PDA

View Full Version : A question about being married and donating.......

UtahApocalypse
10-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Now that I am married my wife would like to do $50, and I am doing $50. I know that the FEC limit as a couple is double of an individual. My question is this..... we do not yet have a joint bank account, and I only have the debit card. Can she still donate in her name even though the card is in mine since we are married?

Mahkato
10-19-2011, 09:27 AM
http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/citizens.shtml

Joint Contributions

If two or more individuals want to make a contribution using one check drawn on a joint account, all the contributors must sign the check or an attached statement. The check or signed statement must show how much should be attributed to each donor, unless the the contribution is to be equally divided among the contributors.

Contributions from Family Members

A husband and wife each have separate contribution limits, even if only one spouse has an income. For example, a couple may contribute a $5,000 check to a candidate's primary campaign as long as both sign the check (or an attached statement), as explained above.

FSP-Rebel
10-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Hmm, good question. Congrats tho!

Steve-in-NY
10-19-2011, 09:42 AM
If its a joint account, its $5,000. If its individual accounts - its $2,500 each.

Icymudpuppy
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Best to transfer some money to her account for her to use.

UtahApocalypse
10-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Best to transfer some money to her account for her to use.

we only have my account.

sabu140
10-19-2011, 10:13 AM
I gave over $2500 and was contacted about either transferring the portion to a spouse or getting a check sent to me. If you are going over $2500 you can call the number on the campaign website and hit the prompt for donation and talk with the campaign to make sure the money is under your spouse's name.