PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul op-ed in Courier Journal: Emergency bridge funds

jct74
10-05-2011, 03:28 AM
Rand Paul | Emergency bridge funds
6:23 PM, Oct. 3, 2011

Our nation’s bridges are aging, crumbling and even sometimes falling down. Once again, the problem isn’t a lack of money; it’s that too often government doesn’t work.

While bridges and roads sit in disrepair, the federal government spends time and money mandating highway funds to go to “beautification projects,” pork-barrel vanity projects and bureaucratic waste. More insultingly, we are sending billions in foreign welfare, and spending hundreds of billions blowing up and rebuilding infrastructure in far-off countries.

I believe we should focus on our rebuilding efforts at home, so I have made our bridge problem a priority in Washington. Soon after the Sherman Minton Bridge had been closed, I asked U.S. Federal Highway Administrator Victor Mendez two questions on an emergency briefing call: Is there an emergency fund for fixing bridges? And, is there a national priority list for bridges that need to be repaired or replaced?

Read more:
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20111004/OPINION04/310040025/Rand-Paul-Emergency-bridge-funds?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CHome%7Cs