PDA

View Full Version : new south park referencing ron paul?

Shane Harris
10-12-2011, 08:21 PM
border patrol keeping mexicans from crossing border back in to mexico? fences to keep us out anyone?

trey4sports
10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
maybe some inspiration from Ron.

beardedlinen
10-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Hehe. Gonna have to wait and DL the episode. The last one was wonderful.

Also, anyone feel like creating a money bomb for me to get a ticket to go see The Book Of Mormon? 800 bucks should be good for a nice seat. :p

Shane Harris
10-12-2011, 08:28 PM
yeah its hilarious. we realize we need them so we dont want them to leave. haha "when we said we wanted obama to stop illegal immigrants, we didnt mean to make the us so shitty they wouldnt want to come anymore" haha

amy31416
10-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Both Trey and Matt are alleged libertarians, so I guess it's possible.

dan5430
10-12-2011, 08:52 PM
They just tell it like it is

The Midnight Ride
10-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Both Trey and Matt are alleged libertarians, so I guess it's possible.

The 60 Minutes interview the other week classified Matt and Trey as libertarians. There are some old quotes attributed to them as well that support it. There are many themes in South Park which mimic libertarian politics. I began to follow South Park for that reason (and it is hilarious), long before I actually knew that there was an ideology named "libertarian" or self-identified as one.

Napolitanic Wars
10-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Beware of anyone mainstream who claims to be libertarian. Bill Maher, Glenn Beck, anyone?

libertybrewcity
10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
I wish they actually had an episode with RP making him look awesome:)

culvereric
10-12-2011, 09:58 PM
I am a long time fan of South Park. After knowing Matt and Trey are libertarians I would not be surprised if this was somewhat based on something Ron said. This will be one of my favorite episodes for a long time.

Johncjackson
10-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Beware of anyone mainstream who claims to be libertarian. Bill Maher, Glenn Beck, anyone?

They've been saying it for a long time, and they have made no major statements that contradict that or would instigate their purge by the libertarian purity police.

Feeding the Abscess
10-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Trey Parker voted for Ron in 1988

Jingles
10-12-2011, 10:14 PM
They are really good friends with Penn Jillette as well to add to what everyone else has said. Matt and Trey are not liars/fake libertarians.

PaulConventionWV
10-12-2011, 10:16 PM
The 60 Minutes interview the other week classified Matt and Trey as libertarians. There are some old quotes attributed to them as well that support it. There are many themes in South Park which mimic libertarian politics. I began to follow South Park for that reason (and it is hilarious), long before I actually knew that there was an ideology named "libertarian" or self-identified as one.

One of the episodes follows the Keynesian economics model. It shows Kyle as the sensible "heretic" who is telling people to spend more to boost the economy. I hate to say it, but people buy that shit hook line and sinker.

I'm not convinced they are libertarians. Anyone know the episode I'm talking about?

The Midnight Ride
10-12-2011, 10:17 PM

I don't think we need to question them that hard. I know Parker has ripped the false Right-Left Paradigm claiming they are the same person (sound familiar?) and has spoken out against the War in Iraq, the War on Drugs, and mandates.

See this interview with Reason: http://reason.com/archives/2006/12/05/south-park-libertarians/1

dan5430
10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
One of the episodes follows the Keynesian economics model. It shows Kyle as the sensible "heretic" who is telling people to spend more to boost the economy. I hate to say it, but people buy that shit hook line and sinker.

I'm not convinced they are libertarians. Anyone know the episode I'm talking about?

I know which one you're talking about....I think they kept him in that role to play on the whole jewish kid preaching and then he "sacrificed" himself so everyone could spend. Playing on religion and Jesus like they always do.

They were making jokes on how easy it is to spend. In the episode the kid (Kyle) got a NO LIMIT American Express Card to pay everyone else's credit card debt. Another stab on how people use credit cards to pay off credit cards.....

The Midnight Ride
10-12-2011, 10:31 PM
I know which one you're talking about....I think they kept him in that role to play on the whole jewish kid preaching and then he "sacrificed" himself so everyone could spend. Playing on religion and Jesus like they always do.

They were making jokes on how easy it is to spend. In the episode the kid (Kyle) got a NO LIMIT American Express Card to pay everyone else's credit card debt. Another stab on how people use credit cards to pay off credit cards.....

I remember the episode. It was a complete mocking of a Krugman-esqe argument. Some of their themes are more subtle, but they certainly throw in libertarian politics into their episodes (see the Rob Riner episode after California enacted their smoking ban as an example).

dan5430
10-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I think with them being from Colorado and meeting in Boulder they just see through bullshit and have a strong sense of individuality. They never promote "group think" and always attack people who use power as means to coerce others into following their own agendas

dan5430
10-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Boulder is full of so many college know it all hippies....lol

Shane Harris
10-12-2011, 11:10 PM
i love south park. def a lot of libertarian leaning messages.

RideTheDirt
10-12-2011, 11:29 PM
came just to post about this

Verrater
10-12-2011, 11:55 PM
came just to post about this

same here lol

dan5430
10-12-2011, 11:59 PM
I think one thing we're missing in this thread is the way they showed how majority of people interact & relate with migrant workers when the couple runs over and picks up Butters (Mantequilla LOL) and give him presents such as a Leaf Blower, teach him how to wash windows, clean dishes and then they drop him off at a Pollo Loco. Then they go inside the Pollo Loco and it's all migrant workers inside. Like a huge majority of restaurants and service sector industry....

enoch150
10-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Matt and Trey are not liars/fake libertarians.

No, but they do fake being Republican.

"We used to have a great time going to Hollywood parties and saying 'I think George Bush is doing a great job.' We'd clear out the room. I used to love it." - Trey Parker

Shane Harris
10-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I think one thing we're missing in this thread is the way they showed how majority of people interact & relate with migrant workers when the couple runs over and picks up Butters (Mantequilla LOL) and give him presents such as a Leaf Blower, teach him how to wash windows, clean dishes and then they drop him off at a Pollo Loco. Then they go inside the Pollo Loco and it's all migrant workers inside. Like a huge majority of restaurants and service sector industry....

exactly its perfect satire. we hate all the immagrants yet when they leave everyones like ...wait! no come back. hahaha i laughed so hard when they used the soundbyte from star wars (darth vaders hilarious NOOOOOOO) for randy when he opened his door and his front yard was covered with leaves haha

gls
10-13-2011, 11:39 AM
I can't believe they're still making new South Park episodes. This show was on when I was in 5th grade and I'm 28 now.

Keith and stuff
10-13-2011, 12:45 PM
This is the 2nd week in a row where the episode references the GOP primary debates. I'm pretty impressed.

osan
10-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Beware of anyone mainstream who claims to be libertarian. Bill Maher, Glenn Beck, anyone? Maher claims to be LIBERTARIAN?!! The man is a raving Marxist stooge. You cannot be serious.

dannno
10-13-2011, 01:09 PM

Awesome.

osan
10-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Boulder is full of so many college know it all hippies....lol

Ever been? Going to Boulder is like falling down a hole that dumps you back into the early 70s. Hippie remnants everywhere. Revolting, actually, but I do not have to live there.

dannno
10-13-2011, 01:11 PM
No, but they do fake being Republican.

"We used to have a great time going to Hollywood parties and saying 'I think George Bush is doing a great job.' We'd clear out the room. I used to love it." - Trey Parker

LOL!!

These are the guys who made the show "That's My Bush!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ydm00G04Zo

Wesker1982
10-13-2011, 01:15 PM

Sweet. Source?

Feeding the Abscess
10-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Sweet. Source?

The two links I have bookmarked (they were interviews with Trey Parker) are now dead. Can't find any reference of it on a Google search, either. Looks like it went down the memory hole.