PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in a college Government course

Knightskye
10-07-2011, 07:51 PM
On the first night of class, my 'Public Administration' teacher made it a point that he would keep his political opinions to himself, and to date I'm still not sure what he is. However, there were some interesting moments.

The Civil War came up, and the professor mocked what we were taught in 4th grade, that the War was fought to eradicate slavery. Instead, he said Lincoln pursued the war to maintain the Union.

Another night, he was discussing the different governing styles of modern Presidents. When he got around to Barack Obama and the stimulus package, he noted that Obama was relying on "sound economic theory," which made me chuckle.

Also, one night he asked everyone to raise their hand if they would keep the Department of Education, but no one did. Don't get your hopes up, though. It's more of an indication of apathy than federalism.

Over on the side of the room, there's this big loud-mouthed hawk who on several occasions mentioned how China and Russia represented a threat, that we need national education standards to compete with other countries, among other things.

libertygirl2
10-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Regarding the Civil War & Lincoln -- Have you read DiLorenzo's "The Real Lincoln"?

Also, where do you go to school?

Knightskye
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Regarding the Civil War & Lincoln -- Have you read DiLorenzo's "The Real Lincoln"?

Also, where do you go to school?

I haven't read his book, but I don't disagree.

I go to a community college in my county.