PDA

View Full Version : I just got stung again by Government subsidies.

puppetmaster
10-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I have a small farm and I buy alfalfa hay for my horses. I went down to my local feed store to stock up for the winter and got a big surprise.

I found out that the government is subsidizing the ranchers in Texas due to the drought. So I call up my buddy that grows hay and he tells me that he is getting more than DOUBLE what he normally gets for his crop because the government is adding dollars for the ranchers in Texas. So not only do I have to bail them out down there in Texas but I get a double whammy because I have to buy at twice the price here in Nevada. There is a huge hay shortage out west now because all of it is getting shipped to Texas.

As a small farmer, I really hate subsidies.......just shows how screwed up the system in when it comes to farm subsidies.

dannno
10-07-2011, 05:38 PM
That is an excellent illustration of how subsidies work in real life.

The media and general public see and think about the Texas side of the equation, but only a small minority get to experience your side of the equation.

XNavyNuke
10-07-2011, 06:31 PM
No doubt that somewhere in Texas the Feds are running a "Haywalker" program, so you're probably seeing a price increase from both Texas AND Northern Mexico. I'm sure the goobermint agents are complying with there own bioterrorism registration (like your friend is;)) and tracking those bales diligently. Hah!

Bioterrorism Rules Hit Hay Growers (http://hayandforage.com/mag/farming_bioterrorism_rules_hit/)

According to a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) spokesman, farmers who sell hay must comply with record-keeping requirements of the Bioterrorism Act of 2002.

The mandated records must include, along with other information, the field that each load came from, the truck that hauled it, and names and contact information of the driver and the people who loaded and unloaded it. The buyer's name and address, and the arrival date, must also be on record.

XNN

Carehn
10-07-2011, 06:36 PM
That is an excellent illustration of how subsidies work in real life.

The media and general public see and think about the Texas side of the equation, but only a small minority get to experience your side of the equation.

Not quite, we all feel it in higher prices of everything. Give or take 5 or 6 steps down the line this will raise the price of your.... internet, power, water, sheet rock, you name it.

I have seen paint go up by almost 30% a year over the last three years. I have sold paint for 7 years now.

pcosmar
10-07-2011, 06:36 PM
As a small farmer, I really hate subsidies.......just shows how screwed up the system in when it comes to farm subsidies.

A suggestion.
I have observed that a great many folks around here end up burning a lot of leftover hay every year.
Very little grows well here, but hay does. And this was a good year.
shipping might be a bit, but look into UP Michigan hay.

My neighbors was mostly clover btw. but alfalfa is likely available too.

bunklocoempire
10-07-2011, 06:41 PM
I have a small farm and I buy alfalfa hay for my horses. I went down to my local feed store to stock up for the winter and got a big surprise.

I found out that the government is subsidizing the ranchers in Texas due to the drought. So I call up my buddy that grows hay and he tells me that he is getting more than DOUBLE what he normally gets for his crop because the government is adding dollars for the ranchers in Texas. So not only do I have to bail them out down there in Texas but I get a double whammy because I have to buy at twice the price here in Nevada. There is a huge hay shortage out west now because all of it is getting shipped to Texas.

:mad:

Thank you very much for posting, I'll be sharing this.

Bunkloco