PDA

View Full Version : Should the government replace all taxes with user fees?

Cutlerzzz
10-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I vote yes.

From the Founding of the United States up until the Progessive Era, the Federal Government's budget was between 1.5% and 2.5% of GDP, virtually every year. I see no reason to believe that theft was needed to receive 1.5%-2.5% of the total economy every year. Would it be that unbelievable that people could set aside 2% of their income a year to pay for the programs the Federal Government had at the time?

Today, why should it be any different? Are there any programs created in that time that is not worth opting out of? Social Security? Medicare? Unemployment? Empire? The drug war? Any of the Departments created in that time frame?

I see no practical, much less moral, reason for taxation to remain.

pcosmar
10-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Should the government be funded?

I vote no. De-fund it to the point that it can do NO harm and offer no favors.

I suggest a tip jar.

CCTelander
10-09-2011, 03:59 PM

I suggest a tip jar.

This^

There are also bake sales, swap meets, and garage sales.

RedLightning
10-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Yes, mostly.

eduardo89
10-09-2011, 04:17 PM
You must all be millionaires and billionaires who don't want to pay their fair share!

Lothario
10-09-2011, 04:42 PM

I suggest a tip jar.

+1

QueenB4Liberty
10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Yes I think so.

Zippyjuan
10-10-2011, 11:34 AM
How would you determine a "user fee" on something like National Defense? Everybody gets benefits from that.

oyarde
10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
How would you determine a "user fee" on something like National Defense? Everybody gets benefits from that. Good question .It is in Article One Section Eight , Everyone SHOULD PAY A SMALL AMOUNT FOR IT . Not the present price tag obviously.

Travlyr
10-10-2011, 11:47 AM
At least 1/2, and likely more than 1/2, of the people will vote for free stuff from the government. Democracy fails for that reason. That is why the Founders created a republic. It is too bad that people no longer respect the constitutional republic. A return to the rule of law is sorely needed. No more assassinations of citizens, no more funny money, and no more wars.

Dr.3D
10-10-2011, 11:49 AM
This^

There are also bake sales, swap meets, and garage sales.

LOL, they shouldn't have any trouble getting a permit for those.

Krugerrand
10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Before I answer, what will be the user fee for being labeled a terrorist and killed by drone attack?

CCTelander
10-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Before I answer, what will be the user fee for being labeled a terrorist and killed by drone attack?

After they've killed you they'll send your family a bill for the cost of fuel (for the Predator) and the missile.

Dr.3D
10-10-2011, 11:52 AM
How would you determine a "user fee" on something like National Defense? Everybody gets benefits from that.

Depends on if it's really defense or the usual National Offense we have been seeing. If the government were selling something I wanted, I would be more than happy to pay for it.