PDA

View Full Version : Success Story (Motivation)

vroomery
10-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I had a wonderful 4 hour conversation last weekend with a friend I met through my wife. I'm only 23 and he is in his mid 50's with 2 grandchildren, but it was such a blast talking to him about his past and of course about political philosophy ranging from foreign policy to the drug war, homosexuality, the economy and everything in between. I learned about his time spent with the coast guard shutting down the drug smuggling routes in the gulf in the 70's. He agrees in retrospect that shutting these routes down funneled them all through Mexico, ultimately ruining that country and not solving the problem. He now supports ending the drug war and acting in non-intervention.

We started discussing individual candidates and he said he found Cain to be enticing from what he saw in the recent debates (this was before tuesdays debate). I informed him of Cain's history as Chairman of the KC FED and his flip flops on the bailouts, auditing the FED and the killing of a US Citizen without due process. After hearing that he said he definitely wouldn't be voting for him in the primaries and that Ron Paul is the only choice for true small government.

From what I can tell he has been a Libertarian leaning Conservative for decades and has basically just been sucked into the world of Fox News. For these types, all it takes is an honest, level headed conversation of the facts and Ron Paul is the only clear choice. This thing is going to be won 1 conversation at a time. Other campaigns can talk slogans and rhetoric all day long, but it only lasts for an election season, if that. For us to win our country back, we have to focus on reminding people the truth and common sense found in Liberty.

As a final source of motivation, one of my favorite quotes...
"Liberty is to faction what air is to fire, an aliment without which it instantly expires. But it could not be less folly to abolish liberty, which is essential to political life, because it nourishes faction, than it would be to wish the annihilation of air, which is essential to animal life, because it imparts to fire its destructive agency."
-James Madison (Federalist Paper #10)

CaptUSA
10-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Lots of good points in here... Good job.

Many people ask what they can do - conversations like this one are huge!

kazmlsj
10-14-2011, 03:11 PM
You know people keep touting the 'fact' that Cain is not a politician...but in reality he is given his affiliation with the Federal Reserve (which claims to be a private institution but, come on, it is in essence owned by the government).

Am I wrong?

Glad about your conversation - isn't it a great feeling to talk to a like-minded person and be encouraged?

Cap'n Crunk
10-14-2011, 03:17 PM
You know people keep touting the 'fact' that Cain is not a politician...but in reality he is given his affiliation with the Federal Reserve (which claims to be a private institution but, come on, it is in essence owned by the government).

Am I wrong?

Glad about your conversation - isn't it a great feeling to talk to a like-minded person and be encouraged?

He's only not a politician because he is 0 for 2 when running to become one. About to be 0 for 3.

Cap'n Crunk
10-14-2011, 03:18 PM
I had a wonderful 4 hour conversation last weekend with a friend I met through my wife. I'm only 23 and he is in his mid 50's with 2 grandchildren, but it was such a blast talking to him about his past and of course about political philosophy ranging from foreign policy to the drug war, homosexuality, the economy and everything in between. I learned about his time spent with the coast guard shutting down the drug smuggling routes in the gulf in the 70's. He agrees in retrospect that shutting these routes down funneled them all through Mexico, ultimately ruining that country and not solving the problem. He now supports ending the drug war and acting in non-intervention.

We started discussing individual candidates and he said he found Cain to be enticing from what he saw in the recent debates (this was before tuesdays debate). I informed him of Cain's history as Chairman of the KC FED and his flip flops on the bailouts, auditing the FED and the killing of a US Citizen without due process. After hearing that he said he definitely wouldn't be voting for him in the primaries and that Ron Paul is the only choice for true small government.

From what I can tell he has been a Libertarian leaning Conservative for decades and has basically just been sucked into the world of Fox News. For these types, all it takes is an honest, level headed conversation of the facts and Ron Paul is the only clear choice. This thing is going to be won 1 conversation at a time. Other campaigns can talk slogans and rhetoric all day long, but it only lasts for an election season, if that. For us to win our country back, we have to focus on reminding people the truth and common sense found in Liberty.

As a final source of motivation, one of my favorite quotes...
"Liberty is to faction what air is to fire, an aliment without which it instantly expires. But it could not be less folly to abolish liberty, which is essential to political life, because it nourishes faction, than it would be to wish the annihilation of air, which is essential to animal life, because it imparts to fire its destructive agency."
-James Madison (Federalist Paper #10)

Good story +Rep I'd love to see a subforum dedicated to posts like this one.

vroomery
10-14-2011, 03:32 PM

It really is. It's the polar opposite to the frustration I feel when the media belittles him. We win when we don't stop fighting.