PDA

View Full Version : CBS: Ron Paul proposes saving $1T by scrapping five federal departments

sailingaway
10-17-2011, 12:59 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20121485-503544.html

bb_dg
10-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Just because it is CBS, I'm afraid to click of the link in fear of the comments.

sailingaway
10-17-2011, 01:01 PM
just don't read the comments.

Bruno
The timing of the release of his economic plan was pure genius, btw. :D

sailingaway

I was thinking the same thing. Cain is just starting to get stale.

KingNothing
Notice they said "saving" and not cutting?

Let's watch for little changes in the narrative from negative to positive like that. They matter.

undergroundrr
10-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Pretty much a slight rephrasing of the Executive Summary. Remarkably unbiased considering CBS' recent efforts.

chris41336
10-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I couldn't keep reading after I took a look at the "top 5 news stories on CBS". These people deserve the shitstorm that is coming. *sigh*

tremendoustie
10-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Notice they said "saving" and not cutting?

Let's watch for little changes in the narrative from negative to positive like that. They matter.

Yes, they do -- and the reason for the change in language is the deficit, I believe.

KingNothing
10-17-2011, 01:09 PM

I've thought that quite often this time around. Politically, they've been basically flawless.

What reasons do you see for this being the perfect time to release the plan?

chris41336
10-17-2011, 01:10 PM
I've thought that quite often this time around. Politically, they've been basically flawless.

What reasons do you see for this being the perfect time to release the plan?

Day before a debate, 2 days before a moneybomb, after most of the other campaigns have released their plans to prevent copying, right as the focus is on Hermain Cain's 999 plan and how limited and shortsighted it is.

iamse7en
10-17-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm surprised all of these news reports never comment on what the current salary is for the President. They just say what RP would like to reduce it to.

Romulus
10-17-2011, 01:40 PM
A+ move by the campaign... especially the part about cutting the Presidents salary!!!

Now Ron can talk about this during the debate on Tues night.

KingNothing
10-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Day before a debate, 2 days before a moneybomb, after most of the other campaigns have released their plans to prevent copying, right as the focus is on Hermain Cain's 999 plan and how limited and shortsighted it is.

It really does put Cain's plan to shame, doesn't it?

Another thing to consider is that it gives the other candidates something to be compared to and contrasted against. That should lead to more speaking time being granted to Paul at the debate on the topic of economics. Other candidates will be forced to say how they differ from Paul, and I can't imagine their substance-free message winning them any points.

JoshLowry
10-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Comment section aint too bad.

This is one of the best I've seen.

We can make a controlled emergency landing with a plan like Paul's or we can just let the plane crash.

Aratus
10-17-2011, 02:38 PM
the media has avoided laying Dr. Ron Paul's ideas out there in full detail.
that lil skit on SNL reached a bigger audiance for Ron Paul than has the
more highbrow detailed analysis of his domestic and foreign policy ideas.

VoluntaryAmerican
10-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Just because it is CBS, I'm afraid to click of the link in fear of the comments.

Comment by Zarrakan
"You cannot rely on private business to take care of society.

Private business is not for the people by the people. Private business is for the money by the company. Private business will take your money, and give you nothing in return whenever they can get away with it. See private health care for examples.

Huge government is great because as long as it is run properly it protects the people it represents from private business that will murder them for their money if they can get away with it."

lol

jaumen
10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm surprised all of these news reports never comment on what the current salary is for the President. They just say what RP would like to reduce it to.

I'd link you if I could remember, but I read it this morning on a different computer so I can't really easily look it up... but at least one article I read did.... it stated that the current salary is ~$400,000.

ItsTime
10-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Comment by Zarrakan

Private business is not for the people by the people. Private business is for the money by the company. Private business will take your money, and give you nothing in return whenever they can get away with it. See private health care for examples.

Huge government is great because as long as it is run properly it protects the people it represents from private business that will murder them for their money if they can get away with it."

lol

My guess it is freshman in high school

matt0611
10-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Comment by Zarrakan
"You cannot rely on Government to take care of society.

Government is not for the people by the people. Government is for the money of the beauracrats and their friends. Government will take your money, and give you nothing in return whenever they can get away with it. See just about everything government does for example

lol

There, fixed ;)

RKoho
10-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Comment by Zarrakan

lol

That dude is a fool. Look at another one of his bits of 'genius'.

"The easiest example of this is food. Every year millions of tons of food end up in landfills because the stores that bought it were not able to sell it. They rather throw it away to keep food scarce/expensive than give the food to those who need it for free. By doing so they create an artificial scarcity of food."

Complete nonsense. He's never owned a business. Food that doesn't sell to customers often goes to, if the owner is smart, to cattle farms or other industries. And that's just one example of how to make money from food that doesn't sell. And of course some of it goes to charity if it's still good. The second problem is that he believes a restaurant, by throwing away leftover/rotten food can increase food scarcity. Please. Even if that were the case restaurants wouldn't necessarily mind food prices go lower; they'd have more customers. Anyone else have an idea on this?

klamath
10-17-2011, 04:58 PM

"The easiest example of this is food. Every year millions of tons of food end up in landfills because the stores that bought it were not able to sell it. They rather throw it away to keep food scarce/expensive than give the food to those who need it for free. By doing so they create an artificial scarcity of food."

Complete nonsense. He's never owned a business. Food that doesn't sell to customers often goes to, if the owner is smart, to cattle farms or other industries. And that's just one example of how to make money from food that doesn't sell. And of course some of it goes to charity if it's still good. The second problem is that he believes a restaurant, by throwing away leftover/rotten food can increase food scarcity. Please. Even if that were the case restaurants wouldn't necessarily mind food prices go lower; they'd have more customers. Anyone else have an idea on this?
And just how long do you think a private business would last after the first belly ache from bad food?

RedLightning
10-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Wonder why he picked those specific departments.

PaulConventionWV
10-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Yeah, I've worked at plenty of service industries including Burger King, and the last thing we would want to do is start throwing away our inventory. If it's bad, it obviously has to go, but you don't throw away stuff that is good. That does absolutely nothing for business. Even if you could create a food scarcity, it wouldn't be worth it because you have to refresh your inventory and replace the stuff that is gone.