PDA

View Full Version : Obama sends troops to Africa to help fight Lord’s Resistance Army guerrilla group

Liberty Rebellion
10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Add Uganda to the list of countries we are at "war" with. How many countries is this and which ones? I lost count

President Obama said Friday he is sending a small number of U.S. combat troops to central Africa to assist in a regional effort to neutralize the Lord’s Resistance Army, a guerrilla force originally from northern Uganda that has been accused of terrorizing civilians in several countries.

hxxp://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-sends-troops-to-africa-to-help-fight-guerrilla-group/2011/10/14/gIQA0o7LkL_story.html

Romulus
10-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Hmm.. looks like Paul will get even MORE money from the troops now.

Liberty Rebellion
10-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I think I got it: Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya, and now Uganda

Edit: It's actually worse than that. From the article, "Subject to host nation approval, the U.S. forces are to deploy into Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Obama wrote."

flightlesskiwi
10-14-2011, 01:23 PM
He said he ordered the deployment under a law enacted in May 2010, the Lord’s Resistance Army Disarmament and Northern Uganda Recovery Act.

^^^WHAT THE F*CK is this!!??!!

Subject to host nation approval, the U.S. forces are to deploy into Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Obama wrote.

1, 2, 3, 4 countries. hip hip hooray!

In 2005, the International Criminal Court in the Hague issued arrest warrants for Kony, his deputy Vincent Otti and three top LRA commanders, charging them with crimes against humanity and war crimes. Otti and at least one of the accused commanders has since been reported killed.

and in 2007 Africom was born. huzzah!

amerika, f*ck yeah! policemen of the world! bringing the bad guys to justice an sh*t.

CaptainAmerica
10-14-2011, 01:25 PM
In 2007 or 2008 a Northern Africa military command HQ was built by the pentagon.

flightlesskiwi
10-14-2011, 01:29 PM
An “initial team of U.S. military personnel with appropriate combat equipment deployed to Uganda” on Wednesday, and additional forces are to be sent during the next month, Obama said. Those forces will include “a second combat-equipped team and associated headquarters, communications and logistics personnel,” he said.

get ready for the drones!!

pcosmar
10-14-2011, 01:33 PM
In the mid 1970s I was approached while on active duty and offered a "Job" twice,,, Once for Angola the other for Rhodesia.
They were recruiting from active duty and could "take care" of the paper work.

Some shit just never ends.

Brian4Liberty
10-14-2011, 01:45 PM
^^^WHAT THE F*CK is this!!??!!

Here you go, Congress authorized the use of Military force. Pretty sneaky.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s1067/text

SEC. 3. STATEMENT OF POLICY.

It is the policy of the United States to work with regional governments toward a comprehensive and lasting resolution to the conflict in northern Uganda and other affected areas by--

(1) providing political, economic, military, and intelligence support for viable multilateral efforts to protect civilians from the Lord’s Resistance Army,

flightlesskiwi
10-14-2011, 01:49 PM

thanks for the link. i figured as much.

bastards.

youngbuck
10-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I think I got it: Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya, and now Uganda

Edit: It's actually worse than that. From the article, "Subject to host nation approval, the U.S. forces are to deploy into Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Obama wrote."

Sudan is one of those strategic countries that we are to take over (along with Iran, Syria, etc.). All of this is probably just connected to that racket.

flightlesskiwi
10-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Sudan is one of those strategic countries that we are to take over (along with Iran, Syria, etc.). All of this is probably just connected to that racket.

i don't much care for Clark, but i'm coming to the conclusion he's telling the truth here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0Rq74tCsM

Keith and stuff
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM

So the US Congress actually authorized US participation in this war? Cosponsorship in the US Senate was pretty broad and bi-partisan.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.1067:#

Sponsor: Sen Feingold, Russell D. [WI] (introduced 5/19/2009) Cosponsors (64)
Related Bills: H.R.2478
Latest Major Action: Became Public Law No: 111-172 [GPO: Text, PDF]
Senate Reports: 111-108 COSPONSORS(64), ALPHABETICAL [followed by Cosponsors withdrawn]: (Sort: by date)

Sen Alexander, Lamar [TN] - 12/14/2009
Sen Barrasso, John [WY] - 2/2/2010
Sen Baucus, Max [MT] - 3/1/2010
Sen Begich, Mark [AK] - 11/17/2009
Sen Bennet, Michael F. [CO] - 3/10/2010
Sen Bennett, Robert F. [UT] - 7/13/2009
Sen Bingaman, Jeff [NM] - 6/22/2009
Sen Bond, Christopher S. [MO] - 7/6/2009
Sen Boxer, Barbara [CA] - 6/22/2009
Sen Brown, Sherrod [OH] - 6/2/2009
Sen Brownback, Sam [KS] - 5/19/2009
Sen Burris, Roland [IL] - 6/4/2009
Sen Cantwell, Maria [WA] - 6/23/2009
Sen Cardin, Benjamin L. [MD] - 6/3/2009
Sen Casey, Robert P., Jr. [PA] - 6/11/2009
Sen Collins, Susan M. [ME] - 12/10/2009
Sen Corker, Bob [TN] - 11/16/2009
Sen Cornyn, John [TX] - 1/28/2010
Sen Dodd, Christopher J. [CT] - 2/1/2010
Sen Dorgan, Byron L. [ND] - 11/20/2009
Sen Durbin, Richard [IL] - 11/18/2009
Sen Enzi, Michael B. [WY] - 1/28/2010
Sen Franken, Al [MN] - 12/1/2009
Sen Gillibrand, Kirsten E. [NY] - 11/5/2009
Sen Grassley, Chuck [IA] - 1/29/2010
Sen Hagan, Kay [NC] - 12/14/2009
Sen Harkin, Tom [IA] - 11/30/2009
Sen Hatch, Orrin G. [UT] - 1/28/2010
Sen Inhofe, James M. [OK] - 11/17/2009
Sen Inouye, Daniel K. [HI] - 12/17/2009
Sen Isakson, Johnny [GA] - 2/2/2010
Sen Johnson, Tim [SD] - 11/20/2009
Sen Kaufman, Edward E. [DE] - 6/23/2009
Sen Kerry, John F. [MA] - 11/19/2009
Sen Klobuchar, Amy [MN] - 11/30/2009
Sen Kyl, Jon [AZ] - 1/20/2010
Sen Landrieu, Mary L. [LA] - 6/23/2009
Sen Lautenberg, Frank R. [NJ] - 7/6/2009
Sen Leahy, Patrick J. [VT] - 12/3/2009
Sen Levin, Carl [MI] - 7/6/2009
Sen Lieberman, Joseph I. [CT] - 6/4/2009
Sen Lincoln, Blanche L. [AR] - 2/22/2010
Sen Menendez, Robert [NJ] - 11/9/2009
Sen Merkley, Jeff [OR] - 7/13/2009
Sen Mikulski, Barbara A. [MD] - 6/24/2009
Sen Murkowski, Lisa [AK] - 1/29/2010
Sen Murray, Patty [WA] - 11/18/2009
Sen Pryor, Mark L. [AR] - 2/2/2010
Sen Reed, Jack [RI] - 12/15/2009
Sen Reid, Harry [NV] - 11/18/2009
Sen Risch, James E. [ID] - 11/19/2009
Sen Roberts, Pat [KS] - 7/22/2009
Sen Rockefeller, John D., IV [WV] - 2/22/2010
Sen Sanders, Bernard [VT] - 10/5/2009
Sen Schumer, Charles E. [NY] - 7/15/2009
Sen Sessions, Jeff [AL] - 2/2/2010
Sen Shaheen, Jeanne [NH] - 7/16/2009
Sen Specter, Arlen [PA] - 6/18/2009
Sen Tester, Jon [MT] - 10/7/2009
Sen Udall, Mark [CO] - 1/20/2010
Sen Udall, Tom [NM] - 1/20/2010
Sen Whitehouse, Sheldon [RI] - 7/6/2009
Sen Wicker, Roger F. [MS] - 11/19/2009
Sen Wyden, Ron [OR] - 7/6/2009
Sen Feinstein, Dianne [CA] - 12/11/2009(withdrawn - 12/16/2009)

flightlesskiwi
10-14-2011, 02:28 PM
hey, yall... found this interesting link:

http://www.afrol.com/articles/21834

Uganda becomes oil producer

President Yoweri Museveni examines an oil sample

President Yoweri Museveni examines a sample of oil extracted from Waraga-1
© afrol News / Uganda govt
afrol News, 9 October - After years of painstaking exploration, Ugandans heard what they have been longing to hear - the discovery of oil in their country. The country's President, Yoweri Museveni, made the announcement at a national thanks-giving service for the discovery of oil this weekend in Ugandan capital Kampala. Commercial production should start in 2009, says President Museveni.

The elated President said Uganda's search for oil, which cost companies at least US$ 70 million, started in the country's western regions, with the oil blocks of Waranga 1, Waranga 2 and Mputa in 1989. An Australian oil exploration company, Hardman Resources Ltd, made the discoveries in June this year but the government was waiting for a fitting day to make the news public to its citizens.

Hardman is operator and holds a 50 percent interest in Block 2, which is located in the northwest of the country and covers the northern part of Lake Albert and the surrounding onshore area. The most recent discovery, Waraga, is similar to the original discovery well Mputa, in that it has essentially three zones of oil bearing sands, according to the company.

The Waraga oil in all zones is believed to be of good quality. "This is an encouraging sign from both a reservoir flowing point of view as well as commercial standpoint where the crude may need minimal refining," Hardman notes, indicating that President Museveni's announcements are in tune with the oil company's predictions.

Mr Museveni said, soon his government would begin production and start building an oil refinery. Describing oil as a blessing for Uganda, President Museveni pledged to use the resource to fund development in the country. The Ugandan President said he expected production to begin in 2009, with initial production of 6,000 to 10, 000 barrels a day. This latest development may soon put Uganda among Africa's oil producing nations, chief among them Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea, Angola and Libya.

But President Museveni's speech fall short of disclosing how the oil will be produced or how the oil, how the oil fields will be put up for bidding or whether the government itself will do the exploration. He merely said Uganda has studied various oil production contracts around the world. He dismissed claims by some opposition politicians that oil could turn into a curse and lead to wars, as it had happened in other African countries.

President Museveni thanked God for at last turning successive layers of buried vegetation into crude petroleum of good quality. "Secondly, we thank God that he has given us the wisdom and foresight to develop the capacity to discover this oil while all the previous efforts had failed," he told his audience.

He said soon after he took over the government in 1986, he came in contact with the story of Albertine oil when a group of people representing Shell BP and Exxon wanted to be given oil exploration rights over the whole of Lake Albert.

"I later called in the civil servants and mining scientists first, led by Mrs Janet Opio, who was the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Water, Lands and Mineral Resources. I inquired from these civil servants whether there were people, in the whole of the Ugandan system, that were knowledgeable about petroleum. They told me that there was a petroleum 'expert' in the Bank of Uganda," he said.

"I requested them to bring me that 'expert'. The 'expert' came one evening. First of all, he was not a Ugandan; he was a Ghanaian; and, most amazingly, he was not even a scientist at all! He was an economist who worked in Bank of Uganda on import papers dealing with petroleum products," the Ugandan President told his amazed listeners.

He said as a result he refused to sign an agreement with Shell BP and Exxon because "I had nobody in Uganda knowledgeable on petroleum issues and I did not want to sell Ugandan interest at all." President Museveni went on saying his government was forced to send two young Ugandans to study first degrees in geology, physics or chemistry so that they could study masters in petroleum science abroad.

"Today, a core team of 25 professionals, 20 of them with Masters of Science degrees in these fields, has been put in place. It is this team that drafted our policy on petroleum exploration; did the aero-magnetic studies, using air-crafts that had started in 1982; did the seismological studies, based on land; as well as conducting some of the informed negotiations with the foreign oil companies," Mr Museveni boasts.

After an initial period of five years of training and capacity building, Mr Museveni said, the petroleum unit has been transformed into a department of petroleum exploration and production equipped with sophisticated equipment. The Ugandan president said after fifteen years of hard work, his government has now discovered "petroleum of good quality".

He added that the high oil prices on the world market couple with the erratic water levels on Lake Victoria, the Ugandan government has opted to pursue an Early Oil Production Scheme, which will involve setting up a mini-refinery to process a moderate amount of crude oil in order to produce diesel, kerosene and heavy fuel oil as well as develop a heavy fuel oil-based power plant to generate electricity.

He therefore urged Ugandans who panic about electricity to calm down. Uganda at the moment is consuming over 10,000 barrels of oil everyday and the import bill for its petroleum products stands over US$ 400,000 per year, Mr Museveni said while exploration continues, commercial production would start in mid-2009.

"Apart from discovering the oil underground, Uganda also has the capacity to produce bio-diesel - diesel from plants such as Jatropha (ekiroowa, etc) and Pongomia Pinnata (proposed to be imported from India). Some companies from Asia are ready to move in immediately. Government will establish joint ventures with some of them. In addition, of course, we are continuing with our plans to build Bujagali, Karuma, Ayago, etc. Therefore, the problem of shortage of energy, an unnecessary mistake in the first place, is on the way out."

A Ministry of Energy official in Uganda, Thomas Male, was quoted as saying that the three discovered fields in western Uganda have reserves of between 100 million and 300 million barrels. According to ‘Associated Press’, nor sooner than the discovery of oil was rumoured than wealthy Ugandans started scrambling to buy land in areas where exploration of oil is taking place.

nobody's_hero
10-14-2011, 03:14 PM
get ready for the drones!!

The drones got infected with a virus so they say. Clearly this is just an excuse to work out the kinks in the skies above a country full of black people. Yes, I said it: Obama is a racist.

"Sir we had another misfire, and I think we just wiped out some children in a market."

"Report it to the programmers, son. Good job."

bill1971
10-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I disagree with this move speaking logically and from the constitution. However, I wish someone could help those people, its horrible what they go through. Maybe private mercs?

flightlesskiwi
10-14-2011, 04:14 PM
The drones got infected with a virus so they say. Clearly this is just an excuse to work out the kinks in the skies above a country full of black people. Yes, I said it: Obama is a racist.

"Sir we had another misfire, and I think we just wiped out some children in a market."

"Report it to the programmers, son. Good job."

fwiw: the drones haven't stopped operations. that virus didn't shut down operations. they are still spying on and bombing brown people in afghanistan. note:

Now he and other members of the 147th are flying Predators in Afghanistan and Iraq, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Drones-in-Houston-help-troops-fight-Iraq-1695451.php

this article is from 2010, and nothing has changed. in fact, if you research wiki, you'll find that drone usage has increased.

Brian4Liberty
10-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Of course. Oil. Seems that the Oil companies are savings money on mercenaries, err, security, by having Obama (taxpayers) foot the bill using US military. Another backdoor corporate handout.

BlackTerrel
10-15-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree sending troops is not in our best interests but this is also a horrible conflict. My mom's Church was involved in bringing attention to this issue.

Anti Federalist
10-15-2011, 12:06 PM

Uganda becomes oil producer

Well, there's your answer.

Pericles
10-15-2011, 03:31 PM
I agree sending troops is not in our best interests but this is also a horrible conflict. My mom's Church was involved in bringing attention to this issue.

Even when it is helping liberty loving patriots to free their own land, I don't like the idea of the US Government being involved in the doings of other countries. I'd prefer a system of raising money to hire trainers as a private venture. IF I believed in the cause and the people wanting to learn, I would be part of a training cadre.

moderate libertarian
10-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Your mum's Church supports Lord's Resistence Army I assume? Or is it non-interventionist and opposed troops in Iraq as well?

From other thread:

Rush: Obama sending US troops to fight christian extremists in Africa

Cool thing about Rush is that he puts transcripts online, this is the exchnage I had caught on radio:

CALLER: Yes, exactly.

RUSH: -- no question. How do you feel about the news? I want to go back, your extensive military background, how do you react to the news that Obama has dispatched a hundred soldiers to fight radical Christians in Africa?

CALLER: That's amazing. I can't believe he's doing that.

RUSH: You can't?

CALLER: You know, Rush, our parents, my mum and dad both served in World War II.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2011/10/14/obama_invades_uganda_targets_christians

I found the answer in earlier part of the transcript:

Obama Invades Uganda, Targets Christians
October 14, 2011

All Audio & Video » BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: President Obama has deployed troops to another war, in Africa, ladies and gentlemen. Jacob Tapper, ABC News, is reporting that Obama has sent 100 US troops to Uganda to help combat Lord's Resistance Army. Tapper reporting today: "Two days ago President Obama authorized the deployment to Uganda of approximately 100 combat-equipped U.S. forces to help regional forces 'remove from the battlefield' -- meaning capture or kill -- Lord’s Resistance Army leader Joseph Kony and senior leaders of the LRA." I wonder how the Wall Street crowd is gonna react when they find out that Obama has sent troops to another war? "Mr. Limbaugh, it's just 100 peacekeepers." Yep, yep, yep, that's how Libya started, and, by the way, there's no end in sight for Libya.

Lord's Resistance Army objectives. I have them here. "To remove dictatorship and stop the oppression of our people." Now, again Lord's Resistance Army is who Obama sent troops to help nations wipe out. The objectives of the Lord's Resistance Army, what they're trying to accomplish with their military action in these countries is the following: "To remove dictatorship and stop the oppression of our people; to fight for the immediate restoration of the competitive multiparty democracy in Uganda; to see an end to gross violation of human rights and dignity of Ugandans; to ensure the restoration of peace and security in Uganda, to ensure unity, sovereignty, and economic prosperity beneficial to all Ugandans, and to bring to an end the repressive policy of deliberate marginalization of groups of people who may not agree with the LRA ideology." Those are the objectives of the group that we are fighting, or who are being fought and we are joining in the effort to remove them from the battlefield.

Feeding the Abscess
10-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Was Ron in the House Chamber the day it was passed by unanimous voice vote?

Brian4Liberty
10-15-2011, 03:57 PM

All conflicts are horrible. I am highly skeptical of propaganda that completely demonizes one side or another. Such as the infamous "Iraqi soldiers went into hospitals and threw babies on the floor" testimony from the daughter of a Kuwaiti diplomat.

ExPatPaki
10-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. It means God. I was only kidding. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them. That's what the lingo means, "to help regional forces remove from the battlefield," meaning capture or kill.

It's quite amazing how ignorant Rush is. The LRA is not fighting Muslims, in fact most of the LRA's victims have been Christians. The LRA is actually allied with the Muslim government in Khartoum.

CaptainAmerica
10-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Here you go, Congress authorized the use of Military force. Pretty sneaky. This stuff is stranger than fiction.

Vessol
10-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Now the forces of Imperial America are now in Uganda?
So now the United States is involved in SEVEN wars: Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Libya, Somalia and now Uganda.

FUCK YEAH!

BlackTerrel
10-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Your mum's Church supports Lord's Resistence Army I assume? Or is it non-interventionist and opposed troops in Iraq as well?

From other thread:

Rush: Obama sending US troops to fight christian extremists in Africa

Cool thing about Rush is that he puts transcripts online, this is the exchnage I had caught on radio:

CALLER: Yes, exactly.

RUSH: -- no question. How do you feel about the news? I want to go back, your extensive military background, how do you react to the news that Obama has dispatched a hundred soldiers to fight radical Christians in Africa?

No she definitely doesn't support the LRA. Rush Limbaugh is an idiot... as usual.

Brian4Liberty
10-15-2011, 11:46 PM
FUCK YEAH!

"Coming again to save the mutherfr**ckn' day yeah!"

Brian4Liberty
10-15-2011, 11:47 PM
It's quite amazing how ignorant Rush is. The LRA is not fighting Muslims, in fact most of the LRA's victims have been Christians. The LRA is actually allied with the Muslim government in Khartoum.

And who are the Oil companies allied with?

oyarde
10-17-2011, 11:03 AM

http://www.afrol.com/articles/21834 There are large quatities of untapped copper , oil & gas in Uganda.

moostraks
10-17-2011, 12:40 PM
There are large quatities of untapped copper , oil & gas in Uganda.

hmmm also a source for uranium.

oyarde
10-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Now the forces of Imperial America are now in Uganda?
So now the United States is involved in SEVEN wars: Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Libya, Somalia and now Uganda.

FUCK YEAH! You just forgot South Sudan , Khartoum & Republic of Congo .

ZanZibar
03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X--fBS4Gqn8&feature=uploademail

nbhadja
03-11-2012, 06:14 PM
FAKE FAKE FAKE Kony has not been seen since 2006. This is pure BS and just an excuse for America to put troops in Africa to protect corporate interests.