PDA

View Full Version : Something You All Need To Know About FreeDomainRadio and Stefan Molyneux

Zatch
10-07-2011, 10:52 AM
http://news.sky.com/home/video/15195445

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/how-a-cyberphilosopher-convinced-followers-to-cut-off-family/article727644/singlepage/#articlecontent

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/15/family-relationships-fdr-defoo-cult

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/15191561

FDR is some sort of cult that encourages young people to cut themselves off from their families.

muzzled dogg
10-07-2011, 10:54 AM
ok, and?

specsaregood
10-07-2011, 11:11 AM
ok, and?

Mr. Molyneux won't say how much revenues FDR generates. At one point, he thought incorrectly that someone had leaked subscribers-only podcasts to the Globe and Mail. "I cannot allow for the discussion or dissemination of any contents of any Premium Podcasts, since those are bonus conversations specifically reserved for donators, which of course I rely on for my income," he e-mailed.
So Molyneux is an intellectual property supporter. Good to know.

teacherone
10-07-2011, 11:26 AM
dude's a crackpot.

already knew that.

Austrian Econ Disciple
10-07-2011, 11:59 AM
This is old news from years ago, it is also disingenuous as he never encouraged anyone to leave non-dysfunctional families. Would people here call someone a crackpot for giving advice to a woman in an abusive marriage to leave? So, why the double-standard? Kids have become looked down upon as chattel instead of free individuals -- it's time to reverse this trend. I've always maintained that families are artificially propped up by Government laws and regulations such as mandatory G-school, child labor laws, and straight out chattel enslavement through parental 'rights'. Just as the State has no rights, nor do parents. They may have temporary guardianship shall the individual wish to remain under their supervision, but an individual has the right to assert their rights no matter what age and the law be damned for its immorality as it is. Not all families are functional. I have nothing to do with a few folks on my mothers side because of disputes and violent outbursts. You going to call me a crackpot? If the family unit of that particular group of individuals is unhealthy why would you recommend them to stay together?

fisharmor
10-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, I'm pretty much done thinking what other people tell me to think.
And these articles seem pretty chock-full of things I ought to be thinking.

Like this, from the second article:

"I tried to respect Tom's wishes and leave him alone, but once I discovered that the website was responsible for Tom leaving, I visited him at a cafe where he was working part-time,"

Yeah, lady, then it spends paragraphs talking about how you never spent any time with him, and toward the end it mentions how your relationship with your other son has completely changed and you actually talk to him now that you've lost one.

A website wasn't responsible for your son leaving. Was she responsible? Perhaps, perhaps not. But the one thing we can be absolutely sure of - the thing I think Molyneux would probably say as well - is that the son himself was responsible.

I am not an FDR member and don't listen to him regularly. I just recognize fearmongering when I see it.

Romulus
10-07-2011, 12:20 PM
So parents are blaming Steph for their neglect or distance in their family? Great. Sounds like BS to me.

noneedtoaggress
10-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I heard about this before I even really knew who Stefan was, so I was already skeptical of his set up before checking it out.

Stefan is mostly just really melodramatic... I think he took some theater or something. Those reports are media sensationalism.

Regardless... It's kind of ironic that Stefan is being chastised for this here, Dr. Paul has more of a cult-of-personality following than Stefan does... by a long shot.

noneedtoaggress
10-07-2011, 01:10 PM
So Molyneux is an intellectual property supporter. Good to know.

IIRC he was previously pro-ip but went anti-ip after being convinced of the anti-ip case.

I'm no expert on Molyneux, though... just something I remember hearing him say in passing before.