PDA

View Full Version : Presidential candidates asked to address NH House - Paul declines

Keith and stuff
10-05-2011, 11:16 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NH_GOP_CANDIDATES_LAWMAKERS_NHOL-?SITE=NHCON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Oct 5, 5:27 PM EDT

GOP presidential candidates to address NH House

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- New Hampshire's House lawmakers will hear from at least five Republican presidential hopefuls.

House Speaker William O'Brien says he's invited all the candidate to address lawmakers during the Oct. 12 session. So far, Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Gary Johnson and Rick Santorum have accepted the invitation. Rick Perry, Jon Huntsman and Ron Paul declined, and the speaker's office is still waiting to hear from Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama.

The candidates will be in the state a day earlier for a debate at Dartmouth College.

Anyone know why or want to guess why Ron Paul declined? If he is using the time to practice for the debate, I'm all for that. Otherwise, it would have been interesting had he gone. Ron Paul was the keynote for a NH House Republican fundraising event that I attended earlier this year.

TheTexan
10-05-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm sure he has a good reason for it. I wouldn't worry about it.

realtonygoodwin
10-05-2011, 11:19 PM
I am not sure about the campaign strategy lately. Turning down a chance to speak to a group of people who aren't already supporters doesn't make sense, unless the campaign has written off NH. On the other hand, all the people who declined are the ones doing best there in the polls.

Oddone
10-05-2011, 11:20 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?320769-Huh-I-guess-Ron-s-busy-Oct-12

Already posted - None of the "top tier" will be there..

Paul4Prez
10-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Looks like all the top tier guys are skipping it. Ron Paul is top tier.

HOLLYWOOD
10-06-2011, 12:46 AM
I am not sure about the campaign strategy lately. Turning down a chance to speak to a group of people who aren't already supporters doesn't make sense, unless the campaign has written off NH. On the other hand, all the people who declined are the ones doing best there in the polls.especially when you're BLACKED-OUT by MSM... don't you think you want more visibility especially to the above 50+ crowd that stay glued to their TVs which pick TV candidates like they did with McCain.

Ron won ONE precinct in New Hampshire in 2008.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mzcmdr/New_Hampshire_GOP_Results_2008.png

TheTexan
10-06-2011, 12:58 AM
There may be an opportunity cost to speaking there on that day. ie, he may have other plans.

Keith and stuff
10-06-2011, 01:26 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mzcmdr/New_Hampshire_GOP_Results_2008.png

That precinct map of NH is wrong as precincts / districts don't necessarily correspond to municipal / town / city boundaries in NH. For example, in Keene there are 5 wards so there are 5 precincts / districts.

Tinnuhana
10-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Why not just ask the campaign? :toady:

michaelkellenger
10-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Herman Cain is top tier currently and is attending (which is funny considering people say he has stopped campaigning for a month to dismiss him, clearly he has not).

Elfshadow
10-06-2011, 03:41 AM
They probably allready have other plans.

eduardo89
10-06-2011, 04:58 AM
Where they all invited to speak on the same day? If so, I'd say no.

I wonder if Ron could get a day to himself with the NH House?

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Herman Cain isn't really what I would call "top-tier." People are just so indecisive at this point with their selections, they're flip-flopping and playing political musical chairs as they see and learn more from each candidate. I feel Ron Paul has something bigger planned, the closer we get to the primary and presidential elections themselves. Despite his stance on incremental-ism, he uses incremental-ism to his advantage--in regards to the impact of the ideas he conveys to the public.

V3n
10-06-2011, 08:04 AM
The campaign hinted at some radical new tour coming up, or something like that.. when I find the quote I'll post it - sounds like he's going to get REAL busy real fast!

sailingaway
10-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Cain is going to be at the debate the night before.

I think Ron is planning something in Iowa, I don't know if this date falls into that time period. I'm sure he has something going on, or he'd be there. He didn't just not respond yet, as if he wasn't sure if his schedule would allow, he said no.

Article V
10-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Jon Huntsman has put all his eggs in the NH basket; so if he declined this invitation, then I can't imagine an appearance there is that big of a deal.

...but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.

RonPaul101.com
10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Herman Cain is top tier currently and is attending (which is funny considering people say he has stopped campaigning for a month to dismiss him, clearly he has not).

I really think Herman Cain is an establishment experiment at this point. The whole world knows he'll endorse Romney, and the establishment needs Romney to have some kind of southern connection, so with nothing better at hand, they push Cain for a while, hoping that his once upon a time high polling numbers will eventually give validity to his endorsement of Romney. It won't help Romney in the south, not enough. And the establishment that is propping up Cain now, will help take him down when they deem the timing appropriate. They know Obama would beat Cain in the general.

Johncjackson
10-06-2011, 08:49 AM
If Ron Paul is top tier, Herman Cain is- at least on a national level. NH is a little different, though.

Keith and stuff
10-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Jon Huntsman has put all his eggs in the NH basket; so if he declined this invitation, then I can't imagine an appearance there is that big of a deal.

...but I've been wrong before and will be wrong again.

Jon Huntsman is known as the most RINO person running in the NH GOP Primary out of all of the 10 or so people (there are plenty others running) running with national name recognition. He tends to be big government on most issues but is against continued war. My guess is that none of the currently elected GOP state reps support him unless he is paying them to support him. Additionally, I think this event might be held near the time the NH House is in session so the audience might include the Democrat reps. The only reps I could imagine clapping for Jon is the Democrat reps. If many/most of the Democrat reps clapped for him and none of the GOP reps did and it was recorded and pointed out by the MSM, Jon's campaign would likely be completely over.