PDA

View Full Version : HERMAN CAIN using campaign contributions to enrich himself?

wgadget
10-18-2011, 07:07 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/10/18/bloomberg_articlesLT8KZ11A1I4H.DTL

Heard it on the radio.

TheViper
10-18-2011, 07:24 AM
He's not enriching himself because his campaign is giving the books away fro free. There is no profit being made from it. This is actually a pretty common thing.

wgadget
10-18-2011, 07:26 AM
He bought the books from his own motivational speaking company.

Oct. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Republican presidential contender Herman Cain used campaign funds to buy his own books from his motivational speaking company, Federal Election Commission records show.

Although his autobiography was published by a division of Simon & Schuster Inc., Cain paid Stockbridge, Georgia-based T.H.E New Voice Inc. $36,511 for books. His campaign spent $4 million through Sept. 30, including more than $64,000 paid to his motivational speaking company for airfare, lodging and supplies, as well as the books.

"They are buying my books and my pamphlets," Cain said in an interview in between appearances in Arizona yesterday. "The campaign is buying them from T.H.E New Voice."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/10/18/bloomberg_articlesLT8KZ11A1I4H.DTL#ixzz1b8ioUTyi

Elwar
10-18-2011, 07:43 AM
There have been rumors that Cain has mainly been running to sell books.

He is booked more for book signings through his publisher than he is set up for campaign stops.

Workguy23
10-18-2011, 07:46 AM
I am not surprised by this...

TheViper
10-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Aren't the books being given away to campaign donors? If so, then it's just a campaign tool and he's not profiting from it.

freejack
10-18-2011, 07:51 AM
He's not enriching himself because his campaign is giving the books away fro free. There is no profit being made from it. This is actually a pretty common thing.

He took money from his supporters to buy his books from his company. There was profit made right there unless he bought the books at cost. Doesn't matter that he gave them away for free.

TexMac
10-18-2011, 07:52 AM

No, that's not true:

But on Sunday, nearly 200 voters from the Carolinas plunked down at least $26.75 — the cost of a book — to get a handshake, a smile and an autograph from surging GOP presidential contender Herman Cain.
And they all seemed happy to do it, with many buying several copies of "This is Herman Cain! My Journey to the White House."

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/10/2447038/herman-cain-signs-books-in-rock.html#ixzz1b8p1kccf

TheViper
10-18-2011, 08:07 AM
No, that's not true:

Story in the first post:

The books are being given away to supporters to help Cain acquaint them with his life story, part of his "unconventional approach" to his candidacy, he said

So most likely some are being sold directly from his publishing house and those his campaign bought are being given away.

Using campaign funds to generate profit is against campaign finance laws and they'd be all over him for this.

Birdlady
10-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Sadly this doesn't surprise me. He's a shady person.

TheViper
10-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Post was duplicated.