PDA

View Full Version : Unemployed Seek Protection Against Job Bias

Jake Ralston
10-09-2011, 07:53 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — After two years on the unemployment rolls, Selena Forte thought she'd found a temporary job at FedEx that met her qualifications.

But Forte, a 55-year-old from Cleveland, says a job recruiter for a temporary agency told her the company wouldn't consider her because she had been out of work too long.

"They didn't even want to hear about my experience," said Forte, a former bus driver. "It didn't make sense. You're always told just go out there and get a job."

Forte, who last month found a part-time job as a substitute school bus driver, is part of a growing number of unemployed or underemployed Americans who complain they are being screened out of job openings for the very reason they're looking for work in the first place. Some companies and job agencies prefer applicants who already have jobs, or haven't been jobless too long.

She could get help from a provision in President Barack Obama's jobs bill, which would ban companies with 15 or more employees from refusing to consider — or offer a job to — someone who is unemployed. The measure also applies to employment agencies and would prohibit want ads that disqualify applicants just because they are unemployed.

Obama's bill faces a troubled path in Congress, as Republicans strongly oppose its plans for tax increases on the wealthy and other spending provisions.

The effort to protect the unemployed has drawn praise from workers' rights advocates, but business groups say it will just stir up needless litigation by frustrated job applicants. The provision would give those claiming discrimination a right to sue, and violators would face fines of up to $1,000 per day, plus attorney fees and costs.

Best quote I saw:

Everyone wants new, small business to start up, but, oh, by the way, if you start up, you must run your business the way the "Government" wants you to run it. Hire who the "Government" wants you to hire, pay what the "Government" wants you to pay., operate the way the "Government" wants you to operate.

Never mind, I'm not going to start a business. Too much interference.

Curious-------how many people were out of work for a year and a half or two years because thats when their unemployment ran out? You know who you are.

--The username of this quote was Ron ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/unemployed-seek-protection-against-job-bias-084916836.html

Johnny Appleseed
10-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Been out of work too long? Thats bullchips ,the company doesn't want her because she has been alive too long.

I still have money in my account and will use it only if I have absolutely have to. I buy sell and trade goods and services in the truly free market known as craigslist.

Travlyr
10-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately, the jobs are not coming back until the people in charge stop stealing the wealth. When society again achieves the right to trade with sound money, then everybody can prosper in a peaceful society.

"Banking was conceived in iniquity and born in sin. Bankers own the Earth. Take it away from them but leave them the power to create money, and, with the flick of a pen, they will create enough money to buy it back again. Take this great power away from them and all great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for then this would be a better and happier world to live in. But, if you want to continue to be the slave of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit." - Sir Josiah Stamp, President, Bank of England (2nd richest man in England)