PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul or Gary Johnson

GopBlackList
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Let's say in the future you had two candidates running, Rand Paul or Gary Johnson. Who would you choose?

brandon
10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Would depend on their platforms. I'd lean towards Gary Johnson right now.

bluesc
10-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Justin Amash seems more promising.

BamaAla
10-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I like them both, but I went with Rand because I feel like he has the more realistic chance of winning a future hypothetical election.

AGRP
10-06-2011, 12:28 PM

My fave.

Feeding the Abscess
10-06-2011, 01:04 PM

And even he has raised concerns about Ron's lack of desire to prevent Iran from producing nuclear power/a weapon if they so choose.

If Ron doesn't win the nomination, I'm seriously considering leaving the political arena. Too much compromising for me to feel like I still had a soul.

bluesc
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
And even he has raised concerns about Ron's lack of desire to prevent Iran from producing nuclear power/a weapon if they so choose.

If Ron doesn't win the nomination, I'm seriously considering leaving the political arena. Too much compromising for me to feel like I still had a soul.

He really said that? Source?

pcosmar
10-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Let's say in the future you had two candidates running,

Running where?

Pisces
10-06-2011, 01:14 PM
He said it on his Facebook page. It was around the time of Ron Paul's interview with Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday, the interview that took place the weekend Irene hit the East Coast. He shared a video of that interview and in the long thread of comments someone asked him if he disagreed with Ron Paul, and if so, what about. He said he disagreed with Ron's position on Iran because he said Iran had threatened their neighbors and the U.S.

Ekrub
10-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Ughh... RAND = RON = AMASH in ideology. How much of a politician they are varies. Voting record and accomplishment is most important.

AuH20
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Ughh... RAND = RON = AMASH in ideology. How much of a politician they are varies. Voting record and accomplishment is most important.

Agreed. Alot of this is splitting hairs.

Aratus
10-06-2011, 01:19 PM
G.J for veep

Brian4Liberty
10-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Rand Paul/Gary Johnson 2016! Great idea...

realtonygoodwin
10-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Great question!

eduardo89
10-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Rand: he's a Paul.

Feeding the Abscess
10-06-2011, 01:54 PM
He said it on his Facebook page. It was around the time of Ron Paul's interview with Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday, the interview that took place the weekend Irene hit the East Coast. He shared a video of that interview and in the long thread of comments someone asked him if he disagreed with Ron Paul, and if so, what about. He said he disagreed with Ron's position on Iran because he said Iran had threatened their neighbors and the U.S.

This. I can attest to it because it was me who Amash responded to when I asked him to give an example of a disagreement between Amash and Ron in the foreign policy realm.

Feeding the Abscess
10-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Rand signed on to a letter begging Obama to put sanctions on Iran. Rhetoric aside, not adhering to a non-interventionist foreign policy is a departure from the freedom philosophy.

GopBlackList
10-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Rand Paul just sometimes comes across as neo-con lite

jtstellar
10-08-2011, 02:37 PM
we don't know much about GJ's crowd, let's be frank. so most of us lean rand right now. GJ's base covers a lot of hippie libertarians many of whom post-boomers. many are 'establishment libertarians' whose platform hasn't managed to attract a fly while tea parties were growing. nobody knows what they think or what they want (support the fed while wanting a smaller government? support civil liberties but support foreign intervention as well? what i have seen on reason site). unless we know where gj's base exactly is, it doesn't make sense to support him. it's not as if he is exclusively trying to appeal to existing rp supporters, which means to get support, we have to go over. does that make any sense for us to do as of now, when not much is known about the other side's supporter base? no it doesn't

jtstellar
10-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Rand Paul just sometimes comes across as neo-con lite i like how that opinion can be stated just as a straight fact now, because people of your kind usually come out with a straight one-liner, but usually come up empty when pressed to elaborate. your kind can almost be put into a list and it wouldn't run longer than this page, but you feel mob-secured to repeat this one-liner over and over until it becomes a myth and a effortlessly-brainless thing to repeat.

not sure if gj even wants to bring all the troops home eventually or just 'reduce' it.. does he support commodity standard/parallel currency? haven't even heard him speak on military tribunal. talk about neo-con light.

Keith and stuff
10-08-2011, 02:45 PM
I like them both, but I went with Rand because I feel like he has the more realistic chance of winning a future hypothetical election.

That's why I voted for him too :)

Keith and stuff
10-08-2011, 02:48 PM

You should just give money to the pro-liberty folks in NH than. For example, check out the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance's 2011 Legislator of the Year, Rep. Mark Warden. He is very pro-liberty. As good as Ron Paul when it comes to voting from what I can tell so far. Of course, Rep. Warden only has a 1 year record. My guess is after 20-30 years his record will not be as good as Ron Paul's but it looks to be right now so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

If Ron Paul loses, please consider even a $100 donations to Rep. Warden's 2012 reelection. Even that little bit of political activism could make a difference.

cindy25
10-08-2011, 08:37 PM
President Ron Paul should not be followed by President Rand Paul. I can see Rand as a future president. but there has to be a gap. also 2016 is likely to be a big Dem year.

I<3Liberty
02-13-2013, 09:50 PM
I was going to make a new thread for this topic, but found this already existed. I'm wondering what will happen if we get another 2012 situation -- a terrible dem candidate and a terrible republicrat (think wacky moderate like a Santorum-type of guy.) If Gary Johnson runs in 2016 and is nominated the libertarian candidate, which candidate will you back? If we get enough publicity and Gary gets into the debates, would it be worth (in your opinion) supporting him or supporting the "lesser of the two evils."

RonPaulMall
02-13-2013, 10:25 PM
I will support Rand for the GOP nomination. I don't think it is a good idea to nominate Gary on the Libertarian side again. He's a wishy washy "utilitarian" libertarian at best and he's an uninspiring, dull candidate. The only thing he has going for him is the "credential" of being a Governor, but as we saw last time around, that doesn't mean squat because the media will just ignore it. Don't want to sound like I'm bashing Gary too much, because I like him and if I would have voted last time around, he would have got my vote. But I think the LP should go in a new direction. The Judge, Penn Jillette, maybe John Mackey. And baring someone exciting, I'd rather they just nominate a hard core ideologue like Mary Ruwart or Steve Kubby (assuming his health would permit).

sailingaway
02-13-2013, 10:29 PM
I will support Rand for the GOP nomination. I don't think it is a good idea to nominate Gary on the Libertarian side again. He's a wishy washy "utilitarian" libertarian at best and he's an uninspiring, dull candidate. The only thing he has going for him is the "credential" of being a Governor, but as we saw last time around, that doesn't mean squat because the media will just ignore it. Don't want to sound like I'm bashing Gary too much, because I like him and if I would have voted last time around, he would have got my vote. But I think the LP should go in a new direction. The Judge, Penn Jillette, maybe John Mackey. And baring someone exciting, I'd rather they just nominate a hard core ideologue like Mary Ruwart or Steve Kubby (assuming his health would permit).

Me too (rather Mary Ruwart or someone in the scenario discussed above) Maybe if we have a RINO GOP, Ron will run LP :p

I voted for Rand in the poll some time ago, though. Gary doesn't do anything for me.

TheGrinch
02-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Please not again, its enough keeling up with all the crap being slung in rand threads without bringing Gary back into the mix. Let's see what happens the next 3 years for crying out loud.

RonPaulFanInGA
02-13-2013, 10:35 PM
I was going to make a new thread for this topic, but found this already existed.

Since when does that matter when it comes to creating another Rand Paul 2016 poll?

I<3Liberty
02-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Since when does that matter when it comes to creating another Rand Paul 2016 poll?

That's a good point. Maybe making a new poll would be a better idea, but it's a bit early for that. I just wanted to bring up the scenario I mentioned in my previous post. Also, I know some people get annoyed (from experience on other boards) when people make dozens of threads for the same/similar topic.

fr33
02-13-2013, 11:04 PM
I was going to make a new thread for this topic, but found this already existed. I'm wondering what will happen if we get another 2012 situation -- a terrible dem candidate and a terrible republicrat (think wacky moderate like a Santorum-type of guy.) If Gary Johnson runs in 2016 and is nominated the libertarian candidate, which candidate will you back? If we get enough publicity and Gary gets into the debates, would it be worth (in your opinion) supporting him or supporting the "lesser of the two evils."

In that scenario, I'd vote Gary again, but I hope for someone better. Rand will be my choice in the primary but of course your scenario involves that failing.

TheGrinch
02-13-2013, 11:07 PM
That's a good point. Maybe making a new poll would be a better idea, but it's a bit early for that. I just wanted to bring up the scenario I mentioned in my previous post. Also, I know some people get annoyed (from experience on other boards) when people make dozens of threads for the same/similar topic.

Sometimes that goes for bumping too :p