PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a RP commercial that will appeal to viewers across all demographics. "Home Made"

freejack
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM
As someone who has a bit of experience making videos both for tv and as a hobby, I've spent a lot of time thinking about ideas for a commercial which can be both heart-warming and at the same time work to dispel the notion that he is a fringe candidate with crazy supporters. My idea is unconventional in that it does not directly promote Ron's ideas. There is no one talking. There is no politics. It's a simple portrait of a family working on something they believe in.

Please take a few moments to read over the script and share your thoughts. Mods, if you don't think this doesn't belong here please move it.

----------------------------

Title: “Home Made”

30 second tv spot. Should be shot with a camera that can provide a very narrow DOF (depth-of-field) like the Canon 5D Mark II. Most shots will be slowed to 60-70% of original speed.

Slow emotional piano music starts playing (like the piano theme for LOST).
Man wakes up next to his wife who’s arms are around him. He gently moves her arm aside and gets up.
Walks past kids room. Kids (boy and girl. young around 5-10yo) are still asleep.
He grabs a cup of coffee, walks outside to the garage and starts working on a wooden structure.
He’s sawing a piece of wood.
Kids are awakened by the commotion outside.
They run out in their pajamas. Dad waves to them.
Wife wakes up and looks out the window.
Daughter is running around while dad works.
Son helps dad with the hammering.
Mom calls everyone in for breakfast.
Around the dinner table everyone is talking and laughing.
Dad gets up. Goes back to work outside.
Closeup of daughter resting her arms on the worktable with her head on her arms watching as dad is working, her big eyes looking curiously.
Dad is spray painting the structure.
Dad hammers last nail into structure.
Lifts structure up with son. First shot will be from the back of father/son as they lift, then the back of the structure as it rises, then from the side.
Closeup profile shot of son, daughter looking at the structure. Daughter has big smile on her face. Dad puts pats son on the head.
Shot from behind the four family members as they look at the large 10' x 4' sign that they've just made, slowly panning across horizontally.
The sign reads: “Ron Paul 2012”.
Fades to black as the piano tune ends.
Fade in official "Ron Paul: Restore America Now" logo.

freejack
10-13-2011, 01:10 PM
First and last bump. If I don't get any feedback I guess I'll go ahead and try to make a demo version with my own family and send it as a proposal to the campaign.

LawnWake
10-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Actually, this is pretty good, but seeing as the media blacks out Ron Paul's message, I think it's for the best to actually stick to Ron Paul's ideas, get them out as much as we can without spin. Which is what our current ads are pretty good for. This type of ad would've been better if Paul was more established.

SilentBull
10-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Love the idea! It's emotional and it associates Ron Paul with regular families. This is the kind of stuff companies do to sell their products. It works.

RonPaul101.com
10-13-2011, 02:01 PM
I think its worthy enough of a concept to try the demo. Commercials can play very differently then a script is read, so it could be awesome or it could be awkward. The idea seems good enough to try though, IMHO. Good job. If you have a demo, post it out here and then ask for feedback again, you'll get more.

I wanted a commercial featuring all young kids around those cute ages where they can't promounce big words (4-6 year olds). The kids then ask their parents and grandparents for "a chance to growup and have a career" then show a clip of RP warning of the coming economic collapse back in 02, and next another kid says, "I want a chance to have my own home" and show foreclosure signs, etc.,. another kid, "I want a chance to live in peace" and show a war scene, and lastly a kid saying, "I want to be told the truth" and show Mitt Romney flip flopping on {take your pick}. Then end with a scene of Ron Paul talking about the way we restore America is to get out of war and use that savings here in America. And the kids all walk in and say together, "For the kids... the grandkids... the future... Ron Paul."

freejack
10-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

There's also the subtle metaphor of a family (Americans) working hard to build something they believe in (America) but that'll probably be lost on most people ;)

Gonna see if I can get this filmed and edited over the weekend.

freejack
10-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I wanted a commercial featuring all young kids around those cute ages where they can't promounce big words (4-6 year olds). The kids then ask their parents and grandparents for "a chance to growup and have a career" then show a clip of RP warning of the coming economic collapse back in 02, and next another kid says, "I want a chance to have my own home" and show foreclosure signs, etc.,. another kid, "I want a chance to live in peace" and show a war scene, and lastly a kid saying, "I want to be told the truth" and show Mitt Romney flip flopping on {take your pick}. Then end with a scene of Ron Paul talking about the way we restore America is to get out of war and use that savings here in America. And the kids all walk in and say together, "For the kids... the grandkids... the future... Ron Paul."

This could be very powerful too and easily doable if we can find the kids. Hardest part would be directing them. They NEVER do what you want at that age. The only thing I would change is to not have them speak all together at the end. They can each say a part of the sentence and then end with the campaign logo.

dbill27
10-13-2011, 03:12 PM
I like the idea of an ad which flashes to some of the insanely dumb things John Mcain said about economics during his 08 run and then the caption "Don't make the same mistake again" while flashing to Romney then the subtle RON PAUL 2012

RIPLEYMOM
10-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Love it! Gave me chills at the end.

What do you think about the commercial starting in black and white, or sepeotone (sp?), then, at the moment you see the Ron Paul sign, it changes to color? Might be symbolic of many things, I think.

This screams Americana!

JamesButabi
10-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I like it. I think you should give it a shot.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I personally love it, but I'm trying to imagine what I would think through a non-paul supporter's eyes. They've heard politicians speak on family values and hard work before, and I don't think this would work as admirably as it would on me, especially nowadays.

Perhaps there is a way to get people to understand the truth, while still using your concept.

roversaurus
10-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I like all three ideas here.
The family building a sign
The one with the kids does sound good (and I like the correction of not having them all say the line together. Nobody likes little robots)
I like the idea of "Don't make the same mistake again" That's a great one.