PDA

View Full Version : Obama has solved the drunk driving problem

FrankRep
10-05-2011, 08:50 AM
People can't afford to go out!

CDC: Self-reported drunk driving is down (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MED_DRUNK_DRIVING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-04-13-26-45)

Associated Press
Oct 4, 2011

ATLANTA (AP) -- Drunken driving incidents have fallen 30 percent in the last five years, and last year were at their lowest mark in nearly two decades, according to a new federal report.

The decline may be due to the down economy: Other research suggests people are still drinking as heavily as in years past, so some may just be finding cheaper ways of imbibing than by going to bars, night clubs and restaurants.

Krugerrand
10-05-2011, 08:54 AM
In other news, municipalities are finding their coffers shrinking as they find themselves unable to write citations for drunk driving. Many are calling for lowering the legal blood alcohol limit to help fill their funding gaps.

phill4paul
10-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Will this become ANOTHER civil responsibility vs. personal liberties EPIC thread? Stay tuned......

specsaregood
10-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Will this become ANOTHER civil responsibility vs. personal liberties EPIC thread? Stay tuned......

I'm still rather upset that you can't legally create 'shine for personal consumption without going afoul of the law.

oyarde
10-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Obama is just rude and uncivilized , now he wants my credit issuers to be able to call me on my cell while I am busy drinking and driving :)

Valli6
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Other research suggests people are still drinking as heavily as in years past, so some may just be finding cheaper ways of imbibing than by going to bars, night clubs and restaurants.
Also it's become illegal to smoke in those places, so that's another reason to drink at home.

Krugerrand
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
I got hung up on that "self-reported" thing and had to look further:

The CDC statistics - released Tuesday - are based on a 2010 national telephone survey of about 210,000 U.S. adults. The respondents were kept anonymous.

Nearly 1 in 50 said they'd driven drunk at least once in the previous month. That equates to about 4 million Americans driving drunk last year.

About 60 percent said they drove drunk just once, but some said they did it daily.

That led to a CDC estimate of more than 112 million episodes of drunk driving in 2010. That's more than 300,000 incidents a day.

What moron would answer a telephone survey and admit to breaking the law? Maybe the drop is just people wising up to not incriminate themselves to strangers.

wannaberocker
10-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Should we also say that Obama has done more to clean up the planet than anyone else. I mean think about it, more people out of work = No driving to work = Less cars on the roads.

oyarde
10-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Should we also say that Obama has done more to clean up the planet than anyone else. I mean think about it, more people out of work = No driving to work = Less cars on the roads. Very little illegal immigration , no jobs for them ....