PDA

View Full Version : Occupy Wall Street: Anarchists for big government

RonPaulFanInGA
10-08-2011, 08:43 PM
http://hotair.com/headlines/archives/2011/10/08/occupy-wall-street-anarchists-for-big-government/

If you’ll forgive a plug for my latest sell-out to my corporate masters, in my new book I quote H. G. Wells’s Victorian Time Traveler after encountering far in the future the soft, effete Eloi: “These people were clothed in pleasant fabrics that must at times need renewal, and their sandals, though undecorated, were fairly complex specimens of metalwork. Somehow such things must be made.” And yet he saw “no workshops” or sign of any industry at all. “They spent all their time in playing gently, in bathing in the river, in making love in a half-playful fashion, in eating fruit and sleeping. I could not see how things were kept going.” The Time Traveler might have felt much the same upon landing in Liberty Square in the early 21st century, except for the bit about bathing: It’s increasingly hard in America to “see how things are kept going,” but it’s pretty clear that the members of “Occupy Wall Street” have no plans to contribute to keeping things going. Like Michael Oher using his iPhone to announce his ignorance of Steve Jobs, in the autumn of the republic the beneficiaries of American innovation seem not only utterly disconnected from but actively contemptuous of the world that sustains their comforts.

Why did Steve Jobs do so much of his innovating in computers? Well, obviously, because that’s what got his juices going. But it’s also the case that, because it was a virtually non-existent industry until he came along, it’s about the one area of American life that hasn’t been regulated into sclerosis by the statist behemoth. So Apple and other companies were free to be as corporate as they wanted, and we’re the better off for it. The stunted, inarticulate spawn of America’s educrat monopoly want a world of fewer corporations and lots more government. If their “demands” for a $20 minimum wage and a trillion dollars of spending in “ecological restoration” and all the rest are ever met, there will be a massive expansion of state monopoly power. Would you like to get your iPhone from the DMV? That’s your “American Autumn”: an America that constrains the next Steve Jobs but bigs up Van Jones. Underneath the familiar props of radical chic that hasn’t been either radical or chic in half a century, the zombie youth of the Big Sloth movement are a paradox too ludicrous even for the malign alumni of a desultory half-decade of Complacency Studies: They’re anarchists for Big Government. Do it for the children, the Democrats like to say. They’re the children we did it for, and, if this is the best they can do, they’re done for.

pcosmar
10-08-2011, 09:23 PM
1. hot air

all talk, no fight. Bullshit.
Man, they're nothing but a bunch of hot air.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hot%20air

Rocket_pilot
10-08-2011, 10:38 PM
How can anarchists want big government? Seems like an oxymoron to me!

moderate libertarian
10-08-2011, 10:50 PM
There is a segment that may want to atroturf these protests for Dems/Unions but there seem to a lot of different and diverse voices that are chanting together. If this movement did spread out, I don't think any subset of it would be able to control it. Too early to say how things will shape up or fizzle in the end but it is not accurate to paint all these protesters with same brush.

Sola_Fide
10-08-2011, 11:29 PM
How can anarchists want big government? Seems like an oxymoron to me!

Not to me. Marxists are anarchists. The State is just a means to the ultimate anarchistic society.

VoluntaryAmerican
10-09-2011, 12:26 AM
This article is nonesense - yes I read Time Traveler - and no anarchists can not want any government.