PDA

View Full Version : Herman Cain Antioch Baptist Church North

wgadget
10-19-2011, 07:20 AM
"-Connecting the dots from the civil rights movement to the election of President Obama"

http://www.antiochnorth.org/connecting_the_dots.htm

Some guy called in to the Neal Boortz show yesterday and said he GUARANTEED that if anyone paid a visit to Herman Cain's church (where he is an associate minister), there is NO CHANCE conservatives would be for him. He was equating the church to Obama's Reverend Wright's church, from what I got out of the conversation. LOL

I posted its website. There may be some tasty audio morsels there.

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-19-2011, 07:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGs8ptTUhU
(begins at the 55 second mark)

I used to go to a baptist church, and am a conservative Christian, and I don't know who those gentlemen are in
Cain's self promotion video, but they aren't what most baptists would call baptists. They're wearing clerical
robes, sunglasses - disrespectful, and saying Cain has God's glory - which is something Christians who have
similar beliefs to me have very strongly objected to for a very long time.

Soli Deo gloria ("glory to God alone")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_solas#Soli_Deo_gloria_.28.22glory_to_God_alon e.22.29

Edit: By the way, the ministers who Cain put in his video are DEFINATELY not what his congregation looks like. So who did he use? It is very weird to use ministers who look like that, to do something like that, and outside your church.

wgadget
10-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Soooo....Herman Cain solidifies his penchant for DECEPTION.

Sola_Fide
10-19-2011, 07:37 AM
The first thing that strikes me about the website is that there is not ONE link on the entire site talking about what they believe as a church.

Here is my church's website:
http://rbclouisville.com/

You will notice that the very first sentence is a description of what we believe and the very first link is to the London Baptist Confession of 1689, which is what we hold to.

That is pretty important for Christians. Doctrine is vitally important. The only somewhat doctrinal information on Cain's website that I see is an immediate reference to slavery and the black struggle in Atlanta. So the guy who was saying this is a Rev. Wright type "church" might be right on.

specsaregood
10-19-2011, 07:46 AM
http://www.antiochnorth.org/ourpastor.htm

In his classic book, “The Prophets,” scholar Joshua Abraham Heschel describes the prophet as one who identifies with the pathos of God, who is stirred by the heartbeat of God, and who is called to be the uncompromised mouthpiece of God.

That’s an apt description of the Rev. Dr. Cameron Madison Alexander. A gospel preacher for 55 years, and pastor of the Antioch Baptist Church North for the last 40 years, Alexander has been a modern-day Isaiah preaching good news to the poor, binding up the broken hearted and proclaiming liberty to the captives. Akin to the biblical prophet Amos, who critiqued the government of his day, Alexander’s preaching embodies the prophet’s burning plea: “let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.”

“It’s not enough to talk about what black folks ought to do,” Alexander once said. “We have to also look at what government is not doing to ensure fairness and equal opportunity. God is on the side of the least of these. Jesus said ‘the first shall become the last and the last shall become the first.’”

hrm.

wgadget
10-19-2011, 07:51 AM
The first thing that strikes me about the website is that there is not ONE link on the entire site talking about what they believe as a church.

Here is my church's website:
http://rbclouisville.com/

You will notice that the very first sentence is a description of what we believe and the very first link is to the London Baptist Confession of 1689, which is what we hold to.

That is pretty important for Christians. Doctrine is vitally important. The only somewhat doctrinal information on Cain's website that I see is an immediate reference to slavery and the black struggle in Atlanta. So the guy who was saying this is a Rev. Wright type "church" might be right on.

No, no...It's right there at the top:

"-Connecting the dots from the civil rights movement to the election of President Obama"

P.S. "Connecting the dots" was one of Herman Cain's many platitudes as a talk show host on WSB. Interesting.

Sola_Fide
10-19-2011, 07:52 AM
No, no...It's right there at the top:

Oh...right, right. I must have missed that.

wgadget
10-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Oh...right, right. I must have missed that.

And in a creepy kind of way, if Cain is the nominee...we'll have a RE-election of Obama.

Additionally, I'm thinking that Cain being a minister here is even WORSE than Obama simply attending for 20 years.

Sola_Fide
10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
And in a creepy kind of way, if Cain is the nominee...we'll have a RE-election of Obama.

Additionally, I'm thinking that Cain being a minister here is even WORSE than Obama simply attending for 20 years.

Ah...see, now you're connecting the dots.

Sola_Fide
10-19-2011, 07:58 AM
“It’s not enough to talk about what black folks ought to do,” Alexander once said. “We have to also look at what government is not doing to ensure fairness and equal opportunity. God is on the side of the least of these. Jesus said ‘the first shall become the last and the last shall become the first.’”

Yep. That's marxism.

wgadget
10-19-2011, 08:00 AM
I twittered the church's website along with their "mission statement" to all the Cainiacs.

Feeling feisty toady.

:D

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-19-2011, 08:00 AM
The baptist church looks pretty normal to me as far as dress goes. I suspect it may be a normal church.

But that youtube is definitely not the same church. That's the background you want to look at, who those men are. I compared it to a video on youtube of the actual Antioch baptist church.

wgadget
10-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Note: The man who called in to the Boortz show sounded African-American. If that means anything. And he spoke with authority.

Matthew5
10-19-2011, 08:04 AM
I used to go to a baptist church, and am a conservative Christian, and I don't know who those gentlemen are in
Cain's self promotion video, but they aren't what most baptists would call baptists. They're wearing clerical
robes, sunglasses - disrespectful, and saying Cain has God's glory - which is something Christians who have
similar beliefs to me have very strongly objected to for a very long time.

Actually, the clerical robes are quite common for the African American southern Baptists (the National Baptist Convention). Especially in large churches where a formal hierarchy exists.

Not sure that wearing sunglasses is disrespectful...it was bright outside. :)

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Actually, the clerical robes are quite common for the African American southern Baptists (the National Baptist Convention). Especially in large churches where a formal hierarchy exists.

Not sure that wearing sunglasses is disrespectful...it was bright outside. :)

I'm only mentioning the background because the speech was blasphemous. And most of the protestant reformation fought this sort of thing.

Think Perry holding a Prayer Rally to be seen by men was bad? This is obviously a lot worse.

People talk about being "annointed" in a jesting way as being presumptious and a bad thing, but here they're declaring Cain now has God's glory, whether God wants Cain to have it or not. Hint: Lying isn't to God's glory - and God also doesn't share his glory. Glory to God alone, and worship Him alone.

FYI Besides, I looked at the pictures of his church. That isn't his pastor doing it, and they dress like normal black baptist churches I've seen - which is pretty much baptists in general - with a tendancy to keep their sunday best on instead of being casual. With the white collars and chains, they look like methodists or nation of islam.

asurfaholic
10-19-2011, 08:15 AM
So let me get this straight... herman cain was the minister of a church whos mission statement is "connecting the dots between civil rights and reelecting obama?"

This is getting freeky

wgadget
10-19-2011, 08:18 AM
So let me get this straight... herman cain was the minister of a church whos mission statement is "connecting the dots between civil rights and reelecting obama?"

This is getting freeky

Yuh-HUH.

'Cept it's not WAS, it's IS.

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-19-2011, 08:20 AM
"here they're declaring Cain now has God's glory, whether God wants Cain to have it or not. Hint: Lying isn't to God's glory - and God also doesn't share his glory. Glory to God alone, and worship Him alone."

Amen.

You know, I was just thinking about it here, and not only is it presumptious, but it has to turn a lot of people off from seeking God, to see men put themselves in front of Him like that, like a lot of little antichrists. No wonder our reformation fathers uniformly fought it!

Sola_Fide
10-19-2011, 08:26 AM
"here they're declaring Cain now has God's glory, whether God wants Cain to have it or not. Hint: Lying isn't to God's glory - and God also doesn't share his glory. Glory to God alone, and worship Him alone."

Amen.

You know, I was just thinking about it here, and not only is it presumptious, but it has to turn a lot of people off from seeking God, to see men put themselves in front of Him like that, like a lot of little antichrists. No wonder our reformation fathers uniformly fought it!

Yeah, I don't think sticking to God's Word alone is something high on their priority list.

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-19-2011, 08:28 AM
His book mentions his executive assistent going to a methodist church.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8dGNDGKTRs4C&pg=PA149&lpg=PA149&dq=%2B%22methodists%22+%2B%22herman+cain%22+%2Bpra yer&source=bl&ots=LrINQdh-5f&sig=87UTMkoJ7fL1V5eoXQ9gvMhze28&hl=en&ei=h92eTvXXB83ksQLg6LiJCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Don't have time to research this right now, computer slow - just posting it so you know where to look if you are looking for another church.

Edit.

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-19-2011, 08:51 AM
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/18/the-liberal-church-of-herman-cain/

Cain, a conservative who recently said African-Americans were “brainwashed” into voting Democratic, is an associate minister at an Atlanta megachurch that has been a stronghold of liberal activism and is led by a pastor who cites Malcolm X as one of his influences.

Beasley is a deacon at Antioch and serves as Southern regional director for Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow PUSH Coalition.
--

Still don't think those men are baptists in that video.

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Matthew5
10-19-2011, 09:13 AM
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/18/the-liberal-church-of-herman-cain/

Cain, a conservative who recently said African-Americans were “brainwashed” into voting Democratic, is an associate minister at an Atlanta megachurch that has been a stronghold of liberal activism and is led by a pastor who cites Malcolm X as one of his influences.

Beasley is a deacon at Antioch and serves as Southern regional director for Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow PUSH Coalition.
--

Still don't think those men are baptists in that video.

This is the absolute best setup to catch neocons in a hypocritical lie!! They beat the Obama/Rev. Wright issue to death in 2008, let's see what happens when it's one of their own! :D:D

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-19-2011, 09:30 AM
This is the absolute best setup to catch neocons in a hypocritical lie!! They beat the Obama/Rev. Wright issue to death in 2008, let's see what happens when it's one of their own! :D:D

Being liberal and baptist isn't a real issue though. Rev. Wright was uniquely racist, had nation of islam people sharing his pulpits, caught in videos saying racist things, supported Gaddafi, etc.

There doesn't appear to be anything like that here. Probably a normal black church whose doctrines I would disagree with if I knew, but then I disagree with most churches for having some man made doctrines. The youtube video is horrible - the right wing claim about Obama "thinking he was the annointed one" and here Cain is actually announcing it, and the Malcom X acknowledgement on a Christian church's webpage is horrible,

But haven't found nearly anything like Rev. Wright yet. Don't think we should get into someone's religion too much; unless it's things like Wright, or if they put their "annointing" into their political introduction ad - which Cain did.

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-19-2011, 09:35 AM
CNN probably didn't really research that that much. From the church's page:
http://www.antiochnorth.org/ourpastor.htm

Influenced by civil rights luminaries like Malcolm X, Mary McCloud Bethune, Dr. Benjamin E. Mays and Rosa Parks, Alexander says he’s always been involved in civil rights in one way or the other. Delivering the unredeemed is what the church is supposed to be doing.

Don't think you should put support for someone who was against Christianity on your church's webpage. Could indicate worse things not on the webpage.

BlackTerrel
10-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Reaching. Attacking a man's Church is not the way to go. With the caveat of something egregious - but this isn't that.

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Reaching. Attacking a man's Church is not the way to go. With the caveat of something egregious - but this isn't that.

Agreed, unless something bad is found. I'm reposting that introductory video from Cain - but it's a matter of religion with me, not politics.

libertybrewcity
10-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Ooooohhhh churches...

wgadget
10-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Um...I may be mistaken, but it appears the page I posted in the OP has been scrubbed from Antioch Baptist Church North's website.

The only place it shows up on a Google search is HERE.