PDA

View Full Version : This Debate could be Make or Break for the Campaign

chris41336
10-18-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm sure the campaign, as well as Ron himself, is completely aware how much is at stake tonight.

Coming off of the heels of a (relatively) ignored economic plan and right before a huge moneybomb, this is probably Ron's most important debate ever.

The good news is, Ron showed us last debate that he CAN interject. In fact, I feel like that was his sole motivation for interjecting last time was to test the waters. It wasn't a very widely-watched debate. It was a round table setting. It was the perfect place to see how the media would react to Paul actually speaking out. But he's past that now. He saw that he could get away with it, that nothing bad will come of it.

Now is his chance to really hit it out of the park. I (personally) want to see some good interjections, commenting on other people's economic plans while touting his own, putting them to shame on foreign policy. I hope we see some really stand out moments tonight. This could be a defining moment for our movement, and I will be watching nervously, since I almost feel like its me up there every time I see poor Ron struggling with those a-holes.

KramerDSP
10-18-2011, 06:54 AM
The problem is Anderson Cooper is really good at shutting Ron up during an "interjection". And Ron is too polite to say "No, Anderson, I'm talking N-O-W".

angelatc
10-18-2011, 06:56 AM
The problem is Anderson Cooper is really good at shutting Ron up during an "interjection". And Ron is too polite to say "No, Anderson, I'm talking N-O-W".

ANd of course that's assuming they ask him a question in the first place.

freejack
10-18-2011, 06:57 AM
I'd love to hear Ron tell him: "STFU CIA lackey. You still owe me time from '07".

Romulus
10-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Anderson is a POS.... CNN is going to blackout Ron again. Ron knows this and I predict he will assert himself strongly.

Ron is not going to whine about it, but I'm not sure how he can come across and get his fair time w/o complaining about it.

He needs to be bold, and defend/sell his plan, and attack the absurdity of other gimmicks.

No Free Beer
10-18-2011, 07:20 AM
I disagree. Ron has money, so as long as you have money, you have a chance...unless you say something STUPID, like Rick Perry. I am not too worried about Ron doing that.

wgadget
10-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Ron MUST direct people watching the debate to his website, like Bachmann did last time. They need to see his economic plan, if nothing else.

Meiun
10-18-2011, 07:27 AM
yeah, I don't think this debate is very critical for RP. I think it's more critical for Cain. Tonight is the night he starts to fade :) Maybe when the MSM see that the country just isn't going to support the candidate of their choice this time around, just maybe they'll start to do their job right and report on the only true candidate who can effectively change the course of this nation.

I think Ron Paul is ideally positioned. His policies and his record have been consistent for 30 years and the result of the failed policies of all those presidents who have proceeded him are coming to their natural end. He's the right guy at the right time. This is just a matter of us doing WE need to do out here in the trenches.

Birdlady
10-18-2011, 07:33 AM
I don't think this debate will break the campaign, but it could make the campaign. There is a huge opportunity here.

rutgerscamdenYAL
10-18-2011, 07:34 AM
What if they give Ron a ton of time to try take away our enthusiasm for BTO? Doubt it though..

Elwar
10-18-2011, 07:41 AM
It could go either way. When they focus on foreign policy Ron Paul does not do well with Republican primary voters after the debate because he is straight forward with them.

When they focus on fiscal policy Ron Paul shines.

CNN is a liberal channel. They might hold his foreign policy in a good light and could attack him on his fiscal policy.

My prediction...they claim that Ron Paul wants to get rid of teachers.

Romulus
10-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Cain was hit hard... Ron needs to jump in on that like he did on Perry last time.

This is a great chance. 20% undecided.. its go time.

kojirodensetsu
10-18-2011, 07:42 AM
I think this debate will be similar to last debate where Cain makes a fool of himself more, Romney is on the defensive, and Perry attacks Romney. Hopefully Ron's economic plan will be brought up during the debate. And hopefully he'll mention that he'll be president for 40k/year.

smithtg
10-18-2011, 07:45 AM

I freaking hate Cooper. He is such a loser. Does anyone know the format for tonight or will it be a free for all with the MSM painting Romney's ugly mug all over the screen. Anyone notice the split screen crap they were pulling on the last debate? Expect more of that for Romney even if he isnt being addressed

Ron NEEDS to mention BTO and his plan to balance the budget in 4 years. He should not mention 1T in cuts, but just that it will be balanced by 2016. That alone will direct people to his website and lookup his plan. He wins alot of ears when he uses 'cut spending to 2006 levels' People can relate to that since their income hasnt probably risen since 2006 and 2006 was one of the last years before the bubbles burst bad

LibertasPraesidium
10-18-2011, 07:47 AM
I'd love to hear Ron tell him: "STFU CIA lackey. You still owe me time from '07".

Thanks for this, It was a delight to see this morning. IF we held all the media to that we would get a few weeks worth of time of him on the airwaves. LoL

LibertasPraesidium
10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
What if they give Ron a ton of time to try take away our enthusiasm for BTO? Doubt it though..

If that happens there will be millions of RP converts during the show. It would be amazing :-)

Birdlady
10-18-2011, 07:51 AM
I think a few things Ron could bring up is taking 40k a year as president like the poster above said. I also think he needs to start saying he predicted EVERYTHING that has happened over the past decade (the housing bubble burst, economic collapse, rise in unemployment, endless wars). He didn't miss things like some other candidate on this stage etc. I know Ron is very humble, but darn it let's get the truth out there!

Lastly he needs to say that he gets more donations from active duty military than all of the other candidates on this stage, combined.

If he could lay out all of those facts it will be a good night for the campaign.

jmdrake
10-18-2011, 08:03 AM
ANd of course that's assuming they ask him a question in the first place.

Well they will have to ask him at least one. Each time he is asked a question he should turn his answer to the "Restore America" plan. They want to attack him on Iran? "We can't afford to Restore America if we get involved in another war". Talk about jobs? "The cost of government is weighing the country down. We must Restore America". Talk about the drug war? "It costs too much to fight it and to lock people up for non violent crimes. We must Restore America". And at some point during the debate he should say "And Rush Limbaugh agrees with me on this point". He should also say "Michael Savage sees the wisdom of making sure that foreign policy decisions remain in line with the constitution." It's time to play up the fact that two of the biggest names in conservative talk radio have agreed with Ron. Stroke their egos. I'd even say "It's a shame that Savage is banned in Britain. As president I would bring that issue up with my British counterpart."

Butchie
10-18-2011, 08:18 AM
He wins alot of ears when he uses 'cut spending to 2006 levels' People can relate to that since their income hasnt probably risen since 2006 and 2006 was one of the last years before the bubbles burst bad

I like that and he should direct it at the audince that way like: "If you're pay hasn't gone up in the last 5yrs why should our spending?", ofcourse he could come up with a better way of saying it but something along those lines.

Well they will have to ask him at least one. Each time he is asked a question he should turn his answer to the "Restore America" plan. They want to attack him on Iran? "We can't afford to Restore America if we get involved in another war". Talk about jobs? "The cost of government is weighing the country down. We must Restore America". Talk about the drug war? "It costs too much to fight it and to lock people up for non violent crimes. We must Restore America". And at some point during the debate he should say "And Rush Limbaugh agrees with me on this point". He should also say "Michael Savage sees the wisdom of making sure that foreign policy decisions remain in line with the constitution." It's time to play up the fact that two of the biggest names in conservative talk radio have agreed with Ron. Stroke their egos. I'd even say "It's a shame that Savage is banned in Britain. As president I would bring that issue up with my British counterpart."

I disagree, constantly saying that will annoy people, also mentioning Rush might be a good idea (and funny) but as for the Savage idea he should NOT bring up anything that will lead into the assassinating the cleric discussion, this will be a conservative audience, that is the last thing you want to get into a discussion about.

Steve-in-NY
10-18-2011, 08:31 AM
If Cain falls, they will prop up Newt. I hope Im wrong, but thats what Im expecting.
Luckily they are running out of candidates that will rise and fade to shove in peoples face.

smithtg
10-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Im glad Frothy is still around and I hope he stays around because he will rip Cain a new one tonight and give Perry some medicine too. Id rather see him attack Cain and Romney and maybe he will. As much as we hated his comments on Iran, he is helping us

Jake Ralston
10-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Anderson Cooper: "And welcome back from our break ladies and gentlemen, also be advised we have just recieved notification of an apparent "money bomb" taking place as we speak for Dr. Ron Paul, and so far has raised a whopping 5 million dollars with over 9 hours to go! Ladies and gentlemen this is unheard of!"

"On to Mr. Cain, Mr. Cain how do you respond to Dr. Paul raising more money in less than 24 hours than you have this entire campaign? Also be advised his donations are coming solely from grassroots supporters. Mr. Cain you have 30 seconds to respond..."

JamesButabi
10-18-2011, 09:21 AM
At this point I think HOW Ron projects his statements are just as important as WHAT he is saying. He's dropped many of the talking points people are requesting already that get us excited, but it hasn't done much (military donations, Cain/Fed)

I want to hear a bold, confident Ron that speaks slowly and shows authority. I also want him to challenge Obama and project frontrunner machismo.

"I released an economic plan yesterday that cuts $1 trillion in the first year and balances within 3. I'm getting blacked out in the media but heres the bottom line. I'm serious about winning this election and I'm dead serious about beating Obama in the general election. I'm going to get into that office and im going to fire every czar in there. I'm not just going to talk about transparency, im going to expose any corruption I find and eliminate it. Im going to take a salary of the average American and challenge every person in Congress to follow my lead. I'm going to stop the aggressive wars and instead use that money to honor the promises we made to our seniors and veterans and start paying down the debt. The reason you should support me is the same reason the banks and the lobbyists wont."

(cue Republican jaw dropping)

Nate-ForLiberty
10-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Anyone who expects anything different from the MSM tonight than from what we've already seen from them needs to take a moment and reflect.

Ron needs to politely yet persistently interject when they cut him off. Lead with facts and virtue, that is how he can rise above it.

johndeal
10-18-2011, 09:39 AM
My line for Ron to use during the debate:

"Discussion of the tax code puts the cart before the horse. We have to know and agree to what we are buying before we talk about the price we are willing to pay. My budget plan is the only one released by any candidate and I invite Mr Cain, all of the other candidates and everyone in the audience to review the plan at my website ronpaul2012.com. If we want to save our country we need a plan to live within our means and I have proposed that plan."

Cinderella
10-18-2011, 10:15 AM
im worried they will villify him as wanting to fire all the teachers by eliminating the dept of education....otherwise i hope he asserts himself whether he is asked a question or not.

Wesker1982
10-18-2011, 10:35 AM
im worried they will villify him as wanting to fire all the teachers by eliminating the dept of education....otherwise i hope he asserts himself whether he is asked a question or not.

This. He needs to, in very simple terms, explain that public sector jobs eliminated will lead to more resources and more (much more) employment in the private sector (which is more productive). I really hope they are preparing for this, it should be pretty obvious that this objection will come up.

Edit: Here is Tom Woods on this http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/henry-blodget-ron-pauls-plan-will-destroy-the-economy/

Original_Intent
10-18-2011, 10:54 AM
There are several points that if we can get this message thru to the electorate I really think we will win, with or without the MSM.

1. Although polling third nationally, Ron Paul is dead last and by a significant margin in the amount of time given to share his message. Ron Paul is being "blacked out" because the leadership of both parties and their media cronies are threatened by anything that seriously threatens the status quo. As such, any and all cnadidates will be covered favorably in comparison to Paul.
2. Only Ron Paul has a comprehensive plan that addresses multiple issues facing our nation. The other candidates only propose plans that address one issue, and often their proposals on one issue contradict their positions on other issues. For instance, you cannot be for deficit reduction and also be for U.S. militarism around the world. The two are incompatible.
3. Ron Paul gets more contributions from the military than all other candidates combined - including Obama. Military personell agree with Ron's assesment that U.S. interests are not being served in the numerous conflicts we are engaged in.
4. 9-9-9 is a revenue plan only. Ron Paul's proposal addresses both the revenue AND spending sides of our current financial troubles, as well as addressing the source of those problems - The Federal Reserve.
5. Ron Paul's plan takes care of seniors who are dependent on Social Security while also providing an opt-out provision for the young.
6. Ron Paul's plan attacks corporate welfare and bailouts.
7. Ron Paul's plan attacks federal regulation on industries, most of which were written by the corporations, and for the benefit of the corporations that are supposedly being regulated. Said regulations are not designed to protect the consumer, but rather are a barrier to competitors in those industries, and are thus harming the market, the consumer, and the economy.

Shane Harris
10-18-2011, 11:03 AM
the debate is most assuredly going to suck just as much as the rest. just prepare for the shitcircus and push bto and remind everyone to donate

Plague-of-Locutus
10-18-2011, 11:09 AM
I think it's more symbolic to simply attend the debate in RPs stance. The outcome is always the same with RP not talking much while the others are making boobs out of themselves flip flopping on last weeks missteps. All the while, guess who is still standing there tall as the rest with more substance and virtually no baggage ?

People will notice.

jmdrake
10-18-2011, 11:16 AM
I disagree, constantly saying that will annoy people, also mentioning Rush might be a good idea (and funny) but as for the Savage idea he should NOT bring up anything that will lead into the assassinating the cleric discussion, this will be a conservative audience, that is the last thing you want to get into a discussion about.

Most people don't seem to get annoyed at Herman Cain bringing up "9-9-9" every chance he gets. As for the cleric thing, it's going to come up anyway especially since the next debate is supposed to be about foreign policy. Maybe Ron should not fire that volley until it does come up, but when it does he must point out someone on the right who agrees with him. Savage is as good as any for that purpose.

CrissyNY
10-18-2011, 11:20 AM
the debate is most assuredly going to suck just as much as the rest. just prepare for the shitcircus and push bto and remind everyone to donate

I am afraid you're right

ItsTime
10-18-2011, 11:21 AM
ad time > debate time. The media will ignore Ron even if he does good.

Suzu
10-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Well I just hope neither of his eyebrows fall off this time :D

pauladin
10-18-2011, 05:19 PM
i expect cain to get hurt tonight.

LibertyEagle
10-18-2011, 05:20 PM
I think this debate will be similar to last debate where Cain makes a fool of himself more, Romney is on the defensive, and Perry attacks Romney. Hopefully Ron's economic plan will be brought up during the debate. And hopefully he'll mention that he'll be president for 40k/year.

See, here's the deal. You and, probably a lot of us, believe that Cain made a fool of himself, but a whole lot of other people saw it quite differently. If you recall, Cain's numbers continued to go through the roof after that debate.

Deborah K
10-18-2011, 05:20 PM
I disagree. Ron has money, so as long as you have money, you have a chance...unless you say something STUPID, like Rick Perry. I am not too worried about Ron doing that.

This

anewvoice
10-18-2011, 05:21 PM

^this, I've been more disappointed with each debate since Iowa, tonight will not be different. That's okay though, tomorrow I vent! :)

anaconda
10-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Ron was up awful early doing TV spots. I hope he got a solid nap in this afternoon.

bolidew
10-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm sure the campaign, as well as Ron himself, is completely aware how much is at stake tonight.

Coming off of the heels of a (relatively) ignored economic plan and right before a huge moneybomb, this is probably Ron's most important debate ever.

Yep, he has got to pump his economic plan, many times needed.

LibertyEagle
10-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Here's my guess.

They will try to scare the shit out of people with regard to Ron Paul's economic plan. They will ask him about nukes and hope he starts philosophizing about chemical plants and their private guards and imply that the private sector should take care of the nukes. It would be devastating. Lights out.

Ron has to truly act like he is running for president, tonight. He has to show himself to be a strong leader, the person who has the plan and the expertise to put America back on solid economic footing, strong on national defense and the one who can beat Obama.

bolidew
10-18-2011, 05:29 PM
ad time > debate time. The media will ignore Ron even if he does good.
Debate is BIG time ADs.

LibertyEagle
10-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Don't you find it interesting that when Ron Paul was 3rd in the polls, the media only covered the top 2. Now, that Paul is 4th in the polls, the media covers the top 3.

:rolleyes:

Paulitical Correctness
10-18-2011, 05:34 PM
If the debate goes well and they're fair - they lose.
If the debate is another circus and they piss us all off like usual - they lose.
Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Remember that next time the media is biased.
They weren't fair in '08 and look what has happened in just four short years.

Hearty guffaws at the establishment from my direction regardless of what happens tonight or with this election, because people are becoming more and more wise to their antics. I'd like to imagine a lot of bitter folks are going into panic mode these days.