PDA

View Full Version : Approximately 48% of Occupy Wall Street would re-elect Obama

AuH20
10-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Still way too high for a movement that supposedly prides itself for being against crony capitalism and Wall Street fraud. Obama broke records in regards to Wall Street donations. He recruited former NY Fed chief Timothy Geithner to be Treasury head while he also installed megabank guru Larry Summers as one of his chief economic advisors. Are these people insane?

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2011/10/19/who-is-occupying-wall-street-a-pollster-surveys-protester/

The pollster has a curious reading of his data when describing Occupy Wall Street’s previous support for President Barack Obama. “An overwhelming majority of demonstrators supported Barack Obama in 2008,” Schoen writes.

But according to the survey data, just 56% of protesters voted in 2008, and of those 74% voted for Obama. Crunching the numbers, it would appear that only 42% of the Zuccotti Park crowd has ever cast a presidential ballot for Obama.

The president looks likely to improve his standing with the protesters in 2012. The survey found 48% would vote for his re-election, even though a slim 51% majority of the protesters disapprove of his job performance.

Finally, the poll sheds some light on the protesters’ underlying policy agenda. The polling falls short of consensus, but some clear themes emerge.

When asked whether the U.S. should increase taxes on the wealthiest Americans, more than three-fourths of the protesters said yes. More taxes on everyone? A smaller majority, 58%, said no.

And then there’s this interesting open-ended question from the poll: What would you like to see the Occupy Wall Street movement achieve? Here are the responses (emphasis added):

35% Influence the Democratic Party the way the Tea Party has influenced the GOP
4% Radical redistribution of wealth
5% Overhaul of tax system: replace income tax with flat tax
7% Direct Democracy
9% Engage & mobilize Progressives
9% Promote a national conversation
11% Break the two-party duopoly
4% Dissolution of our representative democracy/capitalist system
4% Single payer health care
4% Pull out of Afghanistan immediately
8% Not sure

The two answers in bold seem sufficiently similar as to constitute a single answer — energizing populism on the left — with 44% support.

So the survey tells us that the Zuccotti Park protesters are underemployed at twice the national rate, lukewarm to warm on Obama and broadly in favor of taxing the wealthy and encouraging a Tea Party-style populism on the left.

UWDude
10-19-2011, 09:17 PM
fellow Ron Paulies, you missed a great chance for black this out. The cops shine lights onto us all night in Seattle. Such a shame, I thought, that the Ron paulies never got down there with me, we could have bought party packs of cheap sunglasses and turned some heads.

And if you guys would come down, that 51% disapproval rating of Obama would be higher.

Even without you naysayers, i still hear Ron Paul and the Fed mentioned at least once an hour.

AuH20
10-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Ron Pualies missed a great chance for black this out. The cops shine lights onto us all day in Seattle. Such a shame, I thought, that the Ron paulies never got down there with me, we could have bought party packs of cheap sunglasses and turned some head.

And if you guys would come down, that 51% disapproval rating of Obama would be higher.

The problem is that cities like New York, Chicago and Boston have more Obama drones than say Seattle and Houston.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
10-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Well atleast more than half of them aren't completely clueless.

specsaregood
10-19-2011, 09:48 PM
More than half of a group that many are trying to paint as a leftist dnc front. kinda shits all over that meme.

pcosmar
10-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I had heard calls for a third party candidate, because most were disgusted with both parties.
I'll see if I can find it again.

Here is one,
http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2011/09/third-party-talk-at-occupy-wall-street-protest/

except they claim again that it was started by Adbusters, which is incorect.
Adbusters joined in, and created the web site (occupywallstreet) But they did not start it.
http://www.politicususa.com/en/occupy-wall-street-hooverville

In electoral terms, their presence could manifest itself in the form of voting for one political party over another, voting for candidates across party lines that represent their interests, or even a third party movement.

cindy25
10-19-2011, 10:05 PM
if Ron Paul doesn't win the nomination 40% of the people here will vote for Obama

UWDude
10-19-2011, 10:10 PM
if Ron Paul doesn't win the nomination 40% of the people here will vote for Obama

bull fucking shit

UWDude
10-19-2011, 10:36 PM
We also had a man who was obviously a libertarian give us about 8 dozen cookies this morning. He had an interesting personal story attached to the cookie tray top about why he was supporting us, and why he felt his own government was undercutting his attempt to be a successful businessman. There is still time, and you will find that the upper intellectual 20% of the people there are both very open minded, and the forming leaders. I would strongly suggest getting involved now, and getting your voices heard and respected.

Posting cliche anne coulter talking points and attacking a movement with no clear goals on the internet will get you nothing.

Many of my conversations went something like this, "demand, who the fuck cares about demands!" Because we know how useless our government has become anyways.

Again, I strongly suggest you spend 3 hours going to your nearest occupy, and stop letting the media tell you they are your ideological enemies. You will find all sorts of people, but i think this is more of a "im as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore" protest than anything.

Also, i know everyone here loves to talk radical politics, so go out there, you will find many like minded people, some may not even agree with you politically, but you can still find they agree with you about the spirit of America, and by that, I mean the sickness that has consumed most Americans.

HOLLYWOOD
10-19-2011, 10:39 PM
48% of the Protestors on Wall Stret would re-elect the Puppet of Wall Street..

A nation of Propaganda and Morons...

Razmear
10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
bull fucking shit

I'll vote for 4 more years of gridlock before I vote for a neo-con with a rubber stamp congress.
Ron Paul is the only republican I'd support for President (that has a chance this cycle)

eb

moderate libertarian
10-19-2011, 10:43 PM
So 52% people won't? That is pretty cool, there seem to be some thinking people there.

That will also depend on who the GOP crowd picks instead of RP. If GOP nominated Cain, probably.

Kodaddy
10-19-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm voting Ron Paul even if I have to write him in...Paul or nothing!

UWDude
10-19-2011, 11:04 PM
I'll vote for 4 more years of gridlock before I vote for a neo-con with a rubber stamp congress.
Ron Paul is the only republican I'd support for President (that has a chance this cycle)

eb

Obama is a neo-con. What gridlock? Statist bills get passed through every week without as much as a small debate.

Echoes
10-19-2011, 11:05 PM
And the other 52% thinks he's not left-wing enough and want a 2nd soviet union.

Bosco Warden
10-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Cain is working as a distraction, I can see a big difference from 08, to 12, to me it seems the 08 movement was much bigger, and this year they brought in Cain as the distraction and its working.

I am going to wherever Dr. Paul takes it but I have this feeling the this time Cain has taken the show. Its to bad too, but it doesn't surprise me, the GOP pretty stupid.

They sank there own ship in 08 with Palin on the McCain ticket, we are at war they ad someone with zero worldly skills, yeah, stupid.

PaulConventionWV
10-20-2011, 12:16 AM
fellow Ron Paulies, you missed a great chance for black this out. The cops shine lights onto us all night in Seattle. Such a shame, I thought, that the Ron paulies never got down there with me, we could have bought party packs of cheap sunglasses and turned some heads.

Even without you naysayers, i still hear Ron Paul and the Fed mentioned at least once an hour.

You are in such denial, it's almost sad. Even many of those who disapprove of Obama disapprove because he's not extreme enough or some other reason. It doesn't mean they're any shade of libertarian or freedom-oriented. It's what I've been saying all along. Most of those people have no semblance to our movement. It's a no-brainer. This is NOT our protest. Don't try to join it. Don't try to co-opt it. If you want to talk, go right a fuckin head. But that is not our fight, and those are not our people out there. Some of the late-comers are, but that's not what the protest is about or was about in the first place. It's almost silly how much people are willing to blind themselves to the obvious contradictions between us in order to take part in a nationwide protest.

Get your own!

Czolgosz
10-20-2011, 12:19 AM

My sentiments.

PaulConventionWV
10-20-2011, 12:21 AM
So 52% people won't? That is pretty cool, there seem to be some thinking people there.

That will also depend on who the GOP crowd picks instead of RP. If GOP nominated Cain, probably.

Why do people think not supporting Obama is a sign of intelligence? Please, are we falling into that mental trap?

No, they're not a majority, per se, but they're definitely a plurality, which is plenty bad enough for us to distance ourselves.

anaconda
10-20-2011, 12:41 AM

Not if Ron runs third party.

speciallyblend
10-20-2011, 12:41 AM

eb

bottom line for the gop, if the gop does not nominate Ron Paul 2012. The gop will elect obama/status quo 2012. I will not vote for obama or obama republicans. That leaves me with Ron Paul or 3rd Party! the gop can only blame themselves for alienating ron paul and the message and running status quo candidates with no credibility.

anaconda
10-20-2011, 12:45 AM
to me it seems the 08 movement was much bigger

14% vs. 2%? Double the money earned? HR 1207? 80% name recognition? How exactly was the 08 movement much bigger?

revrsethecurse04
10-20-2011, 12:52 AM

90% of statistics can be made to say anything, 50% of the time.

UWDude
10-21-2011, 07:11 PM
You are in such denial, it's almost sad. Even many of those who disapprove of Obama disapprove because he's not extreme enough or some other reason. It doesn't mean they're any shade of libertarian or freedom-oriented. It's what I've been saying all along. Most of those people have no semblance to our movement. It's a no-brainer. This is NOT our protest. Don't try to join it. Don't try to co-opt it. If you want to talk, go right a fuckin head. But that is not our fight, and those are not our people out there. Some of the late-comers are, but that's not what the protest is about or was about in the first place. It's almost silly how much people are willing to blind themselves to the obvious contradictions between us in order to take part in a nationwide protest.

Get your own!

You don't know shit, little boy. There are a large part of them that are just plain apolitical, they have all sorts of views and philosophies. there are many who are insane leftist, but there are also many who just want to talk to other people. The general assemblies are often full of passionate debate, btu at least it is honest debate and not media driven talking points.

There are not a lot of Christians, that is for sure. It is quite atheistic or other.

all you know about is the 48% liberal types who do things like issue declarations and demands. You don't know about the 52% anarchist types that think it's stupid to list demands before even knowing how you are going to win yet.

Fucking go to one, or STFU.

SpicyTurkey
10-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Nigga you crazy.

matt0611
10-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Why do people think not supporting Obama is a sign of intelligence? Please, are we falling into that mental trap?

No, they're not a majority, per se, but they're definitely a plurality, which is plenty bad enough for us to distance ourselves.

Its doesn't necessarily show intelligence, but at least it doesn't preclude it :D

PaulConventionWV
10-24-2011, 07:37 AM
You don't know shit, little boy. There are a large part of them that are just plain apolitical, they have all sorts of views and philosophies. there are many who are insane leftist, but there are also many who just want to talk to other people. The general assemblies are often full of passionate debate, btu at least it is honest debate and not media driven talking points.

There are not a lot of Christians, that is for sure. It is quite atheistic or other.

all you know about is the 48% liberal types who do things like issue declarations and demands. You don't know about the 52% anarchist types that think it's stupid to list demands before even knowing how you are going to win yet.

Fucking go to one, or STFU.

Question, if 48% are liberals, does that automatically make the other 52% "anarchist types" that think all the things you just said?

Such ignorance.

klamath
10-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Cain is working as a distraction, I can see a big difference from 08, to 12, to me it seems the 08 movement was much bigger, and this year they brought in Cain as the distraction and its working.

I am going to wherever Dr. Paul takes it but I have this feeling the this time Cain has taken the show. Its to bad too, but it doesn't surprise me, the GOP pretty stupid.

They sank there own ship in 08 with Palin on the McCain ticket, we are at war they ad someone with zero worldly skills, yeah, stupid.
McCain sank himself when he suspended his campaign to go back and support TARP then when it backfired they tried to blame Palin. I actually would have voted for mcCain if he would have suspended his campaign and went back to Washington to FIGHT TARP.

markman2008
10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
SAY IT ISN'T SO! No more Obama... please... he's more of a puppet than any president before him!

I mean seriously, it's time for change and to get America moving forward... check out what Michael Moore has to say here http://occupyamericamovement.com/video/michael-moore-s-capitalism-a-love-story-goldman-sachs-obama-s-1

dannno
10-26-2011, 05:08 PM
The face-to-face interviews with 198 people

Wow, that sounds like a really representative sample of a global movement :rolleyes:

kylejack
10-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Obama is a neo-con. What gridlock? Statist bills get passed through every week without as much as a small debate.
Obamacare had to make a whole lot of compromises and is very minor compared to what Obama wanted and was trying to push through. Obama also wants to raise taxes and has been blocked from doing so.

PaulConventionWV
11-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Not if Ron runs third party.

He won't. I think you know this as well as I do.

PaulConventionWV
11-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Wow, that sounds like a really representative sample of a global movement :rolleyes:

I think they were talking about just the protesters on Wall Street, which is where this originally started.

pcosmar
11-05-2011, 02:32 PM
I think they were talking about just the protesters on Wall Street, which is where this originally started.

Where this originally started? I post there.
Where did this originally start and when? (hint,,long before Oct.17)

another hint
I do not post at occupywallstreet.org (it didn't start there)

Anti Federalist
11-05-2011, 02:41 PM

I'm voting for Ron Paul in 2012 regardless of what happens, where he is running or if he is running at all.

Many more are doing the same.

If that means that O-bomb-ya wins, too bad, I don't care.

They are are all equally bad, even if for slightly different reasons.

PaulConventionWV
11-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Where this originally started? I post there.
Where did this originally start and when? (hint,,long before Oct.17)

another hint
I do not post at occupywallstreet.org (it didn't start there)

Talking about the actual occupation. Step off, dude.

pcosmar
11-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Talking about the actual occupation. Step off, dude.

I have been talking about the actual occupation.
There are actually all kinds of people involved. The media likes to focus on the loudest and most outrageous.
No doubt some want to paint all of it with their collectivist brushes.

I have been trying to deflect the bullshit and outright lies. To focus on the original purpose, rather than all the distraction or the random idiots that you get with any crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNkLBSsFnxY

jmdrake
11-07-2011, 02:47 PM
48% of the Protestors on Wall Stret would re-elect the Puppet of Wall Street..

A nation of Propaganda and Morons...

And how many "tea partiers" would have re-elected W if he could have run again? How many would be supporting the re-election of McCain if he had won?