PDA

View Full Version : Had a T.V. interview today- I'm a novice- how do I learn to do these well?

Kalebthefinn
10-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Had a random call out of the blue today from a tv station wanting to interview me in response to all the Ron Paul signs in our town. I have no idea how they got my name or thought I had anything to do with it but happily obliged. I suppose I'm at the mercy of the editors now. Besides the obvious (I dressed professionally, etc) how do you train yourself to be a good interview? How do you practice? Of course I think of all the things I shoulda said after etc but I am a complete novice at this so it's inevitable I blunder. Anyone have any advice? Direction?

undergroundrr
10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Compact answers with some power behind them come across best. Long rambling answers that don't close firmly usually don't play well. Of course, a sense of sincerity is the most important thing of all.

noneedtoaggress
10-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Learn as much about the topic as you can.

tribute_13
10-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Just stick to the basics. Correct misinformation. They're probably just going to ask you what its all about, what you find palatable about the Ron Paul campaign and they'll probably ask you about basic platform details. It's a puff piece I'm sure, so it'll be short and concise. Therefore your answers will have to be short and concise to maximize the message. Try to mention his Reagan endorsement and Ron Paul being one of only four republican congressman to endorse Reagan in 1976. When they ask you why you love him so much, let them know he's a true Reagan conservative. Limited government, an emphasis on individual freedom and 30+ years of active service to this country trying to change the system by looking at the causes and not the symptoms.

Proph
10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
IMO, watch some of Adam Kokesh's videos. He's great at that stuff.

Also...I wouldn't recommend using someone else's description of Paul unless you agree with it yourself. If you were to use the "Reagan" example above...that won't help you too much if you don't know a thing about RR. They may follow up with "Well, for our viewers, what is a Reagan republican?"

Just stick with what you know, and think a few seconds before you give each answer (that will give you time to think of a response, and phrase it without stumbling over your words).

Good luck!

Pericles
10-10-2011, 02:26 PM
1. Be able to summarize your points into a short list
2. Be concise - give a one sentence brief answer (the sound bite) and then expound with three more (at most) sentences if prompted or if the interviewer pauses
3. Avoid being combative with the reporter - save that for the other (counter view) guest.
4. Be prepared to go into greater depth as background, or off the record, so the interviewer can ask more cogent or focused questions to draw out key points in the interview.

amy31416
10-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Watch interviews, both good and bad, and think about how you would answer the questions (in addition to what Pericles listed above)--then practice! With a friend, or even in a mirror or using a tape recorder. Knowing what the hell I was talking about was always my best source of confidence in public speaking, a secondary source of confidence was some sort of passion about the topic.

Always consider what counterpoint a person might have as well--with our viewpoints and being criticized from the right and left, you'll want to contemplate what both sides may counter with.

brandon
10-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Nothing beats practice. Maybe join a local toastmasters meetup or take a public speaking class at community college?

KCIndy
10-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Think up three or four really good twenty second soundbites, then use them no matter what the question really is. That's what politicians do! :D