PDA

View Full Version : [MISES] Strong Correlations Between Larger Government and Higher Homicide Rates

Sentient Void
10-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Seems we've got some pretty strong correlations between larger government size and higher homicide rates....

The color of Somalia is also of particular note... No offense 'move to Somalia' people?

Seems the idea that government exists to reduce crime isn't illustrated here...

Remember - an expropriating property protector is a contradiction in terms...

http://wp.mises.org/blog/20111008_WOM936_0.gif

Read the article here:
http://blog.mises.org/18700/the-economist-on-homicide-rates/

jtstellar
10-13-2011, 02:48 PM
good post

im not sure bout china.. statistics fudge much?

bwlibertyman
10-13-2011, 02:56 PM
isn't this showing the opposite? it looks like big government such as China, us, Europe have low murder rates. small government places like Africa have high murder rates. mises said big government meant higher murder rates. am I reading that's right?

Cutlerzzz
10-13-2011, 03:00 PM
isn't this showing the opposite? it looks like big government such as China, us, Europe have low murder rates. small government places like Africa have high murder rates. mises said big government meant higher murder rates. am I reading that's right?Africa? Small government?

Rothbardian Girl
10-13-2011, 03:23 PM
isn't this showing the opposite? it looks like big government such as China, us, Europe have low murder rates. small government places like Africa have high murder rates. mises said big government meant higher murder rates. am I reading that's right?
I am puzzled by Europe's relatively low rates as well, if we are going by the size of government. Germany has a craptastic welfare state, yet its murder rate is apparently relatively low... and Greenland's status also puzzles me. It's an interesting map, but there are some inconsistencies.

isrow
10-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Guns, Germs and Steel deals with some of the possibilities why these places have higher homicide, death, infant mortlity, etc. It doesn't all have to do with gov't per se, just opportunities which allow civilization to flourish or fracture.

Diurdi
10-13-2011, 04:04 PM
The mises article isn't really linking the best pic.

You need to actually read the study. It pretty much confirms that High Economic Freedom correlates with Low Homicide Rates.

Rothbardian Girl
10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
The mises article isn't really linking the best pic.

You need to actually read the study. It pretty much confirms that High Economic Freedom correlates with Low Homicide Rates.

That is pretty much the conclusion I reached as well, after thinking about it a lot. I didn't actually read the article because I was too lazy to click on the link :p, but I was looking at the map for quite a while and came up with the same conclusion. It is interesting to note, however, that crime overall is more prevalent in more advanced societies due to a number of factors, one of them being increased economic "freedom" (not liberty as I understand it, which would come about through the things that Ron Paul and the Austrian economists discuss). I don't want to get into a long-winded explanation, so I'll just leave it at this for now unless someone asks.