PDA

View Full Version : I am ...

InTradePro
10-17-2011, 06:34 AM
I am a millionaire, but I never held a real job in my life.
I went to Harvard and Columbia.
I have one of the biggest private jets in the world take me wherever I want.
My wife wears $44,000 diamond bracelets.
I play golf every weekend and the most expensive resorts.
Goldman Sachs gives me millions of dollars.
When I retire, I'll get paid hundreds of millions $ in speaking fees by big companies.
I'll make millions more as a board member of the corporations you are protesting.

MY NAME IS BARACK OBAMA, AND I AM THE 1%.
#OccupyWallStreet!

Copied from a news comment.

Bruno
10-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Great idea to spread this, as he of the 1% himself fuels the class war fire!

fisharmor
10-17-2011, 06:42 AM
Don't hate the playa, baby, hate the game.

moostraks
10-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Don't hate the playa, baby, hate the game.

White House Says that Obama is Fighting for the Interests of the 99 Percent

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?323476-White-House-Says-that-Obama-is-Fighting-for-the-Interests-of-the-99-Percent

It is one thing to play the game because greed seems typical human behavior. It is another issue to pillage people and tell them you are fighting for their interests so you can suck up more power and turn the police state on them even more so than before. If there weren't players there wouldn't be a game.

Johnny Appleseed
10-17-2011, 07:05 AM
I just don't see how 99% can blame 1% for 100% of the problem...I'd take those odds any day... How many of that 99% ran up credit card debt trying to live like the 1%? You can point at the government and you can point at the fed and you can point at wall street but that leaves 1 finger to point at ourselves...the biggest one!

fisharmor
10-17-2011, 07:13 AM
It is one thing to play the game because greed seems typical human behavior. It is another issue to pillage people and tell them you are fighting for their interests so you can suck up more power and turn the police state on them even more so than before. If there weren't players there wouldn't be a game.

That has always been the sum and total of "the game".
If you take a dump on your front lawn, you shouldn't be surprised when the flies show up. Is it the flies' fault that they're in your yard? You can say that, but it's their nature. They're attracted to the mess you made.
Likewise, while I "blame" BHO for being who he is, I'm not going to use that in an argument. He is what he is - a bloodsucking leech who stumbled on an open wound.
If it wasn't him, it would be someone else. There's no shortage of them.

I just don't see how 99% can blame 1% for 100% of the problem...I'd take those odds any day... How many of that 99% ran up credit card debt trying to live like the 1%? You can point at the government and you can point at the fed and you can point at wall street but that leaves 1 finger to point at ourselves...the biggest one!

This is closer to the truth... but man, you need to stay away from the table saw, or whatever it was.....

moostraks
10-17-2011, 07:26 AM
That has always been the sum and total of "the game".
If you take a dump on your front lawn, you shouldn't be surprised when the flies show up. Is it the flies' fault that they're in your yard? You can say that, but it's their nature. They're attracted to the mess you made.
Likewise, while I "blame" BHO for being who he is, I'm not going to use that in an argument. He is what he is - a bloodsucking leech who stumbled on an open wound.
If it wasn't him, it would be someone else. There's no shortage of them.

This is closer to the truth... but man, you need to stay away from the table saw, or whatever it was.....

who do you think is behind the rules? they are making the rules and charging us for the privilege when there is no where else to go. if you opt out they come after you since dissenters are a threat to the game's effectiveness.

eta: social services makes the rules for how my family should be raised, the medical community and government workers relay if I am complying, government education tells me how to educate my children and the state ensures compliance is met even if you don't use the gov't schools, trade is regulated by the government, barter is being cracked down on because it is tax evasion, my home must be in compliance with housing regulations including in many (pos. most) instances hooking into the grid because corporate interests lobby for regulations, food is being franken engineered but I may not purchase what I wish to ingest from local small farmers because big ag has lobbied for food regulations. All of the solutions demanded by government to be complied with are regulated using frns which have an inflation tax I am paying as they bail out favored companies.

I do not own my home, my car, my digestive track, nor are my children my own but state property. If I dissent I am a "nut case" or a "whack job" worthy of the tin foil hatter society. For this we have police memos to look for suspicious behavior that renders me a domestic enemy. If I espouse my ideas and they pick up traction I can now be killed by a drone attack by the same people who make the rules and demand their enforcement all without a jury of my peers.

I can call my congressman who ignores my wishes, I can participate in elections where the machines are rigged, paper votes aren't counted unless the election is close, and the regulatory rules during elections are tweeked to ensure the game stays rigged for the minority in the event I get wise and seek to overthrow the tyrants. If I peacefully protest I can be maced, tazed, and arrested at the whim of those in charge. At which point I will no longer be able to seek and/or maintain gainful employment to afford to fight another day. At which point any and all property and family members will be forfeited to the state.

Pointing out the schmucks who are using the system to oppress rather than allowing the mindless zombies to continue to espouse them as the cure for the disease is the least I can do. Some people have battered spouse syndrome and are so busy trying to see where they went wrong that they fail to see there is only so much one can do when living with an abuser.

Johnny Appleseed
10-17-2011, 07:42 AM
How many of that 1% are rock stars movie stars sport stars? That WE support? We spent over 20 million dollars just going to the movies Friday night...boy that sends a real tough message to washington that we are hurting...

Maverick
10-17-2011, 07:43 AM

Found in the picture thread:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/310637_2401946404850_1136777814_3897571_1123034735 _n.jpg

This is the kinda guy that took responsibility for himself, didn't run up debt, and lived within his means. I think this is the kind of guy you're looking for when you're talking about the "average joe" that isn't part of the so-called 99%.

moostraks
10-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Found in the picture thread:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/310637_2401946404850_1136777814_3897571_1123034735 _n.jpg

This is the kinda guy that took responsibility for himself, didn't run up debt, and lived within his means. I think this is the kind of guy you're looking for when you're talking about the "average joe" that isn't part of the so-called 99%.

is the state university not taxpayer funded? where are the scholarships funded from?

btw 30 hours a week is not working your a@@ off.

freeforall
10-17-2011, 08:32 AM
is the state university not taxpayer funded? where are the scholarships funded from?

30+ hours a week and going to school full-time is working your ass off.

moostraks
10-17-2011, 08:34 AM

no it's not...

again how is the university funded and who funded the scholarships??? this individual is not self made...

jmdrake
10-17-2011, 08:38 AM

I don't think the person in the picture is saying "Don't accept any taxpayer funded assistance that's already out there" but rather "don't be a douche and demand even more assistance when you aren't making the best of what's already available."

Thanks for saying that. I was just about to say it myself.

pcosmar
10-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Yes he is, whether he understands it or not.

The 1% are not the normal wealthy. The guy that runs an honest business or is paid for his services.

The 1% that the movement is talking about are those Elite that are running the game. The ones that FUND every war, that control the banks (All of them) and the money. The ones that have perverted our system of Government.
They are called many things (the elite, Illuminati, etc.). They are the few that believe they own the whole world.

They are in fact less than 1%.
the 99% are everybody else. And that guy that worked and saved can wake tomorrow and find all his savings and wealth gone,, at the stroke of a pen.

Bruno
10-17-2011, 08:54 AM

It is when you are also attending classes and studying for them.

moostraks
10-17-2011, 09:32 AM
It is when you are also attending classes and studying for them.

you know I see most of you disagreeing with me...but I see it as a lifestyle choice hardly worthy of horn tooting. I don't think anyone would be patting me on the back for having 8 children and not getting any sleep recently, and nor would I expect them to. This individual is bettering themself, not working their a@@ off. Working your a@@ off to me is working several jobs and just making subsistence level all on ones on with no assistance. Not choosing to improve ones self through taxpayer funding while working a 30 hour a week part time job. The fact that they are doing well in school should be what they owe back for the funding they are receiving. People used to work part time jobs after going to school as children, now that that is no longer the case we seem to think as a society that working 30 hours a week while getting an education is working our a@@ off, and that would be a perception problem imo since we as a society have become soft...

moostraks
10-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't think the person in the picture is saying "Don't accept any taxpayer funded assistance that's already out there" but rather "don't be a douche and demand even more assistance when you aren't making the best of what's already available."

:) And I see this as the glass house argument...he is throwing stones when he accepts some form of assistance while working a part time job and then claiming they are some how better than those who are complaining. So it appears this individual is good at test taking since they received merit scholarships. Why should someone who is not a good test taker not lobby for "their" slice of the pie since they are not qualified for the current scholarships?

(I think this person is a horse's behind that doesn't realize they are just as at fault as those complaining for more...)

fisharmor
10-17-2011, 10:19 AM
who do you think is behind the rules? they are making the rules and charging us for the privilege when there is no where else to go. if you opt out they come after you since dissenters are a threat to the game's effectiveness.

eta: social services makes the rules for how my family should be raised, the medical community and government workers relay if I am complying, government education tells me how to educate my children and the state ensures compliance is met even if you don't use the gov't schools, trade is regulated by the government, barter is being cracked down on because it is tax evasion, my home must be in compliance with housing regulations including in many (pos. most) instances hooking into the grid because corporate interests lobby for regulations, food is being franken engineered but I may not purchase what I wish to ingest from local small farmers because big ag has lobbied for food regulations. All of the solutions demanded by government to be complied with are regulated using frns which have an inflation tax I am paying as they bail out favored companies.

I do not own my home, my car, my digestive track, nor are my children my own but state property. If I dissent I am a "nut case" or a "whack job" worthy of the tin foil hatter society. For this we have police memos to look for suspicious behavior that renders me a domestic enemy. If I espouse my ideas and they pick up traction I can now be killed by a drone attack by the same people who make the rules and demand their enforcement all without a jury of my peers.

I can call my congressman who ignores my wishes, I can participate in elections where the machines are rigged, paper votes aren't counted unless the election is close, and the regulatory rules during elections are tweeked to ensure the game stays rigged for the minority in the event I get wise and seek to overthrow the tyrants. If I peacefully protest I can be maced, tazed, and arrested at the whim of those in charge. At which point I will no longer be able to seek and/or maintain gainful employment to afford to fight another day. At which point any and all property and family members will be forfeited to the state.

Pointing out the schmucks who are using the system to oppress rather than allowing the mindless zombies to continue to espouse them as the cure for the disease is the least I can do. Some people have battered spouse syndrome and are so busy trying to see where they went wrong that they fail to see there is only so much one can do when living with an abuser.

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you.
In fact, I agree with everything you just said.
I just don't believe that pointing out to the wife that her husband is beating her up is the problem.
Her reaction is going to be "well he doesn't beat me up THAT badly".
If you convince her that he does, then her next reaction is going to be to leave him and find a husband who really doesn't beat her up as badly... but is still beating her up.

Sounds an awful lot like an election.

Who are we going to be married to for the next four years? This Obama guy has been working the left cheek for a while, and it hurts. Maybe we'll go back to our right cheek for a while.

I don't see any long-term utility in calling him out just because he's been punching the left cheek harder and faster than the last guy was punching the right cheek. I see even less utility in ignoring the punches altogether and concentrating on how little time he spends on the heavybag, or what his wife is wearing.

The problem is everything that you listed. If Ron Paul doesn't win the presidency, there is a 100% guarantee that we'll be getting punched in the face. Mathematical certainty.
Poking fun at Obama only takes attention away from that.

moostraks
10-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you.
In fact, I agree with everything you just said.
I just don't believe that pointing out to the wife that her husband is beating her up is the problem.
Her reaction is going to be "well he doesn't beat me up THAT badly".
If you convince her that he does, then her next reaction is going to be to leave him and find a husband who really doesn't beat her up as badly... but is still beating her up.

Sounds an awful lot like an election.

Who are we going to be married to for the next four years? This Obama guy has been working the left cheek for a while, and it hurts. Maybe we'll go back to our right cheek for a while.

I don't see any long-term utility in calling him out just because he's been punching the left cheek harder and faster than the last guy was punching the right cheek. I see even less utility in ignoring the punches altogether and concentrating on how little time he spends on the heavybag, or what his wife is wearing.

The problem is everything that you listed. If Ron Paul doesn't win the presidency, there is a 100% guarantee that we'll be getting punched in the face. Mathematical certainty.
Poking fun at Obama only takes attention away from that.

I guess I am more the type who doesn't see it as poking fun but pointing out to many the error in trying to think he is being forthright and on their side. I agree absolutely we are in a heap of trouble without a Paul presidency. I liken the OWS fiasco as many people saying thank you sir may I have another? considering the list of demands that seem to be floating about. The media has done a fine job in disrupting any real opposition to the gov't and it seems like this protest will end up being much like the tea party ones.

freeforall
10-17-2011, 11:00 AM
you know I see most of you disagreeing with me...but I see it as a lifestyle choice hardly worthy of horn tooting.

I see your point and can agree that there are people out there working harder than this guy, but I still think he deserves some credit for his efforts.

jmdrake
10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
:) And I see this as the glass house argument...he is throwing stones when he accepts some form of assistance while working a part time job and then claiming they are some how better than those who are complaining. So it appears this individual is good at test taking since they received merit scholarships. Why should someone who is not a good test taker not lobby for "their" slice of the pie since they are not qualified for the current scholarships?

(I think this person is a horse's behind that doesn't realize they are just as at fault as those complaining for more...)

1) Keeping good grades is not about test taking skills. It's about hard work. I have great test taking skills. My grades were only mediocre. I know people who suck at standardized tests who maintain 3.8 GPAs. Part of my problem is that I was lazy because I knew I could always make up for it on the test.

2) Many scholarships are privately funded.

3) Many scholarships are neither based on test scores or grades. You can get scholarships for writing essays or for being on the school newspaper or yearbook or being an Eagle Scout or doing a host of other things. You can't get a scholarship just for being popular in H.S. or being good at playing Madden or World of Warcraft. (And as soon as I post this, someone's going to go look up the "Video gamer's scholarship").

I don't at all think he's being a "horse's behind". I think he's giving practical advice that I try to give to H.S. students I run into all of the time who flit away the years they should be spending improving their grades because they have no sense of direction. Sorry but I just don't buy your "he's just as at fault" argument. At fault for what? Being responsible?

Edit: I would agree with your "glass house" argument if the person in the picture was saying "End all taxpayer funded XYZ." He's not. Maybe you think he should be. Feel free to make your own sign. ;)

moostraks
10-17-2011, 11:44 AM
1) Keeping good grades is not about test taking skills. It's about hard work. I have great test taking skills. My grades were only mediocre. I know people who suck at standardized tests who maintain 3.8 GPAs. Part of my problem is that I was lazy because I knew I could always make up for it on the test.

2) Many scholarships are privately funded.

3) Many scholarships are neither based on test scores or grades. You can get scholarships for writing essays or for being on the school newspaper or yearbook or being an Eagle Scout or doing a host of other things. You can't get a scholarship just for being popular in H.S. or being good at playing Madden or World of Warcraft. (And as soon as I post this, someone's going to go look up the "Video gamer's scholarship").

I don't at all think he's being a "horse's behind". I think he's giving practical advice that I try to give to H.S. students I run into all of the time who flit away the years they should be spending improving their grades because they have no sense of direction. Sorry but I just don't buy your "he's just as at fault" argument. At fault for what? Being responsible?

Edit: I would agree with your "glass house" argument if the person in the picture was saying "End all taxpayer funded XYZ." He's not. Maybe you think he should be. Feel free to make your own sign. ;)

I have to agree to disagree with you. I got great grades, was in ap classes, and didn't crack a book until right before the class when homework was due (if I did it). Never studied...I passed tests because I had memorization skills. I have some of the books the high schools use and they still teach for the test. My friend worked hard to get barely passing grades. I would have gotten more scholarship opportunities by far than she. The problem is the system of inflated costs for a diminishing economy which is increasingly demanding we get a degree for any job no matter how menial. Why would this be?

I see his argument as I am self made, you can be too....and doesn't even have enough time on this planet to have much world experience while being blessed with marketable skills (test taking ability). Are not state universities taxpayer funded? This is a genuine question not me being snarky. You might try to argue the possibility of a private scholarship, but I would doubt that at 90% coverage for a merit based scholarship at a state university is private funded. Call my cynical. I think we are seeing this poster from two very different viewpoints that will not find common ground. By you stating people should work within the system that is already costing people dearly I fail to see why others aren't justified in demanding benefits that apply to their life situation, and both sides of that argument are wrong, imo. Feel free to disagree. I will save my ink from the poster and focus on raising my children to hopefully view things differently from the majority...

eta...the reason why it strikes me as he is claiming to be self made is the comment I will continue to work my a@@ off for everything I have...that just ain't so imo in this instance as they are blessed with certain set of skills that allows them to use the system as it stands for personal benefit.

Johnny Appleseed
10-17-2011, 11:48 AM
If there is only 1% of them then it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who they are...Is there an official list?

Why they go to all the trouble of going down there to protest when the best thing they could do would be to just stay home.

When you stay home you don't drive the corporate car to the rally on corporate tires. You won't stop for corporate gasoline or corporate food and drink...If you really want to stick it to the corporate pigs you would grow a garden,can your own food, learn how to sew your own clothes. Buy things for their quality and durability.

It is WE THE PEOPLE that have turned corporate logos into status symbols

jmdrake
10-18-2011, 12:12 PM
I have to agree to disagree with you. I got great grades, was in ap classes, and didn't crack a book until right before the class when homework was due (if I did it). Never studied...I passed tests because I had memorization skills. I have some of the books the high schools use and they still teach for the test. My friend worked hard to get barely passing grades. I would have gotten more scholarship opportunities by far than she. The problem is the system of inflated costs for a diminishing economy which is increasingly demanding we get a degree for any job no matter how menial. Why would this be?

It sounds like the classes that you took didn't value homework much. My 9th grade year homework was valued enough to keep my GPA at a C average even though I made A's or high B's on my my exams. When I realized how much this was costing me in potential scholarship money I changed my ways. I have friends who sucked at taking tests but got good grades anyway, the anecdote of your friend notwithstanding. The disconnect between test taking and grades is large enough that some schools don't look at standardized test scores anymore. I'm not saying your experience isn't valid, but it's not the only experience out there.

Also I've been on the other side of the desk. I taught a computer literacy class as a grad student to over 100 undergrads. (Note that most graduate students actually save the school system money by providing cheap labor). Nobody ever showed up for office hours. And yes there were people who struggled in what was really an easy class. I even went so far as to give everyone the opportunity to pad their grads by doing extra credit reports. I told them at the beginning of the course that any report was an automatic +5 on their midterm or final and they could do two of them. Only about 10% of the class took advantage of this. Now I agree this is just anecdotal, and maybe your friend would have not been a slacker in my class. But a lot of people don't put everything into life that they should, myself included. That's not the government or society's fault.

I see his argument as I am self made, you can be too....and doesn't even have enough time on this planet to have much world experience while being blessed with marketable skills (test taking ability). Are not state universities taxpayer funded? This is a genuine question not me being snarky. You might try to argue the possibility of a private scholarship, but I would doubt that at 90% coverage for a merit based scholarship at a state university is private funded.

In TN you can get a 100% scholarship based on lottery dollars. While that's not "privately funded" it's not taxpayer funded either. I also know private universities who give full ride merit scholarships based 100% on private donations through endowments. When I graduated our class was challenged to set up our own endowment fund. If enough of us donated the money would be there for a yearly scholarship without additional monies needed for anyone. (I'm not sure if the goal was reached).

Call my cynical. I think we are seeing this poster from two very different viewpoints that will not find common ground. By you stating people should work within the system that is already costing people dearly I fail to see why others aren't justified in demanding benefits that apply to their life situation, and both sides of that argument are wrong, imo. Feel free to disagree. I will save my ink from the poster and focus on raising my children to hopefully view things differently from the majority...

eta...the reason why it strikes me as he is claiming to be self made is the comment I will continue to work my a@@ off for everything I have...that just ain't so imo in this instance as they are blessed with certain set of skills that allows them to use the system as it stands for personal benefit.

Everyone is blessed with a certain set of skills. What matters is how you use those skills. That was the point Jesus made with the parable about the talents. Either you can make the best of your opportunities, or you will forever be thinking that someone else owes you more.

moostraks
10-26-2011, 11:30 AM
It sounds like the classes that you took didn't value homework much. My 9th grade year homework was valued enough to keep my GPA at a C average even though I made A's or high B's on my my exams. When I realized how much this was costing me in potential scholarship money I changed my ways. I have friends who sucked at taking tests but got good grades anyway, the anecdote of your friend notwithstanding. The disconnect between test taking and grades is large enough that some schools don't look at standardized test scores anymore. I'm not saying your experience isn't valid, but it's not the only experience out there.

Also I've been on the other side of the desk. I taught a computer literacy class as a grad student to over 100 undergrads. (Note that most graduate students actually save the school system money by providing cheap labor). Nobody ever showed up for office hours. And yes there were people who struggled in what was really an easy class. I even went so far as to give everyone the opportunity to pad their grads by doing extra credit reports. I told them at the beginning of the course that any report was an automatic +5 on their midterm or final and they could do two of them. Only about 10% of the class took advantage of this. Now I agree this is just anecdotal, and maybe your friend would have not been a slacker in my class. But a lot of people don't put everything into life that they should, myself included. That's not the government or society's fault.

In TN you can get a 100% scholarship based on lottery dollars. While that's not "privately funded" it's not taxpayer funded either. I also know private universities who give full ride merit scholarships based 100% on private donations through endowments. When I graduated our class was challenged to set up our own endowment fund. If enough of us donated the money would be there for a yearly scholarship without additional monies needed for anyone. (I'm not sure if the goal was reached).

Everyone is blessed with a certain set of skills. What matters is how you use those skills. That was the point Jesus made with the parable about the talents. Either you can make the best of your opportunities, or you will forever be thinking that someone else owes you more.

I was curious about your 100% scholarship comment based on lottery dollars. The scholarship appears to be $4000 http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/sep/01/tightening-lottery-scholarship-rules/ "At present, students can get a $4,000 scholarship for four-year schools in the state by scoring a 21 on the ACT or by earning a 3.0 grade-point average in high school." and the average tuition for in state is "Public 4-Year (in-state tuition) $7,605" http://admissions.utk.edu/undergraduate/funding/tuition.shtml So your numbers don't jive on a 100% lottery scholarship. The possibility and the probability of a full ride being attainable by the majority even if they play all their cards right and study hard would be much akin to winning the lottery. So I stand by the fact that I believe this individual to be making others out to be lazy is absurd just because he played a very small system to his advantage.

As for what appears to be your belief that I think someone owes someone something here, you read me wrong. My point was that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. My own education was paid for out of my own pocket. Right now my career is a sahm home educator.

eta:as far as the comment about my classes not valuing homework, I took AP classes. If they didn't value homework at that level what do you think they valued it at in the general classes???