PDA

View Full Version : Donors not Donations....

UtahApocalypse
11-05-2007, 06:40 PM
We all have been keeping track of the various donation records, and smashing them one-by-one. My question is does anyone have records for Donors in a day?? even if we do not beat Mitt and his 6.1 in a day (we very well could) I get the feeling we have had many, many more people donating and at a lower average. If this is correct can we assume more donors will equal more voters?

sylvania
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
In an article I just read, Jessie Benton said they had 21,000 new donors today. I'll try to find it again.

constitutional
11-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Romney did not raise that much in one day. Much of it was "pledged." We need to raise $3.1 mil to beat him which I guess we did it!

sylvania
11-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Here it is:

The Caucus: Political Blogging From The New York Times

Guy Fawkes Day Helps Raise Millions for Paul
By David D. Kirkpatrick

Historians and British school children remember Guy Fawkes as the Catholic, anti-Protestant rebel who on Nov. 5, 1605, unsuccessfully tried to assassinate King James I by blowing up the parliament.

Supporters of the long-shot Republican primary campaign of libertarian Representative Ron Paul may remember Guy Fawkes as a wildly successful fund-raising gimmick.

On Monday, a group of Paul supporters helped raise more than $2.8 million in one day — more than half its total for last quarter — through a Web site called ThisNovember5th.com, a reference to the day the British commemorate the thwarted bombing. Paul fans may know of the day primarily through a movie based on the futuristic graphic novel “V for Vendetta,” by Alan Moore and David Lloyd, in which a terrorist modeled after Mr. Fawkes battles a fascist government that has taken over Britain.

The Paul campaign has raised more than $5.54 million in the first five weeks of this quarter, more that the $5 million it raised in the full third quarter. Many of the contributions appeared to come through the independent Fawkes effort but it was unclear exactly how many. On Monday alone, the campaign signed up more than 21,000 new donors on Monday, a campaign spokesman, Jesse Benton, said.

Among 2008 presidential candidates, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton holds the record for raising the most in a single day: $6.2 million on June 30. But Mr. Paul has surpassed former Senator John Edwards’ best day: $2.5 million on March 31.

ThisNovember5th.com includes a speech by Mr. Paul declaring, “The true patriot challenges the state when the state embarks on enhancing its power at the expense of the individual.” He adds: “The American Republic is in remnant status. The stage is set for our country eventually devolving into military dictatorship, and few seem to care.”

To be clear, Mr. Benton said, Mr. Paul does not support blowing up government buildings. “He wants to demolish things like the department of education,” Mr. Benton said, “but we can do that very peacefully, in a constructive manner.”