PDA

View Full Version : 10 Principles Of A Free Society by Ron Paul

Sola_Fide
10-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Reposted for awesomeness...:toady:

1. Rights belong to individuals, not groups; they derive from our nature and can neither be granted nor taken away by government.

2. All peaceful, voluntary economic and social associations are permitted; consent is the basis of the social and economic order.

3. Justly acquired property is privately owned by individuals and voluntary groups, and this ownership cannot be arbitrarily voided by governments.

4. Government may not redistribute private wealth or grant special privileges to any individual or group.

5. Individuals are responsible for their own actions; government cannot and should not protect us from ourselves.

6. Government may not claim the monopoly over a people's money and governments must never engage in official counterfeiting, even in the name of macroeconomic stability.

7. Aggressive wars, even when called preventative, and even when they pertain only to trade relations, are forbidden.

8. Jury nullification, that is, the right of jurors to judge the law as well as the facts, is a right of the people and the courtroom norm.

9. All forms of involuntary servitude are prohibited, not only slavery but also conscription, forced association, and forced welfare distribution.

10. Government must obey the law that it expects other people to obey and thereby must never use force to mold behavior, manipulate social outcomes, manage the economy, or tell other countries how to behave.

Sola_Fide
10-12-2011, 01:07 AM
(I have some slight disagreements with number 1, but other than that... they are great.)

bluesc
10-12-2011, 01:14 AM
(I have some slight disagreements with number 1, but other than that... they are great.)

I wonder in which way you disagree with number 1? Is it possible to disagree with number 1 while agreeing with number 4?

I agree with all of it. It all seems like common sense to me.

amy31416
10-12-2011, 01:14 AM

Only because you make a weird distinction between god and nature--if god exists, they are the same thing.

Sola_Fide
10-12-2011, 01:24 AM
I wonder in which way you disagree with number 1?

As a Christian, I believe rights are imputed, not natural. They are derived from the command of God, not derived from our nature.

For example, "You should not steal" presents the negative imputed right of private property. The right is derived from the command, not nature.

Some might say it is a slight disagreement, but the difference, to me, is the difference between a God-centered philosophy of life and a man-centered philosophy of life.

Is it possible to disagree with number 1 while agreeing with number 4?

Yes.

I agree with all of it. It all seems like common sense to me.

Sense isn't common man! :) Anyway, the Lockean natural rights idea has been ripped to shreds by many philosophers.

bluesc
10-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Didn't realize you disagreed on religious grounds :)

I'm gonna send this list around to some people, it can appeal to just about anyone.

Sola_Fide
10-12-2011, 01:40 AM
Didn't realize you disagreed on religious grounds :)

I'm gonna send this list around to some people, it can appeal to just about anyone.

Yes, I agree.