PDA

View Full Version : Appraising Ron Paul's Hannity Interview: Good and Bad

10-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Ron Paul was just on Sean Hannity's show. His interview had both good and bad points. I think it is important for us, the grassroots, as well as the campaign, to recognize the good and the bad of Paul's performance on such an interview. Since it just ended, and it is fresh in my mind, I will make a short list of the "good" and the "bad" of the interview, in terms of Ron's performance.

The Good

Ron Paul made it clear that he was serious about cutting spending, that other candidates are only tinkering around the edges
His questioning of the spending during both Republican and Democrat administrations was salient and on point
He sounded believable and authoritative when bringing up the 9/11 Commission Report

The Bad

He did not respond adequately to Hannity's question about Ron calling talk show hosts statist
He brought up divisive aspects of his foreign policy when he didn't need to
He sounded a little off, stuttering and not running through his points like he so often is able to

All in all, it wasn't a bad interview, but certainly not his best. I don't know if anything he said really would win over any new voters. Ron Paul unnecessarily went off into foreign policy issues where he didn't need to. He needs to get to where he can talk about foreign policy in a way that is not so disconcerting to conservatives in the "mainstream." Like Rand, I believe Ron Paul can do this without upsetting too many folks, but allowing them to challenge their positions.

By the way, didn't you remember that tonight is http://www.blackthisout.com ?

low preference guy
10-18-2011, 03:00 PM
The Bad

He did not respond adequately to Hannity's question about Ron calling talk show hosts statist

I think he responded pretty well. He shouldn't sound like he was apologizing nor scream "YEAH, YOU'RE A STATIST!". Ron Paul middle ground response was correct.

KEEF
10-18-2011, 03:10 PM
[ He sounded believable and authoritative when bringing up the 9/11 Commission Report
[/LIST]

The Bad

All in all, it wasn't a bad interview, but certainly not his best. I don't know if anything he said really would win over any new voters. Ron Paul unnecessarily went off into foreign policy issues where he didn't need to. He needs to get to where he can talk about foreign policy in a way that is not so disconcerting to conservatives in the "mainstream." Like Rand, I believe Ron Paul can do this without upsetting too many folks, but allowing them to challenge their positions.

By the way, didn't you remember that tonight is http://www.blackthisout.com ?

I thought he answered that well with how low preference guy suggested. I was hoping for him to call out Sean, but hindsight says
that I think he responded well to the question.

I think how he brought up the foreign policy well; Sean Hannity brought it up originally when he was
pulling snipits out of the 9/11 Report and Dr. Paul tied his position right back to the 9/11 Commision Report. This kinda trapped
Hannity into not being able to give a "you isolationist" type rebutale since he just got done using the report himself to justify his
foreign policy views to RP. Infact, did you catch Dr. Paul bringing up that little comment how our foreign aide to Pakastan hurts
Isreal?

And like I said in a previous post, Sean Hannity ended with saying thank you for your time Dr. Paul.

low preference guy
10-18-2011, 03:24 PM
And like I said in a previous post, Sean Hannity ended with saying thank you for your time Dr. Paul.

cool. i never notice these things.

bluesc
10-18-2011, 03:25 PM
cool. i never notice these things.

I always do. I see it as a sign of respect.

pauliticalfan
10-18-2011, 03:25 PM
I thought Ron did pretty good.

10-18-2011, 03:26 PM
[LIST]

I thought he answered that well with how low preference guy suggested. I was hoping for him to call out Sean, but hindsight says
that I think he responded well to the question.

He didn't bomb it, that's for sure. But he could have said, or I was hoping for him to say, "Sean, the fact is that most talk show hosts have been overly supportive of big government just because it was Republicans in power. I didn't really mean you, I meant supposedly conservative talk show hosts in general."

low preference guy
10-18-2011, 03:31 PM
I always do. I see it as a sign of respect.

i see. you must be pretty good at reading women!