PDA

View Full Version : MI-Remember that little girl that was shot and killed by SWAT cops in Detroit?

Anti Federalist
10-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Detroit police officer charged in shooting death of Aiyana Stanley-Jones, 7, during raid

http://www.freep.com/article/20111004/NEWS01/111004022/Detroit-police-officer-charged-shooting-death-Aiyana-Stanley-Jones-7-during-raid?odyssey=nav|head

Detroit Police Officer Joseph Weekley has been arraigned on an indictment on charges of involuntary manslaughter and careless and reckless discharge of a firearm causing death in the May 2010 slaying of Aiyana Stanley-Jones during a raid.

Also charged in an indictment is Allison Howard, 42, of Boston. She is charged with perjury and obstruction of justice. Wayne County prosecutors said Howard was a photographer with “The First 48,” which had a crew following the Special Response Team the night of the raid.

Weekley and Howard will be back in court Friday for a pretrial hearing before Judge Cynthia Gray Hathaway.

Assistant prosecutor Robert Moran told the court that she lied during the investigative subpoena, adding seven months onto the investigation into the shooting by Michigan State Police.

But her lawyer, Robert Harrison, said she will be cleared.

"This is just a horrible thing when she was just doing her job," he said. "This is just a terrible, awful kind of circumstance that shouldn't happen and it will be corrected."

She's a 15-year, highly respected veteran of video production, he said.

Worthy said she couldn’t comment on the indictments of Weekley and Howard.

The two were arraigned before Wayne County Circuit Judge Margie Braxton.

Charles Jones, Aiyana’s father, was arrested today and is facing at least 5 charges: First–degree murder, felon in possession of a firearm, felony firearm, habitual fourth offense and perjury at a court proceeding in the shooting of Je’Rean Blake, a teen killed two days before the raid, Worthy said.

He is to be arraigned in 36th District Court Wednesday.

Also charged in Blake’s murder is Chauncey Owens, who admitted to killing the 17-year-old and had agreed to testify that Charles Jones gave him the gun he used in the shooting after Blake gave him a dirty look.

Owens had been the target of the raid on the Lillibridge home on the city’s east side.

Weekley fatally shot Aiyana on May 16, 2010, when police entered the home searching for a shooting suspect. The police were accompanied by the camera crew filming a reality-style cable TV show.

Police sources previously told the Free Press that, during the raid, Weekley was first through the door and that the girl’s grandmother, Mertilla Jones, tried to grab his gun, which fired and hit Aiyana. Jones has denied this accusation.

Steve Fishman, Weekley’s attorney, said Weekley didn’t do anything criminal.

“He knows he didn’t do anything wrong,” Fishman said. “He knows he was acting as a police officer on a dangerous mission.”

In March, the prosecutor’s office received a warrant request from the Michigan State police, which investigated the shooting.

The Stanley-Jones family lawyer Geoffrey Fieger said he is still concerned about a recording of the shooting that he was shown that is different than one made by a camera crew from television reality show “The First 48.” That second video has not been located since it was privately shown to Fieger.

"All I know is that the (missing) video is pretty dramatic,” he said. “You can see the gunman shooting into the house from the outside.”

The video that police have “is very different,” he said. “It doesn’t show a thing.”

Fieger contends the shot came from outside of the house and struck Aiyana while she was sleeping with her grandmother on a living room couch.

The Michigan State Police conducted a 10-month investigation into Aiyana's killing, and in March submitted a warrant request to prosecutors.

An independent autopsy contradicted initial reports that Aiyana was shot through the neck. Macomb County Medical Examiner Daniel Spitz determined that the shot struck Aiyana in the top of the head and the bullet exited through her neck.
Bing: Use this difficult moment to bring community, police together

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing released a statement today: "We respect the legal process regarding this tragic incident. Our condolences remain with all affected by this tragedy. On behalf of Chief Godbee and all of members of the Detroit Police Department, we must use this difficult moment to continue bringing our community and police department together."

Godbee also released a statement: "Regarding the duty status of Police Officer Joseph Weekley, I will forward this matter to the Board of Police Commissioners for review pursuant to the Detroit Police Department policy."

The mayor’s office said there will be no further comments because of the pending cases.

sparebulb
10-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Coverup is nearly complete.

They were 95% of the way there when they didn't charge the cop with murder.

pcosmar
10-05-2011, 07:27 PM
The little girl is dead. Shot in the head then burned by an incendiary device, but no one did anything wrong.

:mad:

Anti Federalist
10-05-2011, 07:28 PM
The little girl is dead. Shot in the head then burned by an incendiary device, but no one did anything wrong.

All while the TV cameras rolled for ratings.

Bet the mob would have cheered had they aired the footage.

pcosmar
10-05-2011, 07:33 PM
All while the TV cameras rolled for ratings.

Bet the mob would have cheered had they aired the footage.

They do when kids are blown up elsewhere.

Carehn
10-05-2011, 07:35 PM
They do when kids are blown up elsewhere.

True, true.

aGameOfThrones
10-05-2011, 08:22 PM

Yup...

“He knows he didn’t do anything wrong,” Fishman said. “He knows he was acting as a police officer on a dangerous mission.”

flightlesskiwi
10-05-2011, 08:46 PM
various reactions of the "crowd":

killing = elation

death = fear

amy31416
10-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Why did the Rodney King beating inspire riots, but this barely gets a whisper?

Pericles
10-05-2011, 10:24 PM

At the time, that was considered to be outside the norm, rather than the beginning of a trend.

amy31416
10-05-2011, 10:26 PM
At the time, that was considered to be outside the norm, rather than the beginning of a trend.

So now killing a little girl is "inside" the norm?

Pericles
10-05-2011, 10:33 PM
So now killing a little girl is "inside" the norm?

Seems to be for those afflicted with SWAT syndrome.

Anti Federalist
10-05-2011, 11:07 PM

Yes, that.

We've become much more institutionalized in the last, what's it been, 20 years now since Rodney King?

Hell, they executed Oscar Grant, in front of a hundred witnesses, and he hadn't even done anything wrong.

Nobody even blinked.

Now the Executive claims the unilateral right to incinerate a US citizen, on his say so alone.

I swear, people have become so clueless, doped up and numbed, government could fire up a mass crematorium right next door, and these people wouldn't say a word.

Philhelm
10-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Seems to be for those afflicted with SWAT syndrome.

Shitheads With Aggressive Tendencies?
Shooting Women And Toddlers?

heavenlyboy34
10-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Yes, that.

We've become much more institutionalized in the last, what's it been, 20 years now since Rodney King?

Hell, they executed Oscar Grant, in front of a hundred witnesses, and he hadn't even done anything wrong.

Nobody even blinked.

Now the Executive claims the unilateral right to incinerate a US citizen, on his say so alone.

I swear, people have become so clueless, doped up and numbed, government could fire up a mass crematorium right next door, and these people wouldn't say a word.Aye, sad but true. :(

Pericles
10-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Shitheads With Aggressive Tendencies?
Shooting Women And Toddlers?

+rep for you

fatjohn
10-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Because the west is mind controlled by TPTB, the sheep will rally when they want the sheep to rally.

ghengis86
10-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Nobody even blinked.

Not that it did anything, but there were multiple protests in the Oscar Grant case. Apparently them masses think our rulers care about a bunch of people gathering a yelling about murder.

Anti Federalist
10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Not that it did anything, but there were multiple protests in the Oscar Grant case. Apparently them masses think our rulers care about a bunch of people gathering a yelling about murder.

You are right, there were some protests, that were never widely reported, that nobody cared about and that were forgotten in a month.

There were certainly no LA size riots.

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Yes, that.

Nobody even blinked.

I swear, people have become so clueless, doped up and numbed, government could fire up a mass crematorium right next door, and these people wouldn't say a word.

It's worse than that. Now they're trying to give people life sentences for video taping the cops in the first place. And shows like "COPS." and "America's Most Wanted" have done a lot to acclimate the general public to the "reality" that a police state is "good". Really this "reality show" by its very existence is/(was hopefully?) part of the problem.

amy31416
10-06-2011, 11:21 AM
It's worse than that. Now they're trying to give people life sentences for video taping the cops in the first place. And shows like "COPS." and "America's Most Wanted" have done a lot to acclimate the general public to the "reality" that a police state is "good". Really this "reality show" by its very existence is/(was hopefully?) part of the problem.

Not to mention "24'"s acclimating people to torture, assassination and how evil the brown Muslims are.

Why are most of these (exceedingly blatant) shows on Fox? (Sort of a rhetorical question.)

jmdrake
10-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Not to mention "24'"s acclimating people to torture, assassination and how evil the brown Muslims are.

Why are most of these (exceedingly blatant) shows on Fox? (Sort of a rhetorical question.)

Yeah. 24, being fiction, is like "This is what we could and/or should be doing to keep you safe so you'd better like it." COPS and AMW are "this is what we are doing and you'd better like it because it's the new normal". And yeah, Fox sucks. Am I the only one that notices that the most "conservative" new network is also the one with the most anti-family programming? Really conservatives will get riled up to protest Disney but they never say anything about Fox carrying "Family Guy"? :confused:

amy31416
10-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah. 24, being fiction, is like "This is what we could and/or should be doing to keep you safe so you'd better like it." COPS and AMW are "this is what we are doing and you'd better like it because it's the new normal". And yeah, Fox sucks. Am I the only one that notices that the most "conservative" new network is also the one with the most anti-family programming? Really conservatives will get riled up to protest Disney but they never say anything about Fox carrying "Family Guy"? :confused:

I thought about that other aspect too, not to even mention how they air plenty of tabloid trash shows.

Anti Federalist
09-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Bumpage

youngbuck
09-25-2012, 01:33 PM
And how much time will this pig serve? Maybe a year? I think judges need to start being charged because of their nonchalant signing of warrants. Then charge all the cops in supervisory roles that should verify whether the house is correct, and whether it's absolutely necessary for a no-kock raid by a bunch of goons.

heavenlyboy34
09-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Yes, that.

Nobody even blinked.

The Nazi Germany analogy is generally not appropriate and in poor taste (and often fallacious), but I think it's more appropriate every day to call it an analog of Amerika. :(

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Bumpage

Did something new happen? I missed this whole thing.

As far as police work being entertainment, it's obviously bullshit. - Especially COPS and Dallas Swat and anything of that ilk. However, this show involved here... "The First 48" never has cases without murder victims. It is only in the last few years that america's Most Wanted has started deciding drug cases are ok.

Regardless of root causes, I maintain respect for homicide detectives. I don't think I've ever seen a no knock raid on that show, either, and I watch a lot of it. So I guess they have them sometimes, but they're very rare. "The First 48" is actually a show full of good cops as far as I can tell.

libertyjam
09-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Yes, that.

Nobody even blinked.

While looking to refresh my memory on who Oscar Grant was, I found out that his best friend who was with him has been shot and killed, and his cousin has also been shot in he back by Oakland PD.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Oscar-Grant-s-best-friend-is-shot-killed-2354322.php
http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Oscar-Grant-s-cousin-shot-by-Oakland-police-3351220.php

XNavyNuke
10-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Update:

Weekley judge drops involuntary manslaughter charge (http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2014/10/03/weekley-judge-may-drop-involuntary-manslaughter-charge/16641015/)

Throwing the sheepdog a bone.

Weekley was accused of the felony after he led the May 2010 police raid that resulted in the shooting death of 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones.

Wayne Circuit Judge Cynthia Gray-Hathaway agreed with Weekley's attorney, Steve Fishman, that the jury instructions say in order to find him guilty of involuntary manslaughter, there has to be evidence he willfully put Aiyana in harm's way.

Fishman asked for a directed verdict on the involuntary manslaughter charge, which essentially means throwing out the charge. The judge granted the motion, but after Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Robert Moran objected on grounds that it should be up to the jury to decide whether Weekley acted willfully, she stayed her decision to allow prosecutors to file an emergency appeal with the state appellate court.

XNN

phill4paul
10-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Update:

Weekley judge drops involuntary manslaughter charge (http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2014/10/03/weekley-judge-may-drop-involuntary-manslaughter-charge/16641015/)

Throwing the sheepdog a bone.

XNN

I'd say entering a residence with a weapon in a ready fire position fits the definition of "willful."

satchelmcqueen
10-03-2014, 07:25 PM
if anyone ever kills my kids, especially in a botched raid or whatever, i WILL get my revenge. i promise that.

phill4paul
10-03-2014, 07:28 PM
if anyone ever kills my kids, especially in a botched raid or whatever, i WILL get my revenge. i promise that.

One year and one day, o maybe one week, or maybe one month. Just enough to throw the blood hounds off the scent.

XNavyNuke
10-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Jack Hinson

http://image1.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2009/111/36177684_124041995311.jpg

XNN

Anti Federalist
10-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Weekley was accused of the felony after he led the May 2010 police raid that resulted in the shooting death of 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones.

Wayne Circuit Judge Cynthia Gray-Hathaway agreed with Weekley's attorney, Steve Fishman, that the jury instructions say in order to find him guilty of involuntary manslaughter, there has to be evidence he willfully put Aiyana in harm's way.

Fishman asked for a directed verdict on the involuntary manslaughter charge, which essentially means throwing out the charge. The judge granted the motion, but after Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Robert Moran objected on grounds that it should be up to the jury to decide whether Weekley acted willfully, she stayed her decision to allow prosecutors to file an emergency appeal with the state appellate court.

Sooooo, he skates?

Wonder who that asshole judge is fucking in the cop department?

phill4paul
10-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Sooooo, he skates?

Wonder who that asshole judge is fucking in the cop department?

It is known to happen. Copsuckers.

JK/SEA
10-03-2014, 11:35 PM
looks like the judge bailed out and kicked it to another court?...

GunnyFreedom
10-03-2014, 11:43 PM
looks like the judge bailed out and kicked it to another court?...

more like the judge bailed out and the prosecutor called her on it so she was forced to kick it to an appeals court instead of finding him not guilty or dropping the charges altogether.

so mad i could spit

Spikender
10-04-2014, 01:53 AM
Three years since his crime and he is going to be walking.

Could've solved this three days after it happened with a nine and a dark alley.

I love how the excuse of a "dangerous mission" is always used for the police for the longest time. They are armed to the teeth with fellow goons all around them with armored strapped onto them and magazines to spare, none of them are in danger.

The real people in danger are the people who get in their way when their on the hunt like a pack of blood-crazed dogs. Aiyana Stanley-Jones is just another victim and there will be no justice.