PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Church

RonPaulFanInGA
10-06-2011, 08:19 AM
http://www.webpronews.com/steve-jobs-funeral-to-be-picketed-by-westboro-church-2011-10

wizardwatson
10-06-2011, 08:26 AM
What did Steve Job's family say when he passed away?

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 08:27 AM
As soon as the media quits giving this group its 15 minutes of fame they will go away.

specsaregood
10-06-2011, 08:30 AM
I know I'm just an american and probably don't understand "irony"

Yes, this tweet was sent via Twitter for iPhone. The irony here is almost unbelievable
but, I'm pretty sure that is not irony.

wizardwatson
10-06-2011, 08:31 AM
What did Steve Job's family say when he passed away?

iSad

wizardwatson
10-06-2011, 08:34 AM
As soon as the media quits giving this group its 15 minutes of fame they will go away.

Doubtful. I think they'll go away, or at least won't get the attention, when other people stop hating them. It's the outrage from the targets of their protesting that makes it press worthy.

A Son of Liberty
10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5kjVw.jpg

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Doubtful. I think they'll go away, or at least won't get the attention, when other people stop hating them. It's the outrage from the targets of their protesting that makes it press worthy.

It's a circular problem. Most of the people who hate them wouldn't even know they existed without coverage from the media.

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 08:43 AM

One of the definitions of irony:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irony
3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity

I would say there's an incongruity between attacking the man responsible for the iPhone for not "giving glory to God" and in the process giving glory to the iPhone by using it.

bobbyw24
10-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Signs . . .

http://cdn.ientry.com/sites/webpronews/pictures/godhatessigns_616.jpg

pcosmar
10-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Not unexpected. They see dollar signs.
They will not go away till they can't make a buck off of it.
They get off on suing.

specsaregood
10-06-2011, 08:48 AM
One of the definitions of irony:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irony
3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity

I would say there's an incongruity between attacking the man responsible for the iPhone for not "giving glory to God" and in the process giving glory to the iPhone by using it.

I dunno, that seems like one of those new fangled definitions only added because the word was misused so many times.

wizardwatson
10-06-2011, 08:49 AM
It's a circular problem. Most of the people who hate them wouldn't even know they existed without coverage from the media.

True. I just think people should be more tolerant of them. Instead of having big shows of solidarity against the protest, they should just be more like "its a free country, let them do what they want". When they fight them, or when they get indignant on a spiritual level, they only vindicate Westboro's cause. So yeah, part media problem, part response problem. But I doubt the media will ever fail to mention these guys especially after they got their wish to be in front of the supreme court.

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Not unexpected. They see dollar signs.
They will not go away till they can't make a buck off of it.
They get off on suing.

Mmmmm.....I don't see how they can make a buck off the kinds of lawsuits these protests generate. Not every lawsuit = money for a victorious plaintiff. They probably get donations from a segment of the population that kinda/sorta agrees with them but doesn't have the guts to protest like that.

specsaregood
10-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Mmmmm.....I don't see how they can make a buck off the kinds of lawsuits these protests generate. Not every lawsuit = money for a victorious plaintiff. They probably get donations from a segment of the population that kinda/sorta agrees with them but doesn't have the guts to protest like that.

Except the whole clan are lawyers, like nearly every single one of them. So not much to pay in the way of legal fees. And they can paperwork others into the poorhouse.

wizardwatson
10-06-2011, 08:56 AM

I read their blog somewhat regularly. They absolutely do not accept donations from anyone and when they are sent, they return them. They also don't recruit others. All the money comes from the family's work money. They all have jobs and put most of their money into picketing. They don't need the lawsuits, but obviously they help them financially when they get the opportunity.

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Except the whole clan are lawyers, like nearly every single one of them. So not much to pay in the way of legal fees. And they can paperwork others into the poorhouse.

Okay. But doing pro-bono legal work for yourself doesn't = bringing in cash.

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I read their blog somewhat regularly. They absolutely do not accept donations from anyone and when they are sent, they return them. They also don't recruit others. All the money comes from the family's work money. They all have jobs and put most of their money into picketing. They don't need the lawsuits, but obviously they help them financially when they get the opportunity.

No. These kinds of lawsuits can not help them financially! If you go to the Supreme Court and get a ruling that you can protest on the street, guess what you've gotten? A ruling that you can protest on the street. Not every lawsuit ends up with the winner getting money. To get money you have to be able to show damages. You have to be able to articulate some kind of actual financial harm to win money.

Edit: But you know what does bring them money? People reading their blog somewhat regularly. I've got a friend who makes $2,000 per month on one blog and he doesn't get nearly the attention that Westboro gets.

wizardwatson
10-06-2011, 09:00 AM

They have a family law firm. It's about 3 blocks south from where I'm at right now (at work).

wizardwatson
10-06-2011, 09:03 AM
No. These kinds of lawsuits can not help them financially! If you go to the Supreme Court and get a ruling that you can protest on the street, guess what you've gotten? A ruling that you can protest on the street. Not every lawsuit ends up with the winner getting money. To get money you have to be able to show damages. You have to be able to articulate some kind of actual financial harm to win money.

Well, my memory could be wrong, but I think I've read somewhere where they've gotten awarded money by suing various cities for illegally stopping their protests. Either way, they don't need money from others or from lawsuits, they've been doing this 20+ years so I'm sure its pretty much budgeted for.

specsaregood
10-06-2011, 09:06 AM

They have made a fair amount suing cities for violating their rights. And for lawsuits from physical assaults, etc. It is their bread and butter AFAIK.

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 09:10 AM
They have made a fair amount suing cities for violating their rights. And for lawsuits from physical assaults, etc. It is their bread and butter AFAIK.

I'm sure you believe that. And I'm equally sure that's not true.

Edit: Seems like they've gotten fees awarded the Civil Rights Attorney's Fees Act, but that doesn't even cover their travel expenses. If they're purpose is to make money by losing it then their winning. On the other hand the ad payments they get from folks visiting their blog just to monitor them is free money.

wizardwatson
10-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Edit: But you know what does bring them money? People reading their blog somewhat regularly. I've got a friend who makes $2,000 per month on one blog and he doesn't get nearly the attention that Westboro gets.

Ouch. :( But there blog has no ads.

But admittedly I probably give them too much attention.

wizardwatson
10-06-2011, 09:12 AM

They have sued Topeka before and got money(wikipedia), I'm not sure about elsewhere.

specsaregood
10-06-2011, 09:14 AM

That and their law practice, that is what was implied in the documentary i watched about the family that they participated in filming.
They spend a crapload of money flying everywhere, you are right the money has to be comign from somewhere. Maybe the cia/fbi. :)

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Ouch. :( But there blog has no ads.

But admittedly I probably give them too much attention.

I stand corrected. I wasn't aware of the "civil rights attorney's fees act". Typically taking on these kinds of suits = no money except from the client. And if they don't have ads from their blog then you aren't indirectly funding them. Of course now that cities know they'll lose trying to stop them from protesting then that particular source of funding is gone right? Unless they're getting more legal business just from the fact that they've been able to take a case to the Supreme Court and win.

specsaregood
10-06-2011, 09:24 AM
I stand corrected. I wasn't aware of the "civil rights attorney's fees act". Typically taking on these kinds of suits = no money except from the client. And if they don't have ads from their blog then you aren't indirectly funding them. Of course now that cities know they'll lose trying to stop them from protesting then that particular source of funding is gone right? Unless they're getting more legal business just from the fact that they've been able to take a case to the Supreme Court and win.

Hah, I didn't know if you were being sarcastic. I guess not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Attorney's_Fees_Award_Act_of_1976

Criticism

The Phelps Chartered[1] law firm has collected fees for defending the Westboro Baptist Church, which has picketed at the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as churches, temples, schools and colleges. The principals of Phelps Chartered and the Westboro Baptist Church are many of the same individuals.

jtstellar
10-06-2011, 09:45 AM
how about this thread deserving more responses than the news thread of steve jobs' death. there's nothing in comparison in terms of irony, applied by YOU. he is one of the only ceo who didn't support government propaganda unlike bill gates and sign a bunch of cyber security contracts like google.. yet you probably spend more time talking about that than this person who led by example of honest capitalism. feel shame.

oyarde
10-06-2011, 10:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5kjVw.jpg Am I missing something ? Maybe Margie should tell me what Steve was to do for God that he did not ....

oyarde
10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I would like to see the list of demands for God that Westboro has that S. Jobs failed to meet .

Lucille
10-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Despicable.

Maybe Foo Fighters will do an encore?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e5hRLbCaCs

dannno
10-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Am I missing something ?

Ya, she sent that message from an iphone :D

The Free Hornet
10-06-2011, 12:13 PM
how about this thread deserving more responses than the news thread of steve jobs' death. there's nothing in comparison in terms of irony, applied by YOU. he is one of the only ceo who didn't support government propaganda unlike bill gates and sign a bunch of cyber security contracts like google.. yet you probably spend more time talking about that than this person who led by example of honest capitalism. feel shame.

Apple to 'ban iPhone gig filming' (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3641676/Apple-to-ban-iPhone-gig-filming.html) is a story about Apple's technology to let the powers that be disable the camera (concert organizers, the police (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3641676/Apple-to-ban-iPhone-gig-filming.html), whomever pays I guess). Even if it was just for concerts, IP as pertains to copyrights is a government protected monopoly and they have a perverse incentive to maintain that power, the same as all the rest. Look at the Apple lawsuits over other touch and smart phone devices to prevent their importation into other countries. That is not "honest capitalism". There might be other examples and I will grant that the Constitution includes "Writings and Discoveries" but that does not make it capitalism.

I suspect Apple is/was better than either Google or Microsoft but this is not a battle where any side walks away with clean hands.

The Free Hornet
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Please see here regarding smart phones and patents (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/08/17/139723088/the-smartphone-patent-war-in-1-graph). The patent system is a corrupt joke that crowds out the little guy. IMO, two reforms would be dramatically reducing the number of patents granted by a factor of 100 (remove all software, business methods, variations on theme) and having mandatory licensing mediated by third parites if necessary. This is not the government mandating that technology be licensed. This is the government saying if you want us to protect it then you play nice with each other (cut the trial lawyers out as much as possible).

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Please see here regarding smart phones and patents (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/08/17/139723088/the-smartphone-patent-war-in-1-graph). The patent system is a corrupt joke that crowds out the little guy. IMO, two reforms would be dramatically reducing the number of patents granted by a factor of 100 (remove all software, business methods, variations on theme) and having mandatory licensing mediated by third parites if necessary. This is not the government mandating that technology be licensed. This is the government saying if you want us to protect it then you play nice with each other (cut the trial lawyers out as much as possible).

Yeah. Steve Jobs wasn't really a free marketeer.

AGRP
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Is it just me or are they in an odd way becoming a way of saying you really made it when they show up to a funeral?

I'm thinking about inviting them to mine.

dannno
10-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Do these people protest on Sunday? Is that against the Sabath? Maybe they can move the funeral to a Sunday, or at least all famous gay people or whoever supporst them who die can have their funerals on Sunday.

sirgonzo420
10-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Hah, I didn't know if you were being sarcastic. I guess not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Attorney's_Fees_Award_Act_of_1976

Don'tcha love attorneys?

PaulConventionWV
10-06-2011, 12:46 PM

No, it is. What's your definition?

PaulConventionWV
10-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Does AFAIK mean "and for all I know"? Because it doesn't really fit at the END of a sentence, or even in the middle if it doesn't have the proper grammatical cues.

sirgonzo420
10-06-2011, 12:55 PM
No, it is. What's your definition?

Sorry to interject for specs, but if you are familiar with Alanis Morissette's song "Ironic", none of the situations described in the song are "ironic", which makes the title of the song ironic.

The songwriter is either stupid or smart.

lol

dannno
10-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Does AFAIK mean "and for all I know"? Because it doesn't really fit at the END of a sentence, or even in the middle if it doesn't have the proper grammatical cues.

Nah, it means "as far as I know" which can be put at the end of a sentence, as far as I know.

PaulConventionWV
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Is it just me or are they in an odd way becoming a way of saying you really made it when they show up to a funeral?

I'm thinking about inviting them to mine.

No, I don't think those soldiers are really the epitome of success. Not to put them down, but I wouldn't say being killed in a war for the government is "making it."

PaulConventionWV
10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Nah, it means "as far as I know" which can be put at the end of a sentence, as far as I know.

Oh, my bad. I'm not really up on internet language, so that's the first thing that came to my mind. I guess I was wrong.

dannno
10-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Sorry to interject for specs, but if you are familiar with Alanis Morissette's song "Ironic", none of the situations described in the song are "ironic", which makes the title of the song ironic.

Let's test that.

A situation is often said to be ironic (situational irony) if the actions taken have an effect exactly opposite from what was intended.

First lyric:

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day

The intended effect of winning the lottery is to then have a great life and be able to spend the money that you got. Winning the lottery the day before you die, especially assuming you have been playing your whole life means you never get to spend any of the money on yourself, which could be said to be the opposite of the intended effect.

Another lyric:

It's a death row pardon two minutes too late

The intended effect of a pardon would be to get out of jail, but this person who got pardoned too late ended up getting the death penalty, the opposite of the intended effect.

Not sure if all the lyrics are ironic, but I would argue that there is some situational irony described in the songs.

dannno
10-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Oh, my bad. I'm not really up on internet language, so that's the first thing that came to my mind. I guess I was wrong.

It's ok, just try and remember that google is your friend when it comes to these things.

Jtorsella
10-06-2011, 01:22 PM
This REALLY enforces my dislike of organized religion.

dannno
10-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Well I wouldn't let one little sect of religion tarnish all of them, although I tend to agree with your sentiment.

You should check out the film "Red State", however, it's a new Kevin Smith film. Excellent.

specsaregood
10-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Let's test that.
First lyric:
The intended effect of winning the lottery is to then have a great life and be able to spend the money that you got. Winning the lottery the day before you die, especially assuming you have been playing your whole life means you never get to spend any of the money on yourself, which could be said to be the opposite of the intended effect.

No, the intended effect is getting rich. Irony would be more like he gets rich and creditors find him because of it and he ends up in debt all because of winning the lottery. That lyric is just coincidence, not irony.

Another lyric:
The intended effect of a pardon would be to get out of jail, but this person who got pardoned too late ended up getting the death penalty, the opposite of the intended effect.

Not, that is coincidence as well. irony would be him getting pardoned and walking outside the jail and a piano falling on him killing him. or even better being electrocuted to death in the process of being freed.

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Actually it all makes me laugh. The antiwar movement has been so neutered by "we can't be like the Vietnam protestors" syndrome that its left a vacuum by right wing nuts who aren't so much anti war as they are anti gay. Same for the anti corportist movement. Think about it. Steve Jobs' partner Steve Wozniak boldly announces that humans are going to become little more than "pets", Apple and DAPRA work together to develop the equivalent of SkyNet, Apple runs a virtual slave labor factory where people routinely were committing suicide, and yet people on the right and left were treating Apple as some sort of "virtuous freedom loving" company. Steve Jobs gooood....Bill Gates baaaaad. That nonsense has even been infecting RPF. I love the story of Apple and think Jobs did a lot of good things. But this "St. Jobs" stuff was getting old. The same left wing shills ready to behead anyone making over $100 mill per year would give Stevie an exception because "Apple is so cool"!

AbVag
10-06-2011, 03:49 PM

That's ok. I keep looking at AFAIK expecting a duck to come by selling insurance.

AbVag
10-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Two things:

1) Is this the true test that someone has made something out of their lives? That your life has no meaning until the WBC protest you? You know, in the way a music artist hasn't truly made it in the industry until Weird Al Yankovic parodies one of their songs. No offense to Weird Al. :)

2) How soon do I expect these idiots to protest Jobs by picketing at an iHop?

oyarde
10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Well , if there is ever an anti Westboro Baptist group to picket them , I may consider a donation ....

Fox McCloud
10-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't get it---Why Steve Jobs?

There's millions of people who die, every year, that aren't saved....why picket at Steve Job's funeral?

These guys need to just go away >>

specsaregood
10-07-2011, 11:04 AM
There's millions of people who die, every year, that aren't saved....why picket at Steve Job's funeral?

Because this event is sure to draw TONS of media and onlookers.

dannno
10-07-2011, 11:09 AM
No, the intended effect is getting rich. Irony would be more like he gets rich and creditors find him because of it and he ends up in debt all because of winning the lottery. That lyric is just coincidence, not irony.

Not, that is coincidence as well. irony would be him getting pardoned and walking outside the jail and a piano falling on him killing him. or even better being electrocuted to death in the process of being freed.

It's really ironic how fascist some people are with this term.

specsaregood
10-07-2011, 11:12 AM
It's really ironic how fascist some people are with this term.

It is ok, americans generally don't understand irony. The british seem to have it in their genes. I've struggled with it myself.

dannno
10-07-2011, 11:29 AM
It is ok, americans generally don't understand irony. The british seem to have it in their genes. I've struggled with it myself.

lol, that was the wrong response.

You were supposed to say, "No it isn't!! :mad:"

http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/shared/downloads/images/season-6/608/608_img-03.jpg?width=320

specsaregood
10-07-2011, 11:45 AM
lol, that was the wrong response.
You were supposed to say, "No it isn't!! :mad:"

perhaps I was too subtle then. :)

low preference guy
10-14-2011, 04:46 PM

idiocy?

low preference guy
10-14-2011, 04:47 PM

The songwriter is either stupid or smart.

lol

many artists don't have brains

Revolution9
10-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Let's test that.

First lyric:

Another lyric:

Not sure if all the lyrics are ironic, but I would argue that there is some situational irony described in the songs.

Hy. He died a winner and proven not guilty. His memory will live on unblemished and legend-like.

rev9

Revolution9
10-14-2011, 06:02 PM
It's ok, just try and remember that google is your friend when it comes to these things.

Not always. I tried "<3" for a translation into english but was stymied.

Rev9

Revolution9
10-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Actually it all makes me laugh. The antiwar movement has been so neutered by "we can't be like the Vietnam protestors" syndrome that its left a vacuum by right wing nuts who aren't so much anti war as they are anti gay. Same for the anti corportist movement. Think about it. Steve Jobs' partner Steve Wozniak boldly announces that humans are going to become little more than "pets", Apple and DAPRA work together to develop the equivalent of SkyNet, Apple runs a virtual slave labor factory where people routinely were committing suicide, and yet people on the right and left were treating Apple as some sort of "virtuous freedom loving" company. Steve Jobs gooood....Bill Gates baaaaad. That nonsense has even been infecting RPF. I love the story of Apple and think Jobs did a lot of good things. But this "St. Jobs" stuff was getting old. The same left wing shills ready to behead anyone making over $100 mill per year would give Stevie an exception because "Apple is so cool"!

I make money with Apple. Using MS products cost me 8500USD in losses last year when three months of AI programming bit the dust due to a "windows error" that corrupted the file. I have used Apple since 1992 and never had a corrupted file.

And Bill Gates..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EFlhBYwLbf8

Jobs donation to health and medicine was setting up an organ bank that anybody, regardless of income can access. Why artists like him? He admits using LSD and says it was one of the most important experiences of his life. It shows in his work.

rev9

Revolution9
10-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Steve never said anything about religion AFAIK. How can one assume anything because it is not worn on the cuff. Now these westboro clowns. They wear it on their sleeve. It is embroidered" Satan's Pet".

Rev9

Voluntary Man
10-14-2011, 06:40 PM
how does this help them? i don't get it.

sparebulb
10-14-2011, 10:15 PM
I have long thought that the WBC bunch is some sort of government psy-op. The goals of which, I'm not sure. To demonize religion or protesters in general, I don't know. But they sure do get the sheeple to rally around the flag for some meaningless false patriotism and a domestic enemy to hate.