PDA

View Full Version : GOP threatens to strip favored status from New Hampshire

sailingaway
10-06-2011, 06:58 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/185985-republicans-pressuring-new-hampshire-on-primary-date

sigh....

Anuzis described Gardner as an astute politician and predicted he and Republican officials would come to an agreement that would set a calendar similar to the one that played out in 2008, when Iowa's caucus occurred shortly after New Year's Day and New Hampshire held its the week after.

that would mean college students still on break. organizing meet ups in districts where people go back for holidays should be done imho and an email tree to make sure kids get out. It is a fact that a group of kids going together to an event is much more enticing than motivating students at home on holiday -- even if they aren't off on vacation.

TexMac
10-06-2011, 07:00 PM
They'll back down. They always do.

Agorism
10-06-2011, 07:01 PM
It's weird because they are demanding that the officials misinterpret the state's own laws.

sailingaway
10-06-2011, 07:03 PM
It's weird because they are demanding that the officials misinterpret the state's own laws.

This same New Hampshire official apparently interpreted caucuses as dissimilar enough to be within 7 days, twice in the past.

Sola_Fide
10-06-2011, 07:04 PM
LoL. Typical....

acptulsa
10-07-2011, 04:59 AM
They'll back down. They always do.

I don't know. 'They' have never encountered a threat as serious as 'us' before.

If there's good news here, it's that there's a distinct possibility that the students never bothered to reregister in the precint where their dorm is, and having them at home on break could be just the ticket. But that's a big 'if'.

sailingaway
10-07-2011, 05:48 AM
I don't know. 'They' have never encountered a threat as serious as 'us' before.

If there's good news here, it's that there's a distinct possibility that the students never bothered to reregister in the precint where their dorm is, and having them at home on break could be just the ticket. But that's a big 'if'.

I hadn't even thought of registration by precinct. I know you can reregister party right at the caucus, can they register that night? We need to start planning threads on ways to get email trees of the students to the meetups near those areas and give the meetups the task to try to involve the students in GOTV or something lighter, whatever keeps them charged up to go, and interacting with people they can look forward to see at the caucuses. A lot of these people have never voted before and might not make it into some stranger's home to interact only with strangers in a caucus.

We need to make sure our people bring extra registration cards in case they run out at the caucus, this will help with independents and any Blue Republicans as well. I'm remembering one of the Nevada conventions where our guys voted down the pre printed slate of delegates but had brought banks of printers and cheerfully offered to print up new ballots so the convention didn't have to be 'stuck' with the others. I was majorly proud of them for being so prepared and anticipating this ploy. We need to think ahead and prepare for it.

TexMac
10-07-2011, 08:36 AM
If you're trying to reach young people, text messaging is far superior to email or anything else, really. Trust me, I have kids that age, I know how to get their attention.

georgiaboy
10-07-2011, 08:45 AM
If you're trying to reach young people, text messaging is far superior to email or anything else, really. Trust me, I have kids that age, I know how to get their attention.

qft