PDA

View Full Version : They can only process 200k per hour, there may be a lot more (as in 8+mil)

Apauled
11-05-2007, 06:44 PM
If you have noticed ( and I am sure the campaign will confess this tomorrow) There is only the capability of processing 200k per hour! take not of that this is significant. As I predicted (not to be cocky) I thought we would hit a minimum of 8mm.

Thanks,and don't taze me bro!

P.S. I saw a lot of people saying they did not recieve their donation response ASAP, nor did I but it came later today. I live in Florida and stayed up past midnight and was one of the first to bust the bubble. When I looked down it was 2,779,632. Believe me I document! God Bless

Nelson

kalami
11-05-2007, 06:46 PM
some of the graphs show that they can process over 200k/hour

troyd1
11-05-2007, 06:47 PM
I agree. I did a donation this morning and still have not received a response.

NewEnd
11-05-2007, 06:48 PM

I ttok mine about 6 hours, but it came.

theseus51
11-05-2007, 06:48 PM
That would explain the very linear graph . . .

FreedomLover
11-05-2007, 06:49 PM
How do you know it's not just the responses that are delayed?

Broadlighter
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I saw my donation right away.

BTW, does anyone know what RP started with today? Have we broken Romney's record?

orenbus
11-05-2007, 06:52 PM
http://www.ronpaulnation.com/tv.html#bernstein_glenn_gould

this is how I feel :D

kylejack
11-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Just donated, got immediate confirmation.

CJP
11-05-2007, 06:54 PM
There may be a limit to how many donations they can process per hour. The limit would most likely be credit card processing.

We will know after midnight. If the graphs keep going up way past midnight, they are processing the backlog. That would be an amazing encore for this historic day.

Perry
11-05-2007, 06:54 PM

BTW, does anyone know what RP started with today? Have we broken Romney's record?

We started with $2,779,043.08. In other words we blew Romney away and we're still piling it on with hours to go.

violinguy
11-05-2007, 06:55 PM
My donation was processed quickly, showed up on my bank account, and I got the confirmation email right away. This was in the last 15 minutes.

Jeremiah

wsc321
11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Based on the campaign email, indicating Romney did $3.1M, we're a breath away right now at $3.08M (http://ronpaulgraphs.com/).

mport1
11-05-2007, 06:58 PM
If you have noticed ( and I am sure the campaign will confess this tomorrow) There is only the capability of processing 200k per hour! take not of that this is significant. As I predicted (not to be cocky) I thought we would hit a minimum of 8mm.

Thanks,and don't taze me bro!

P.S. I saw a lot of people saying they did not recieve their donation response ASAP, nor did I but it came later today. I live in Florida and stayed up past midnight and was one of the first to bust the bubble. When I looked down it was 2,779,632. Believe me I document! God Bless

Nelson

How do you know this?

Channing
11-05-2007, 06:58 PM
If there is a limit it's in the number of donations per hour. If 125$ is the average donation, then the limit is 1600 donations per hour or about 27 donations per minute.

Andrea
11-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Ron Paul's money counters are all backed up....

Nash
11-05-2007, 07:01 PM

Outbound mail goes through their sendmail servers before hitting the net. It can only process so much at once and the rest is queued for delivery. You'll get the confirmation email it just might take a day or two.

I didn't get a confirmation mail either.

freedominnumbers
11-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I know in our Grocery store processing systems which are largely internet based a CC charge takes about 1 sec from initiation to confirmation (then another few seconds inside the store system and register). That's under normal load.
I suppose under extreme processing loads (which seems to happen every Christmas) that process time could be slowed a bit.

I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to say their processing system is limited to around 30-60 transactions per minute.

scottabing
11-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Looking at the graph it would seem that there is some merit to the idea that processing is maxed out.
Time will tell once midnight rolls around!!!

tekkierich
11-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Donated in the past 15 minutes received confirmation e-mail right away.

jaumen
11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Outbound mail goes through their sendmail servers before hitting the net. It can only process so much at once and the rest is queued for delivery. You'll get the confirmation email it just might take a day or two.

I didn't get a confirmation mail either.

Yep, I donated shortly after midnight, didn't recieve my confirmation until about 4 PM.... it could take quite awhile, especially since there would be way more donations built up if you donated later in the day, which I would imagine would make it even longer.

smtwngrl
11-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Apauled View Post
I live in Florida and stayed up past midnight and was one of the first to bust the bubble. When I looked down it was 2,779,632. Believe me I document! God Bless

I was there, too, and it did start at about that. But.......there was also $326,000 in offline donations that were added after midnight. I guess they decided not to keep that as part of the total for today, so it was added to yesterday's total, and that is now the "starting amount" for today. That's why the starting amount is listed at ronpaulgraphs as $3,115,107.

ItsTime
11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
where is the proof?

Apauled
11-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Because I did not recieve a confirmation asap and they did not list my name as usual (not until 3pm today) which is perfectly ok with (I looked at my credit card transactions). Then simple logic: 18000 sign ups, at least that in intentions, 21000 in the official campaign saying 21000 NEW DONORS, . That still puts me at 8MM but it cannot all be processed at once. Also, the time difference between west coast and East!

Thank you Nelson

walt
11-05-2007, 07:20 PM
if all the donations don't have pictures and aren't immediately on Youtube, they don't exist! ;):D;)

Brendan
11-05-2007, 07:32 PM
This is also a great day for credit card companies, paypal, and the banking corps at large. :D

CJLauderdale4
11-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Yep, I donated shortly after midnight, didn't recieve my confirmation until about 4 PM.... it could take quite awhile, especially since there would be way more donations built up if you donated later in the day, which I would imagine would make it even longer.

Mine was the same...

I donated at midnight (actually November 4th 23:58 per the raw data, DAMN!!!), and I didn't get a confirmation email until 3:55PM.

It could be the mail server limitation, not the database processing the payment...

hummtide
11-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Wouldnt that be amazing.. noon Tuesday.. "This just in to CNN, The Ron Paul campaign has released earth shattering numbers that now indicate the November 5th fundraising event organized entirely by supporters of Dr Ron Paul, in fact raised over $13 million in only 24 hours."

work2win
11-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Looks like 200k/hr or some number of donatoins/hr limit is a reality. There is no way the donations are following this linear pattern by chance.

http://i20.tinypic.com/2ih9jie.jpg

jaumen
11-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Looks like 200k/hr or some number of donatoins/hr limit is a reality. There is no way the donations are following this linear pattern by chance.

Agreed. People randomly donating throughout the day couldn't possibly be that consistent.

Ninja Homer
11-05-2007, 08:02 PM
That's pretty damn linear... definitely suspect. If it continues on that line past midnight it's probable that there is a bottleneck somewhere in processing the transactions.

Van Damme
11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
That's pretty damn linear... definitely suspect. If it continues on that line past midnight it's probable that there is a bottleneck somewhere in processing the transactions.

I concur.

rockwell
11-05-2007, 08:06 PM
I donated at about 9 am and saw my name, never got the email. Just donated agin and my name didn't come up, but the rate was changing at something like 5K a minute, so they probably have them stacked up in cue.

I get the feeling there's a lot more in donations than what we're seeing live time.

margomaps
11-05-2007, 08:07 PM

I know I'm being redundant here. I'm probably about the sixth person to say this, but: I agree as well. I'm 95% confident that the linearity is a result of a bottleneck somewhere in the processing of transactions. This also implies that the "true" amount donated will end up being higher than the amount we're seeing right now.

Kap
11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
On CNN's website it's been posted Ron Paul recieved $2.7 million dollars. It's definately a lot higher than that.

Tidewise
11-05-2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.ronpaulnation.com/tv.html#bernstein_glenn_gould

this is how I feel :D

Wow do I love Glenn Gould. Thank you!

Exponent
11-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I've posted this elsewhere, but the number of donors per hour graph doesn't look sufficiently flat to me to indicate such a phenomenon. In fact, it has been slowly rising throughout the day (from http://paulcash.slact.net/):
http://paulcash.slact.net/today-paulpeople.png

Apauled
11-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Guys & Gals, those that uderstand the simple logic I am suggesting see that the true is overwhelming. As in my post 1 or 2 days ago I mention 8mm to 13mm. I am am not trying to be overly optimistic but I can tekk you "How do you process 500k an hour unless you are e-bay. Please tell me?

Thanks Nelson

Inflation
11-05-2007, 08:27 PM
if all the donations don't have pictures and aren't immediately on Youtube, they don't exist! ;):D;)

digg linky, or that's not true :p

Ncturnal
11-05-2007, 08:30 PM
We started with $2,779,043.08. In other words we blew Romney away and we're still piling it on with hours to go.

That's what I saw at midnight EST as well but the ronpaulgraphs.com site as well as the campaign email stated they started with 3.1 million. I don't know what the official timezone that they are using is, but it could account for the differing starting figures. Either way, it's still nothing short of awesome and the 3.1 million in one day record has already been broken. :D

RobotJaxxon
11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Guys & Gals, those that uderstand the simple logic I am suggesting see that the true is overwhelming. As in my post 1 or 2 days ago I mention 8mm to 13mm. I am am not trying to be overly optimistic but I can tekk you "How do you process 500k an hour unless you are e-bay. Please tell me?

Thanks Nelson

Perhaps there is a delay in processing the credit cards. I don't see why paypal wouldn't be compiled immediately. I donated via paypal, and my name was listed on the graphic about 1 minute later.

Perhaps this might explain the non-flat shape of the ppl/hr graph? A constant stream of credit card processing with the paypal fluctuations riding on top? Personally, I'd guess they're staying pretty well on top of it all, there won't be too much of a delay.

Corydoras
11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Not meaning to be obvious, but everyone who has not received a confirmation, remember to check your spambox.

freedominnumbers
11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
If what the campaign is putting out there (22,000 donors) is true then based on my experiences in POS credit card processing over the internet it would take between 6 Hours and 6 Minutes and 24 hours and 24 minutes of non stop processing to approve all 22,000 transactions.

Brian Bailey
11-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Most recent numbers I've seen show 30,000+ donors. I'm sorry I don't have a link to that info at the moment.

krott5333
11-05-2007, 08:40 PM
i didnt get an email response after I donated, but i checked my bank account and it did come out.

I might have an email now, but i dont feel like checking.

Ncturnal
11-05-2007, 08:41 PM
I received my confirmation email between 6 and 8 hours later.

Eli
11-05-2007, 08:42 PM
i just helped a friend of mine max out. This just means we all need to go push our donations now, before its too late.

Second_Tier_My_Ass
If what the campaign is putting out there (22,000 donors) is true then based on my experiences in POS credit card processing over the internet it would take between 6 Hours and 6 Minutes and 24 hours and 24 minutes of non stop processing to approve all 22,000 transactions.

just so you know, the number seems to be much higher than 22,000. according to this graph...

http://www.ronpaulgraphs.com/week_over_week_donors_flat.html

...there have been 32,000+ donors today.

Ninja Homer
I've posted this elsewhere, but the number of donors per hour graph doesn't look sufficiently flat to me to indicate such a phenomenon. In fact, it has been slowly rising throughout the day (from http://paulcash.slact.net/):

That makes it look even more like there's a bottleneck in processing the credit cards to me. How do you have that much variance in number of donations, but a straight line in the amount donated?

It could be that the number of donators number is updated immediately, but the donation total isn't updated until the credit card is processed. If there's a bottleneck on the side that's taking the transactions (authorize.net or whatever) then it would look a lot like this.

cjhowe
11-05-2007, 08:53 PM

A slow rising can be explained by other credit card merchants being closed for the day, thereby less lag in the system. There's also a smaller variance.

scottabing
11-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Has anyone that did not pay with paypal received an immediate email?
Using paypal has been immediate for me both times - this would not have to process as a credit card from campaign site...

brandon
11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I agree 100% with the idea that they have a limit on how many donations they can process at a time. The graph is far to linear. There must be a backlog of donations. I would bet money on this. I am an engineer if it means anything...

moonbat
11-05-2007, 09:55 PM
That makes it look even more like there's a bottleneck in processing the credit cards to me. How do you have that much variance in number of donations, but a straight line in the amount donated?

It could be that the number of donators number is updated immediately, but the donation total isn't updated until the credit card is processed. If there's a bottleneck on the side that's taking the transactions (authorize.net or whatever) then it would look a lot like this.

This seems the most logical to me.

schmeisser
11-05-2007, 09:56 PM
combined with the last email from HQ, I would tend to believe there is something to this theory as well, if they think we can hit the 5.7 record tonight maybe they are sitting on a lot of backlog cash?

SwooshOU
11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
That means that they will have to announce to us what the actual donations ended up being for November 5th seeing as the log jam will continue through the early morning hours and into tomorrow.

Absolutely incredible!

pazzo83
11-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I donated around 1230 Am this morning, and didn't receive confirmation for almost 12 hrs.

zebov
11-05-2007, 09:58 PM
My Two Cents

It seems most logical to me that it's not credit card processing issues (they can always process the credit cards in batch later) so much as the data that ronpaulgraphs.com and the other site are pulling from. I remember reading somewhere that ronpaulgraphs.com won't catch all the donations if there is a huge surge. I think this is simply because the dataset they pull data from changes so quickly that they can't get everyone. This would explain why there is an almost (but not exactly) linear plot.

It would also mean that ronpaulgraphs.com is greatly underestimating the contributions :) (which it is if you look at today's total + today's start value versus the current ronpaul2008.com flash)

Gimme Some Truth
11-05-2007, 09:59 PM

Yea we broke it a few hours ago :)

We have raised 3.73 million as i type this. thats just over 4mill with the 300+K that were added from offline donations

Cyclone
11-05-2007, 09:59 PM

LinearChaos
11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Can this be true? Does that mean the money will keep coming in all night?

I guess you'll find out tomorrow :p

bbachtung
I donated around 1230 Am this morning, and didn't receive confirmation for almost 12 hrs.

Same here; except that I donated at 12:15 (EST) and didn't get my confirmation e-mail until after 4 p.m. (PST).

scottabing
Can this be true? Does that mean the money will keep coming in all night?

This would seem to be pretty plausible.

specsaregood

It was 22,000 NEW DONORS, not all donors.

Danny Molina
11-05-2007, 10:06 PM
I haven't received a confirmation email from my second donation so maybe it is backed up.

slantedview
11-05-2007, 10:07 PM
That would explain the very linear graph . . .

Yea the graph is VERY linear, but I got my confirmation e-mail almost instantly when I donated a short while ago.

zebov
11-05-2007, 10:08 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=32199&page=6#postmenu_357156

Whoops, wrong thread.... um... delete me?

atariman486
11-05-2007, 10:26 PM
This seems logical to me... how else does one explain the linearity of the graph?

freedominnumbers
11-05-2007, 10:32 PM
In the POS systems I am experienced in current process requests get priority over "offline" or cached requests. This is so that after a CC system outage ends your system isn't down for another hour or two while it catches up. I expect the campaign system operates similarly.

terlinguatx
11-05-2007, 10:33 PM

Channing
11-05-2007, 10:37 PM
The linear graph looks very artificial.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the credit card companies have set an maximum donation rate (in $ donated) to limit the effect of this event.

After all, we all know that mass media is controlled and uses every dirty trick in the book.

So why not the credit card companies too?

That seems to be the only logical explanation for having such a steady development of the money amount per hour, but such a variation in the number of donations per hour.

zebov
11-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I just hope they do a homepage blog update at 12:01am saying exactly how much was raised to day (as they did for the last big push). Can't wait! Only 25 more minutes!

zebov
11-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a sneaky suspicion that the credit card companies have set an maximum donation rate to limit the effect of this event. After all, we all know that mass media is controlled. So why not the credit card companies? That seems to be the only logical explanation for having such a steady development of the money amount per hour, but such a variation in the number of donations per hour.

:p Funny

xcalybur
11-05-2007, 10:41 PM
One of the things that a lot of people don't know is that a CC processing company usually gives a certain rate to their customer depending on the amount of traffic or processing they think will be needed. This is especially true on the internet where any tiny little store can pop up and want to get a merchant account. It would make sense that the Ron Paul campaign overlooked the fact that they didn't think they would have to process more than 750 people per hour or 18,000/day. So they locked into that rate. Little did they know that Nov 5th would happen back in January. Based on my calculations if we are correct about this and the campaign can collect all the money that they haven't processed yet, then we would have made, drum roll please:

$8,602,067

literatim
11-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I just hope they do a homepage blog update at 12:01am saying exactly how much was raised to day (as they did for the last big push). Can't wait! Only 25 more minutes!

They will probably have to calculate it.

jaumen
11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Hoping this theory is true, just because... I'd like to wake up tomorrow and be shocked by the number I see. If not, still a PHENOMONAL day.

dagnytaggart
11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I donated about an hour ago (and just checked to see that I received my email confirmation immediately); however, I have yet to see my name as a donor. Are donor names put up so quickly that I missed it, or does this mean that there is atleast a one hour backlog in adding donations to the total?

Exponent
11-05-2007, 10:46 PM
The linear graph looks very artificial.

That seems to be the only logical explanation for having such a steady development of the money amount per hour, but such a variation in the number of donations per hour.
Check the Differential Calculus (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=32402) thread. The reason the total sum looks so linear but the donation rate looks so varied is a matter of scale. All the little but minor looking wobbles on the total sum graph do indeed produce a rate of donation curve that is shown. No discrepancy between the graphs.

Ninja Homer
11-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Check the Differential Calculus (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=32402) thread. The reason the total sum looks so linear but the donation rate looks so varied is a matter of scale. All the little but minor looking wobbles on the total sum graph do indeed produce a rate of donation curve that is shown. No discrepancy between the graphs.

No, there wouldn't be any discrepancy between the graphs, because they are all based off of the same 3 numbers; number of donations, total amount of donations, and the time.