PDA

View Full Version : Can someone more knowledgeable than I explain Paul's plan for education?

JTforRP
10-18-2011, 08:44 PM
As a public school teacher, I'm wondering what a Ron Paul presidency would look like for my career.

The way I understand it, things would essentially remain the same without so much federal control, correct? Everything is run by the states?

If someone can elaborate on what education would look like under Ron Paul, please let me know.

Feeding the Abscess
10-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Yes, anything the Department of Education dictates to your state would be removed, and your state would have final authority over school choices.

TheViper
10-18-2011, 08:46 PM
As a public school teacher, I'm wondering what a Ron Paul presidency would look like for my career.

The way I understand it, things would essentially remain the same without so much federal control, correct? Everything is run by the states?

If someone can elaborate on what education would look like under Ron Paul, please let me know.

That's the brilliance of most of Paul's plans. They are simple and by your post it seems you already grasp the overall concept of his education plan.

JTforRP
10-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys. I've just had a lot of people say, "Why are you a Ron Paul supporter? You're a government worker and he's anti-government!"

Maybe, as usual, it's just that lots of people don't have a fucking clue. :)

ItsTime
10-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Real simple and something that most TEACHERS can agree on. Give more control to, in this order, the parents, teachers, towns, counties and states over the classroom and take the federal government out of the equation.

Legend1104
10-18-2011, 08:50 PM

I'm a school teacher too, and I can tell you that a lot of our headaches would disappear with a President Paul.

Matthew5
10-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Power would return to where it belongs, the states. Then these silly federal mandates would end! Let the state decide what's best for their children. It's a novel concept that worked just fine for over 150 years!

RKoho
10-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey I'm becoming a firefighter and I'm not worried a bit about losing my job. Paul knows states rights. I admit this isn't my expertise but I think education needs a department of education as much as firefighting needs a department of firefighting.

Jingles
I went to public school my entire life before college. I NEVER heard a teacher say anything favorable about No Child Left Behind or the Department of Education. A lot these people were liberals too.

hazek
From: http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/homeschooling/

HOMESCHOOLING CHAMPION
Ron Paul believes no nation can remain free when the state has greater influence over the knowledge and values transmitted to children than the family does.

And the truth is, no big government spending program can or will solve our nation’s education problems.

One-size-fits-all central planning simply does not work.

As a congressman, Ron Paul has been a consistent supporter of homeschooling and educational freedom.

Being a homeschooling parent takes a unique dedication to family and education.

TAX CREDITS FOR HOMESCHOOLING
In many cases, homeschooling families must forgo the second income of one parent, as well as incur the costs of paying for textbooks, computers, and other school supplies.

And with combined taxes taking almost 50 percent of the average family’s income, there is little left over for low- and middle-class parents to even consider other educational opportunities.

That’s why, during his time in Congress, Ron Paul has introduced legislation to:

* Help parents better educate their children by providing parents with a $5,000 per child tax credit for tutors, books, computers, and other K-12 related educational needs.

* Ensure that the federal government treats high school diplomas earned through homeschooling the same as other high school diplomas.

PUT PARENTS BACK IN CHARGE
Congressman Paul wants parents to have the freedom to choose the best educational options for their children, and his commitment to ensuring homeschooling remains a practical alternative for American families is unmatched by any other Presidential candidate.

As President, he will veto any legislation that encroaches on homeschooling parents’ rights.

Returning control of education to parents and teachers on the local level is the centerpiece of Ron Paul’s education agenda.

paulpwns
10-18-2011, 08:57 PM
I work for the government, and I support Ron Paul for President.

JTforRP
10-18-2011, 08:58 PM
I appreciate the great thoughts and information, everyone. Just more reason to send the first political donation of my life tomorrow!

xRedfoxx
10-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Dr. Paul is a big supporter of local control on schools and also a big supporter of home-schooling. He main point is this is not a federal government issue.

Justinjj1
10-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys. I've just had a lot of people say, "Why are you a Ron Paul supporter? You're a government worker and he's anti-government!"

I was a public high school teacher for seven years. I always felt like a bit of a hypocrite for supporting Ron Paul, but thank god I was laid off last year. I feel liberated now that I'm not a professional propagandist anymore.

I don't really care if it's the federal government or the state government that is in charge of education, both do a horrible fucking job of educating people.

kojirodensetsu
10-18-2011, 09:06 PM

The difference here is that teachers are employed by the state, not the federal government. So in essence, nothing would happen to you other than having more control over how you teach.

Brian4Liberty
10-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Local control and local funding means that the Federal government isn't taking a cut of your pay!

eleganz
10-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey I'm becoming a firefighter and I'm not worried a bit about losing my job. Paul knows states rights. I admit this isn't my expertise but I think education needs a department of education as much as firefighting needs a department of firefighting.

Firefighting is a state deal so if you get fired because of low funds, it is your states' inability to properly balance the budget and it wouldn't be because Ron Paul said so.