PDA

View Full Version : Thumb drives for media distribution?

tangent4ronpaul
10-08-2011, 06:17 PM
With several DVD projects going on I got to thinking about this. DVD's cost $1 to produce and that's to hand deliver or let people pick up when tableing. To mail costs another $1.40 so $2.40 total. DVD's that are picked up at a table will probably be watched. For ones that are handed out or mailed, many will end up in the trash - unwatched.

So what about flash drives? Looked a little and found they started at $2.80. They can be custom printed and are reusable so desirable in their own right. THe content on them is also more readilly shared because they travel with the person in a pocket or on a keychain. So picture someone watching a DVD and either sharing it (passing it on) or talking about the content. With a Thumb drive the person could be talking about it and just say - well here, plug it into my tablet and see. for yourself. It's also easier to share - just plug in and copy files - that works with mobile devices that don't have DVD players

That also got me thinking about how we put these things together. Every one I've seen has been movie style - start at the begining and watch the whole thing. That is not only a deterrent to watching it - it's long but also hard to use if talking about a particular topic. We could put these together so it had a play all script, but also divided into topics that could be played independently, that would make them much more useful.

-t

LibertyRevolution
10-09-2011, 03:39 AM
DVD's are cheap. Like ~$0.30each retail, ~$0.20each wholesale.

Back in 2007 I bought 200 dvd-r's, burned them, and put them in doors of people with republican signs up.
We made a game of it, 4 of us each took 50 DVD's. Last to hit 50 house had to buy the beer.
After every drop we called home base and added the addresses to list.
It was like a game of reverse scavenger hunt.

Morel of the story is ... If your meetup is bored.. reverse scavenger hunt some RP dvd's :)

Cost me like $100. $65 for dvd's, $20 on cd sleeves, and $10 worth of Ron Paul slimjims.
So that is $0.50ea, with a bonus slimjim in folded over the DVD in a paper sleeve.
Took us a few hours, but they were fun hours spent hunting republican signs.

Flash drives are nice. I use them to show people Ron Paul clips all the time.
I have one with just Ron Paul clips on it. So if we get into discussion I can just load up the appropriate clip.
But I'm not giving them away...

Now about format..All of the Ron Paul DVD's that I have seen have menus and are broken down into sections.
There were some really nice ones that were freely available for download in 2007 that were really well done.

tangent4ronpaul
10-09-2011, 12:04 PM
OK - DVD's have gotten cheaper since I bought a bunch last time. Thumb drives will get cheaper too. There are probably places where they can be picked up for less now. I didn't look that hard.

have any links for RP DVD's thaqt have a menu? I've seen 8-10 and none of them did.

-t