PDA

View Full Version : IL-Round Lake Beach cops shoot family’s barking puppy, for barking, apparently.

Anti Federalist
10-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Round Lake Beach cops shoot family’s barking puppy

http://newssun.suntimes.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=JwEbt pjsGxbsPxyoB6XNXs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYswTF2_JNGnxsv yz_8Z7t9xWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/8069279-418/round-lake-beach-cops-shoot-familys-barking-puppy.html

By Beth Kramer ekramer@stmedianetwork.com October 6, 2011 6:28PM

Javel Townsend said his two sons, ages 10 and 11, are crying and hollering in their sleep, calling out their beloved puppy’s name.

That’s because the Townsend family is grieving the loss of Altgeld, their shepherd/hound mix puppy. Townsend alleges a Round Lake Beach police officer shot and killed the dog earlier this week.

“I guess police got fed up with him barking and shot him,” Townsend said Thursday. “I want to know why they had to shoot him.”

Townsend moved into the 1600 block of Lotus Drive about a week before school started. As a new tenant, he was unaware of a hole in the fence enclosing his yard until Altgeld escaped Tuesday.

He heard gun shots around the time he realized Altgeld was missing. He has a second, older dog that did not escape the yard.

“I didn’t think the actual gunshots had to do with my dogs, but when I heard (the shots), I tried to call my dogs in,” Townsend said.

He was initially concerned that a stray bullet would hit one of his dogs. When Altgeld didn’t respond, Townsend went outside where a neighbor said police were dealing with a dog on the next block.

Townsend found his dog dead near two police officers.

Christy Matthews of Johnsburg said she witnessed the dog’s shooting.

She grew up on Woodridge Street (which intersects with Lotus near Townsend’s home) and was driving down the street when she said she saw a Round Lake Beach police officer aiming a weapon at a barking dog.

“It was by chance that day when we (Matthews and her sister) turned down the road,” Matthews said.

She watched the dog, later identified as Altgeld, barking. The dog walked three to four feet toward the police officer, then backed away into a yard.

Altgeld was barking a lot, but was not foaming at the mouth or acting aggressively, Matthews said.

“The dog did not do anything. It wasn’t even a big dog — it came up maybe to the officer’s knee,” Matthews said.

She said she saw the officer fire four to five shots at the dog.

“I can’t believe a dog would get shot for barking,” Matthews said. “I don’t believe any living thing should be executed that way. It was horrible.”

She described herself as an animal lover. She also owns a shepherd mix, which is a vocal breed, she said.

“I couldn’t believe my eyes ... I’m completely devastated. I don’t understand how an officer can justify shooting a dog like this,” Matthews said.

Townsend was issued tickets for the dog not having shots, for owning a dangerous dog and for the dog being at large. He is due in court Nov. 1 and is in discussions with an attorney.

“I’m going to fight this,” Townsend said.

Altgeld was named after John Peter Altgeld, an Illinois governor in 1896.

Round Lake Beach police did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Rael
10-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Bastards. :mad: Cute puppy, obviously no danger to anyone. makes my blood boil.

Anti Federalist
10-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Bastards. :mad: Cute puppy, obviously no danger to anyone. makes my blood boil.

Sure seems that way.

Even if he did get out, which I appreciate your point when you bring that up, but it seems like this was not a willing case of letting a dog run loose, that he had, in fact, escaped, I can't imagine what kind of "threat" the dog posed.

Imagine if it was you or me that did that.

aGameOfThrones
10-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Sure seems that way.

Even if he did get out, which I appreciate your point when you bring that up, but it seems like this was not a willing case of letting a dog run loose, that he had, in fact, escaped, I can't imagine what kind of "threat" the dog posed.

You would be arrested and sent to Freedom county jail for breaking the law!

muzzled dogg
10-06-2011, 06:38 PM
got url?

Carehn
10-06-2011, 06:39 PM
LOL

YOU KNOW WHATS FUNNY ABOUT ALL THIS! When he shot the puppy I bet it made every dog in the neighborhood start barking. LOL :)

Silver lining in everything.

Pericles
10-06-2011, 06:43 PM
It would seem that there is no longer any municipality in the US that has an ordinance regarding discharging a firearm in the city limits?

Sorry, I forgot that the laws do not apply to the police, prosecutors, and judges.:mad:

Kodaddy
10-06-2011, 06:53 PM
What a sick Fuck....

Anti Federalist
10-06-2011, 07:26 PM
got url?

Oh shit, thanks, forgot.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/8069279-418/round-lake-beach-cops-shoot-familys-barking-puppy.html

Rael
10-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Sure seems that way.

I do like to bring up when people don't keep their dogs confined, because keeping them from running loose is the best way to keep them safe both from asshole cops and other hazards, but that does not mean it makes the cop right for shooting the dog. Especially in this case where the dog is obviously no threat to anyone.

I cant tell you how many times I have pulled off the side of the road to try to capture loose dogs so they don't get run over, including some pretty big ones. I've never been bit. I don't understand what these pussies are so afraid of.

jack555
10-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Sounds like the dog knew they were thugs:D

Anti Federalist
10-07-2011, 06:56 PM
///

Anti Federalist
10-08-2011, 09:28 PM
///