here in Wilkes Co. for several hours because of the same name thing.

apex
10-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Federal government, police, and society are all out of control. Some of the things I read are too hard to believe.

phill4paul
10-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Think I'll change my name to 'Bananafartz' Not too many people out there with that name. :cool:

Pericles
10-20-2011, 09:46 AM

As any of the constitutional scholars on this board can tell you, that only applies to the federal government.:rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
10-20-2011, 12:02 PM
And you can bet your ass this happens every single day.

With the world's largest prison population, both in raw numbers and per capita, and taking into account how many people have been exonerated off death row, then taking the thousands of stories like this...well...

I'm willing to state with a high degree of confidence that roughly 25 percent of all people in prison are innocent.

Either innocent of the charges that landed them there, or wholly and totally innocent of any wrongdoing whatsoever.

Krugerrand
10-20-2011, 12:09 PM
And you can bet your ass this happens every single day.

With the world's largest prison population, both in raw numbers and per capita, and taking into account how many people have been exonerated off death row, then taking the thousands of stories like this...well...

I'm willing to state with a high degree of confidence that roughly 25 percent of all people in prison are innocent.

Either innocent of the charges that landed them there, or wholly and totally innocent of any wrongdoing whatsoever.

I'm sure its even higher if you take out those guilty of unconstitutional laws.