PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Tony Perkins on CNN this morning downplaying Ron Paul straw poll victory

jct74
10-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Ron Paul discussed from 1:50 to 3:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJiAuJwByw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJiAuJwByw

lucky_bg
10-10-2011, 07:44 AM
This chick is great! Quote: "So you're saying your own poll results don't mean anything"?! and "So Ron Paul probably means nothing but Herman Cain does?! Hahahahahaha!" She laughed in his face!

Kords21
10-10-2011, 07:53 AM
What a conspiracy, people dare wake up, register, pay their fee then vote for their candidate? I'm aghast that Homeland security didn't pick up on this fiendish plot. Coming in less than 1% point in Iowa means nothing, but finishing 14% behind the 1st place finisher is a strong 2nd though, I really wonder about the reality these people claim to live in.

qwerty
10-10-2011, 07:58 AM
How much you will tolerate before you start fighting back! You know you have the tools for that! Black this out!

Deborah K
10-10-2011, 08:04 AM
What a liar! This was organic. RP didn't bus anyone in. And he's lying about voters are there not only to vote but to hear what ALL the candidates have to say. BS! They're mostly there to vote for their guy/gal.

KCIndy
10-10-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm getting really sick of Perkins' smarmy insinuations that Ron Paul won the VVS poll through underhanded means. :mad: :mad:

Cabal
10-10-2011, 08:08 AM
He sure likes his double standards.

Mike4Freedom
10-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah, that was complete BS, I drove there and saw tons of cars with RP2012 bumper stickers on them. I did not notice any bus's when i was there.

RDM
10-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Tony Perkin's statement 5 days ago in the Washington Times:

"The Values Voter Summit will test each candidate’s ability to motivate its base to get out and cast a vote in the summit’s straw poll. In 2007, Gov. Mike Huckabee’s strong finish at the straw poll helped push him into the top tier of candidates right before a big win at the Iowa caucuses."
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/4/values-voters-are-key-to-election-win/

So Now, we're guilty of supporting Ron Paul?

qwerty
10-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Fight back; don`t complain! Complaining won`t get anywhere! Don`t waste time on e-mailing them!

Let`s make event that nobody can miss!

KCIndy
10-10-2011, 08:21 AM
So Now, we're guilty of supporting Ron Paul?

We're guilty of supporting someone whom Perkins certainly did NOT want to see win.

unconsious767
10-10-2011, 08:22 AM
http://www.gb93.com/site_images/2011-05-27/psycho-anthony-leigh-shower-150fp061410.jpg

Deborah K
10-10-2011, 08:26 AM
http://www.gb93.com/site_images/2011-05-27/psycho-anthony-leigh-shower-150fp061410.jpg

For you youngins, who may not get the irony of this picture - Anthony Perkins was the actor who killed the actress in the photo, in the original movie 'Psycho'! ROFL! Good one, unconscious767!

acptulsa
10-10-2011, 08:34 AM
RP didn't bus anyone in.

Is this 100% true? I heard there was a bus or two. But I think it's completely verifiable that most or all of the other candidates has more transportation capacity coming in than Ron Paul did.

Let's not fall into any traps.

specsaregood
10-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Is this 100% true? I heard there was a bus or two. But I think it's completely verifiable that most or all of the other candidates has more transportation capacity coming in than Ron Paul did.

It wasn't done by the campaign, IIRC the C4L might have offered a bus but it was completely seperate from the campaign.

samsung1
10-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Kudos to that news anchor for calling perkins out

civusamericanus
10-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Politicians should simply follow the constitution and lead by example not legislate morality. Tony Perkins is just another hippochristian and is a prime example of what's wrong with Religious organizations today. Ron Paul is a real christian, and people like Tony Perkins could learn a lot from what a real Christian believes. If Jesus were alive today, he'd have nothing to do with most of today's Christians!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTX5dTCCOj4

acptulsa
10-10-2011, 08:46 AM
It wasn't done by the campaign, IIRC the C4L might have offered a bus but it was completely seperate from the campaign.

Excellent, thanks!

Please, please, if anyone knows that specs doesn't remember correctly speak up! Because otherwise we need to use Deborah's argument (so to speak) liberally!

civusamericanus
10-10-2011, 08:47 AM

When other candidates turn out a tremendous amount of supporters, they call it "Well Organized Vibrant Grassroots Support".

When Ron Paul has a great turn out they attempt to discredit him and accuse him of stacking the deck.

TheDriver
10-10-2011, 08:48 AM
The point he makes is valid: The bulk of normal participates did not vote for Ron Paul, the hundreds of rabid Ron Paul supporters, who showed up (just) on the day he spoke, overwhelmed the straw poll for a Ron Paul victory.

sorianofan
10-10-2011, 08:50 AM
These false christians...ugh

Deborah K
10-10-2011, 08:52 AM

I'll check. I know that a bus was being organized from NY I believe, but that was grassroots, not campaign.

acptulsa
10-10-2011, 08:53 AM
The point he makes is valid: The bulk of normal participates did not vote for Ron Paul, the hundreds of rabid Ron Paul supporters, who showed up (just) on the day he spoke, overwhelmed the straw poll for a Ron Paul victory.

lulz.

Yeah, it was definitely cheating to actually look to the Bible for your talking points before speaking to a group of Christians. Definitely cheating. You do stuff like that, and the next thing you know the rocks and stones are casting ballots for you.

When Ron Paul has a great turn out they attempt to discredit him and accuse him of stacking the deck.

Of course. Only astroturf is official. If you don't nip real grassroots in the bud, the next thing you know you're up to your armpits in grass. Reefer madness!

These false christians...ugh

Don't fire that shotgun willy-nilly. Obviously some of them were curable, or Dr. Pauls brilliant yet humble speech wouldn't have garnered more votes than the Six Hundred Perkins finds so dastardly.

Ronulus
10-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Lets keep stacking those polls and stuffing those ballot boxes until ron paul gets elected.

Xelaetaks
10-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Anyone see CNN.com? In the political section it says "Paul straw poll win discountedz". These people are disgusting. They're guilt shows even in their headlines.

acptulsa
10-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Lets keep stacking those polls and stuffing those ballot boxes until ron paul gets elected.

That's right. The more we 'stuff' polls with actual voters, the sillier they look when they whine about it.

And don't forget what Jesus said about loving your enemies. We should not only win these things, we should be thoughtful and bring the establishment hacks some cheese to go with their whine.

Valli6
10-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Who documented the preference of each person that only attended on Saturday? I would think most who attended on Saturday did so because they work or attend attend school on Fridays. And who documented the preferences of the people who attended before Saturday? The fact is no one actually knows, this is conjecture from sore losers.

He made it sound like Ron Paul's campaign tried to buy a block of tickets, but we all know every candidate tries to buy blocks of tickets to any straw poll. He made it sound like all of Ron Paul's supporters only showed on Saturday, but we know this isn't the case, and every candidate has supporters that work and can't attend during the week. It's misleading and dishonest.

specsaregood
10-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Maybe all the all the Ron Paul supporters have jobs to attend to during the weekdays.

cero
10-10-2011, 09:08 AM
For you youngins, who may not get the irony of this picture - Anthony Perkins was the actor who killed the actress in the photo, in the original movie 'Psycho'! ROFL! Good one, unconscious767!

lol damn tx
thou shame on me for not having seen the movie yet....

TheDriver
10-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Maybe all the all the Ron Paul supporters have jobs to attend to during the weekdays.

Maybe... I'm glad Ron won, but I can understand the big whigs complaining as well. After all, they are losing when it comes to boots on the ground. But, they're winning on the lazy ass uniformed voters, who show up on election day.

I'm sure they'll have a new rule or two next year to try and limit participation in their private group.

ronpaulhawaii
10-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I just put a BlackTHISout mention in the comments. Please vote up

specsaregood
10-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm sure they'll have a new rule or two next year to try and limit participation in their private group.

I'm not so sure as they were more than happy to take the registration fee. I think is important to them.

AdamT
10-10-2011, 09:20 AM
I just put a BlackTHISout mention in the comments. Please vote up

Done.

ZanZibar
10-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for posting this.

erowe1
10-10-2011, 09:55 AM
People who bought tickets for VVS should write to FRC and complain about this. They didn't pay $75 to have the group's president publicly say their opinion doesn't count.

In fact, they should ask for their money back.

Bruno
10-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Will he be reimburseing the registration fee for the insignificant straw poll?

ZanZibar
10-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for posting this.

AdamT
10-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Will he be reimburseing the registration fee for the insignificant straw poll?

Yeah, why not just refund everyone's ticket cost if the poll was such a failure (ie an establishment hack didn't win). Would be the right thing to do.

Kotin
10-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Black this out.

No Free Beer
10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
To be honest, he makes a point.

erowe1
10-10-2011, 10:02 AM

What point is that?

No Free Beer
10-10-2011, 10:05 AM
That a lot of people came for a summit. To listen to all speakers. And we, the Ron Paul supporters, came just for him, voted, then left. Although I don't think that takes away from his victory, it means we are better organized and we are more passionate. But we also have to be clear, his point was that it was more than just a one day event. But I still don't buy his "Cain won" bs...

Bruno
10-10-2011, 10:07 AM
That a lot of people came for a summit. To listen to all speakers. And we, the Ron Paul supporters, came just for him, voted, then left. Although I don't think that takes away from his victory, it means we are better organized and we are more passionate. But we also have to be clear, his point was that it was more just a one day event. But I still don't buy his "Cain won" bs...

So, all the people who listened to the other speakers made sure to listen to Ron Paul as well?

No Free Beer
10-10-2011, 10:10 AM
So, all the people who listened to the other speakers made sure to listen to Ron Paul as well?

No, I am not saying that at all. Look at it this way. It is like throwing a party, for whatever reason. A lot of people show up to mingle and enjoy the whole experience. Then, after at a certain hour, alcohol is allowed to be served. A lot of people show up, get drunk, and leave. Now, again...I don't agree with his point about how Ron Paul's victory doesn't mean anything and that Cain's percentage does. At the end of the day, it's a straw poll. The point is to win the straw poll for media coverage. All I am saying/doing is defending his point on it being a "summit". I think the guy is a jackass, anyway.

No Free Beer
10-10-2011, 10:13 AM
What is also very misleading about his comments are that he acts as if none of the other candidates had the same strategy as Ron

Cowlesy
10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
The irony of this all is instead of organizations like FRC trying to reach out to all these energetic supporters who on their own dime will travel to support liberty and smaller government, they, like the RNC just push us away.

Newsflash to the RNC and Tony Perkins or anyone else, if Ron Paul has an ironclad 10% of the Republican vote, that's 5% of the general electorate who votes, and if half of them are Paul or no one and they lose that 2.5% to the Libertarians or other parties, Generic Republican will likely lose.

And, given how the party platform changed in 1996 but was then ignored by the party elite, don't expect a few bones to be thrown at the convention are going to make a dime's worth of difference with most of us.

We either get Paul on the top of the ticket, or the Veep better by a traditional conservative or kiss a lot of our votes goodbye at least on the top of the ticket.

No Free Beer
10-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Cowlesy, I couldn't agree more. From the perspective of the GOP elite, they are in a lose-lose situation. If the GOP voters elect Ron Paul, he changes the way the GOP does business. This wouldn't just be the case for four years, this would change the GOP for a very long time. If the GOP voters vote anyone but Paul, they will ultimately lose in the General Election. To me, from what I have heard from some GOP insiders, they would rather lose the General Election, than put Ron up against Obama. "Country over party", my ass!

acptulsa
10-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Cowlesy, I couldn't agree more. From the perspective of the GOP elite, they are in a lose-lose situation.

But the people they answer to don't care.

Think about it. CNN has turned on Tony Perkins. This Family Research Council is expendable; their hold on the media spin machine is not. Remember, they find Obama just as useful as any G.O.P. candidate for starting more wars--more, since so many antiwar types seem to think they have an investment in him--and far more useful than one.

I suspect that if push comes to shove, they'd sacrifice the entire G.O.P. before they either relinquish their hold on the talking head contingent or bow to an antiwar Republican.

I don't see a way to make typical Republicans see this, though. But the fact remains that, so far as they're concerned, a G.O.P. that won't allow Ron Paul and us to save it isn't enough of a voice of the people to be worth saving.

ronpaulhawaii
10-10-2011, 10:49 AM

WTH?

You do realize that lots o supporters from other candidates just bought the one day pass, right?

You do realize that even if they had eliminated all the "one day pass" votes we still would have won, right?

So, what point does he make again?

erowe1
10-10-2011, 10:50 AM
That a lot of people came for a summit. To listen to all speakers. And we, the Ron Paul supporters, came just for him, voted, then left. Although I don't think that takes away from his victory, it means we are better organized and we are more passionate. But we also have to be clear, his point was that it was more than just a one day event. But I still don't buy his "Cain won" bs...

Do you really think many RP supporters traveled to DC and paid to attend the summit just so they could cast a vote in the straw poll and then leave? How many do you think did that, and what do you base that on?

How many people who came to the summit didn't do it at least partly to support their favorite candidate? And how many of those who voted for other candidates came just for them, voted and left?

And of those people who came just to support other candidates, did their presence there reflect the strength of those candidates' support, or the irrelevance of it?

ronpaulhawaii
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Further, The insinuation that RP supporters all stood up and left is a blatant lie. We paid for our own bus, most of us paid full price for tickets and ALL of us stayed for Bennett's and Romney's speech, only leaving to go to the Meet and greet

undergroundrr
10-10-2011, 11:14 AM
How the hell did you get 600 people on that bus?

Seriously, Perkins' 600 claim is ludicrous and illogical. There's no way he can substantiate the insinuation he keeps making that all (or even most of) the 600 Saturday-only people voted for Paul. It's a tenuous correlation. The maddening thing is that the media is more than happy to take his word for it every time he says it.

acptulsa
10-10-2011, 11:16 AM
I wonder how many good Christians we could find to truthfully look into a camera and say, 'I wasn't able to make it down on Friday either, and I voted for _______'?

ZanZibar
10-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Whatever. Ron Paul dominated the poll. The media cannot legitimately use the poll to prop up another candidate.

acptulsa
10-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Whatever. Ron Paul dominated the poll. The media cannot legitimately use the poll to prop up another candidate.

Which certainly explains why they're trying to use it to denigrate Ron Paul.

But that's all right, too. Because we're sure making that backfire on them.

No Free Beer
10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
WTH?

You do realize that lots o supporters from other candidates just bought the one day pass, right?

You do realize that even if they had eliminated all the "one day pass" votes we still would have won, right?

You must have not seen what I wrote above...

What is also very misleading about his comments are that he acts as if none of the other candidates had the same strategy as Ron

No Free Beer
10-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Do you really think many RP supporters traveled to DC and paid to attend the summit just so they could cast a vote in the straw poll and then leave? How many do you think did that, and what do you base that on?

How many people who came to the summit didn't do it at least partly to support their favorite candidate? And how many of those who voted for other candidates came just for them, voted and left?

And of those people who came just to support other candidates, did their presence there reflect the strength of those candidates' support, or the irrelevance of it?

Please read my comments above again.

acptulsa
10-10-2011, 11:28 AM

That motivating your supporters enough to pay their own way and pay for their own bus is dirty pool, when all the other candidates have to spend money that counts against their corporate donation limits to get anyone to show up.

acptulsa
10-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Maybe more people would quote you for truth if you bought them a beer... ;)

No Free Beer
10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Haha, maybe I should...

specsaregood
10-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Maybe the other candidates should adopt Dr. Pauls' platform, then they too could inspire hundreds to pay just to see him speak.

No Free Beer
10-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree, specs

acptulsa
10-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Maybe the other candidates should adopt Dr. Pauls' platform, then they too could inspire hundreds to pay just to see him speak.

Most of them are halfway there.

Sunstruck-Eden
10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm getting really sick of Perkins' smarmy insinuations that Ron Paul won the VVS poll through underhanded means. :mad: :mad:

Yeah, me too. It's like even if Ron Paul had bused people there, it's not like he would be the first candidate in history to do it (Herman Cain did it at the Georgia Straw Poll and no one said anything about it). But if Ron Paul does it (which he didn't - we organize ourselves because we're that passionate, thank you very much) it's an "outlier" and shouldn't be counted.

RDM
10-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, me too. It's like even if Ron Paul had bused people there, it's not like he would be the first candidate in history to do it (Herman Cain did it at the Georgia Straw Poll and no one said anything about it). But if Ron Paul does it (which he didn't - we organize ourselves because we're that passionate, thank you very much) it's an "outlier" and shouldn't be counted.

Maybe this will make you more angry: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?321825-Tony-Perkins-Once-supported-KKK-Grand-Wizard-David-Duke

ZanZibar
10-10-2011, 12:35 PM
The point he makes is valid: The bulk of normal participates did not vote for Ron Paul, the hundreds of rabid Ron Paul supporters, who showed up (just) on the day he spoke, overwhelmed the straw poll for a Ron Paul victory.So he just tried to invalidate his own poll ha ha ha.

undergroundrr
10-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Maybe this will make you more angry: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?321825-Tony-Perkins-Once-supported-KKK-Grand-Wizard-David-Duke

Wow, the phrase "David Duke supporter Tony Perkins" would go very nicely in the comments section of every online article that implies any credibility for this guy. So those are the socially conservative values Perkins thinks Ron Paul isn't in sync with, huh?

KEEF
10-10-2011, 01:00 PM

WOW!! Time to start bringing that out into the light.

pauliticalfan
10-10-2011, 01:04 PM
So Herman Cain's result is indicative of his support, but Ron Paul's win isn't?

Such BS in this video. I hope Jon Stewart tears it apart.

Deborah K
10-10-2011, 01:37 PM

Just heard back from a reliable source that it's true. The one and only bus was from NY and funded by the grassroots. Tony Perkins is a liar.

ronpaulhawaii
10-10-2011, 01:46 PM
FTR - NYC Liberty HQ only brought one bus... That we paid for ourselves. I didn't see any other busses so no ideas on that

jct74
10-15-2011, 01:49 AM
This is kind of old news, but I just came across this video of Perkins on Fox the day after the straw poll - he says in the interview that Ron Paul "games" straw polls and that it is "unfortunate". Starts at 3:05.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1209647870001/where-do-value-voters-issues-fit-into-2012