PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed Romney's 'expression of curiosity' whenever Paul speaks?

Patriot123
10-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Honestly, am I the only one? Just watch these two clips, and wait for Romney's expression:

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1213405830001/a-ron-paul-revolution/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_ERBqQII4&feature=player_embedded

Romney always, always has this look of curiosity on his face. I can only imagine what he must be thinking -- like "wow, I shouldn't be taking this guy seriously, but holy crap, he's making an awful lot of sense." Thoughts? I really want to know what he's thinking, lol.

CaptUSA
10-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Really? I get the sense of incredulousness.

archangel689
10-12-2011, 12:44 PM
My gut tells me its something a body language coach told him to do. Why, I don't know. But I'm certain there's a lot of that going on. You know people are consciously altering their body language because it will look stronger and more exaggerated and deliberate to me. I see this a lot with facial expressions during the debates especially with the two clowns who are usually positioned center stage.

Shit like that throws immediate red flags when I see it in any aspect of my life, but that's since I've studied such things to the point where I recognize them. STUPID people do not see them though...while more intelligent people will just find it awkward.

Watch the debate drunk. You'll see all the exaggerated and deliberate actions.

sailingaway
10-12-2011, 12:47 PM
He does that for everyone. I just read an article saying the guy thought Romney would be the nominee, but that that would be a problem because no one can believe what he says. The author said it wasn't just his flip flopping on positions but the fact that he looks and comes across as a TV anchorman and gives the impression he is 'credibly' delivering lines someone else wrote for him.

He has that same look of deep, quizzical interest whenever any of the other candidates speak.

freejack
10-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Looks like constipation to me.

trey4sports
10-12-2011, 12:52 PM
yeah, what sailing said. It's interesting though..... he was talking to Ron when the camera was panning out for breaks last night...... wonder what that was about?

From a body language sense, it's really a powerful (bordering on condescending) position. It is arrogant yet many would say it is presidential.

Maximus
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
It is designed to make Paul look "kooky" or whatever

Cabal
10-12-2011, 12:59 PM
He does that for everyone. I just read an article saying the guy thought Romney would be the nominee, but that that would be a problem because no one can believe what he says. The author said it wasn't just his flip flopping on positions but the fact that he looks and comes across as a TV anchorman and gives the impression he is 'credibly' delivering lines someone else wrote for him.

He has that same look of deep, quizzical interest whenever any of the other candidates speak.

This. The only other option would be that he's dumbfounded by Paul's superior intellect.

PauliticsPolitics
10-12-2011, 01:01 PM
yeah, what sailing said. It's interesting though..... he was talking to Ron when the camera was panning out for breaks last night...... wonder what that was about?

From a body language sense, it's really a powerful (bordering on condescending) position. It is arrogant yet many would say it is presidential.

Yea, it reminds me of Obama's debate facade: Act interested but cocky and above it all. So if the TV viewer agrees with the opposing candidate, they will see Romney as someone who is engaged in the commentary, possibly appreciating the opposing candidate's point. At the same time, if the TV viewer happens to disagrees with the opposing candidate's remarks, they will see the cocky-side of Romney's body language: a sign that he is above whatever the other candidate is saying. The goal is a win-win visual for Romney while other's talk. I personally think it adds to his robot-vibe, but it must have some merit. The OP is a good example of someone who noticed Romney's body language mostly when his candidate (RP) was speaking, and the OP saw the potentially positive interpretation of Romney's look.
I'm sure Romney has like 7 coaches to work this all out.

realtonygoodwin
10-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I've seen pictures where they are hanging out backstage pre-debate. I think they get along well, you never see them go after each other. In 2008, the other candidates were very disrespectful toward Romney (behind the scenes). I don't know for sure, but I have the feeling Ron wasn't involved in that. I think he has a respect for Ron Paul, mostly because of their shared experience as outsiders in the 2008 campaign. If Romney were to be the nominee, I would not be surprised to see him pick Rand Paul to be his running mate.

sailingaway
10-12-2011, 01:22 PM
I've seen pictures where they are hanging out backstage pre-debate. I think they get along well, you never see them go after each other. In 2008, the other candidates were very disrespectful toward Romney (behind the scenes). I don't know for sure, but I have the feeling Ron wasn't involved in that. I think he has a respect for Ron Paul, mostly because of their shared experience as outsiders in the 2008 campaign. If Romney were to be the nominee, I would not be surprised to see him pick Rand Paul to be his running mate.

I don't see where Romney was an outsider in the 2008 debate, but I could see Romney wanting Rand, for sure.

archangel689
10-12-2011, 01:27 PM
I would not be surprised to see him pick Rand Paul to be his running mate.

Pipe dream. They won't give up that kind of power.

realtonygoodwin
10-12-2011, 01:27 PM
The candidates lined up at the urinals, Giuliani next to McCain next to Huckabee, the rest all in a row. The debate was soon to start, so they were taking care of business-and laughing merrily at the one guy who wasn't there. Poking fun at him, mocking him, agreeing about how much they disliked him. The Willard Mitt Romney walked into the bathroom and overheard them, bringing on a crashing silence.

From Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime.

ctiger2
10-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Romnoid should ADORE Paul. Paul recently stood up for his religion NOT being a cult.

donnay
10-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Honestly, am I the only one? Just watch these two clips, and wait for Romney's expression:

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1213405830001/a-ron-paul-revolution/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_ERBqQII4&feature=player_embedded

Romney always, always has this look of curiosity on his face. I can only imagine what he must be thinking -- like "wow, I shouldn't be taking this guy seriously, but holy crap, he's making an awful lot of sense." Thoughts? I really want to know what he's thinking, lol.

Hmm...I just assumed he was constipated.

TexMac
10-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I bet Romney spends HOURS in front of a mirror practicing exactly what expression he should wear in the debate.

Brian4Liberty
10-12-2011, 02:00 PM
This. The only other option would be that he's dumbfounded by Paul's superior intellect.

Rick Perry has cornered the market on the dumbfounded expression... ;)

unconsious767
10-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Yep I've noticed it. I'm sure it's some kind of debate tactic. It gives the viewer the (false) impression that he's someone who will carefully listen to what people have to say. He's attentive, engaged and assertive. <puke>

Shane Harris
10-12-2011, 02:20 PM
the only nice thing i will ever say about romney is he has a good sense of humor. i have noticed from the debates and also heard that he loves the big lebowski and often quotes it with his friends while on the campaign trail. fortunately i dont vote for haircuts or senses of humor

Shane Harris
10-12-2011, 02:22 PM
perry was absolutely hilarious in that debate. his overall lack of intelligence is so obvious at this point. hes just dumbfounded and lost. that D in economics was well earned.

enjerth
10-12-2011, 03:25 PM

I thought Romney's expression is exactly the same as my dad would have when I was talking to him and I was making absolutely no sense to him.

It's the "what the f$*& are you talking about, are you nuts?" expression.

I'm sure it's deliberate and may actually be a coached expression to discredit other candidates by posture and body language without saying anything.

Aratus
10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
we all are starting to mitt*watcher peak beneath the very careful facade?
welcome one and all to one of the bay state's better recreational sports!!!

Nickwanz
10-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Looks like constipation to me. Maybe its his wild card face!http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljinajjlwU1qakaqpo1_500.jpg

Johnnymac
10-12-2011, 05:35 PM
yea i think its the "you are such a kook" face

AdamT
10-12-2011, 05:38 PM
I've been noticing that since last election! I'm convinced he practices in the mirror and focus groups those expressions. Nothing he does is without the reason of fooling people in one way or another. I wouldn't be surprised if his facials are all part of the grand marketing plan.

Aratus
10-12-2011, 05:50 PM
!

we all are starting to mitt*watcher peak beneath the very careful facade?

welcome one and all to one of the bay state's better recreational sports!!!!

trey4sports
10-12-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't see where Romney was an outsider in the 2008 debate, but I could see Romney wanting Rand, for sure.

lol - you guys must have missed the jokes Rand was cracking about Mitt at the media dinner earlier this year. No way he goes for Rand though. Herman "i'm a douchebag not a politician, Cain" is who i think he'll pick.

Voluntary Man
10-12-2011, 06:18 PM
it's the "where will you be when your laxative starts to work" expression. Romney is full of it.

IterTemporis
10-12-2011, 06:37 PM
It is a smirk.

10-12-2011, 06:42 PM
He was likely taught to do that by a debate coach. It feigns interest. "I'm listening, but dismiss what you are saying"

Romney thinks he can just sit back and do nothing to get the nomination. Eventually when all the also rans are done, he will have to face Ron.