PDA

View Full Version : "The Post-Christie, Not-Insane, Not-Romney Option: Ron Paul" - ESQUIRE Magazine

KramerDSP
10-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Charles Pierce of Esquire magazine just posted this article with an incredible title:

"The Post-Christie, Not-Insane, Not-Romney Option: Ron Paul." (http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/why-not-ron-paul-6505020)

So, anyway, in the immortal words of Charlie Rich, who will the next fool be?

I'm not kidding, this is getting tiresome. Every couple of weeks, there's a new great Republican hope come down to save us from the previous great Republican hope, who has proven to have feet of clay, a head of mush and, in the tragic case of Rick Perry, truly terrible taste in picking vacation spots. At least this time around we were spared the sight of Chris Christie in his first debate in that horrible moment that comes upon any new Republican candidate when that candidate realizes he is on stage for the weekly talent show down at the Nervous Hospital. I saw it in Rick Perry's eyes — that flash of insight that says, "Who is this crazy woman yelling at me about vaccines? How did I get here?" Once he realized where he was, and with whom, he never stood a chance. I'm not entirely sure Christie could have handled it at all. There would have been great bellowing, and furniture tossing.

So I think they're out of them now, unless there's a renewed stirring in the loins of Indiana's Mitch Daniels, who was once George W. Bush's budget director and the federal budget was not the only area in which he came up a little short. (Bada-bing! Why should poor Christie get all the morphology humor?) You will be able to tell if this is the case if you walk by the house of David Brooks and hear a cold shower running for several hours. Brooks, and a host of others, were pitching Daniels as the Not Insane, Not Romney alternative long before somebody considered Perry for the spot, and even longer before Christie's name surfaced at all. Alas, Daniels had a number of good reasons not to run — and at least one very funky one — and is unlikely to change his mind now, after seeing Perry get barbecued the way he has. Which leaves us with the current field and an obvious question that nobody wants to answer.

Why not Ron Paul?

By any empirical measure, he is worthy of being treated like a serious contender. He has run well in the preliminary contests so far. (C'mon, the winners were La Bachmann and Herman Cain, and neither of them have any more chance of being president than Casey Anthony does.) He has raised a formidable amount of money, which now looks like the only reason anyone ever took Rick Perry seriously. He has a devoted base of support within the party, and a substantial one outside of it, neither of which Mitt Romney has. His positions on the issues are, well, eccentric is too kind a word, but look at this field. His views on the Fed, or his isolationish foreign-policy notions, or even his market-based solutions to problems like giant oil pipelines that explode, are no further into the Land of Whackadoodle than are Cain's "9-9-9" tax plan, or Bachmann's views on church and state, or Newt Gingrich's image of himself.

Quite simply, if Ron Paul's views on fiscal policy were just a touch less retrograde, if his foreign policy didn't owe quite so much to Charles Lindbergh, and if so many of his followers didn't wear dreadlocks, Paul would have Chuck Todd camped on his front lawn until Christmas. Why he's still considered to be a fringe passenger on this big ship of fools becomes more of a mystery every day.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/why-not-ron-paul-6505020#ixzz1Zr1eaV4Q

sailingaway
10-04-2011, 04:20 PM
I like the title!!

Now to check out the article....

--

edit - why do these people not have a 'share with twitter' button?

D.A.S.
10-04-2011, 04:25 PM
The title is probably the best thing about this article, which is unusual. The body of the article is misguided and a bit of slap in the face... Not terrible, but not great either.

klamath
10-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately this is the kind of supporters RP HAS to pick up in order to break out of the 6 to 10% range. The majority of the votes RP would receive if he was ever to win would be exacly like this guy. They aren't going to be fire breathing paulites but just barely convinced to pull the lever for RP.

beardedlinen
10-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Unfortunately this is the kind of supporters RP HAS to pick up in order to break out of the 6 to 10% range. The majority of the votes RP would receive if he was ever to win would be exacly like this guy. They aren't going to be fire breathing paulites but just barely convinced to pull the lever for RP.

Well, in that case I hope I did a decent job of schooling him with my long comment.

Aratus
10-04-2011, 06:25 PM
this esquire brainfreeze of a magnus opus is debating whether to go total norman mailer snark
over-drive with it's glib city slicker wit or a tad true grit a la hunter thompson. it's naughty!!!

Aratus
10-04-2011, 06:27 PM
dare i drudge it? after all chris christie looked 100% sane over the past 48 hours!

pauliticalfan
10-04-2011, 06:43 PM
dreadlocks, seriously? there's nothing wrong with dreadlocks, but i've yet to see a ron paul supporter with dreadlocks. is that really how they perceive us LOL

sailingaway
10-04-2011, 06:45 PM
dreadlocks, seriously? there's nothing wrong with dreadlocks, but i've yet to see a ron paul supporter with dreadlocks. is that really how they perceive us LOL

There was one in a new hampshire parade, very visibly, and one was reported shouting down Cheney at CPAC. One set of dreadlocks is very visible when no one else has them. And media will find them every time.

Aratus
10-04-2011, 06:46 PM
the writer also namedropped lucky lindy. the whole thing has moments of pure 1920s snarky. it is classic esquire. yep.
it's 100% political smut. its slightly brighter than SNL. wrap a brown paper bag around it if you print it out. pronto. ASAP!
http://www.esquire.com/archives/blogs/politics/by_author/68/15;1 he's blogged before and accumulatively reminds me of H.L Mencken.

The Goat
10-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I like the title!!

Now to check out the article....

--

edit - why do these people not have a 'share with twitter' button?

ive got a tool bar in foxfire that lets you share whatever you want. its got share buttons in browser.

Anti Federalist
10-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Ugh, damning with faint praise.

His positions on the issues are, well, eccentric is too kind a word, but look at this field. His views on the Fed, or his isolationish foreign-policy notions, or even his market-based solutions to problems like giant oil pipelines that explode, are no further into the Land of Whackadoodle than are Cain's "9-9-9" tax plan, or Bachmann's views on church and state, or Newt Gingrich's image of himself.

They are based on the Constitution.

That's why we're in the mess we are in, when a Constitutional position is regarded as only slightly less "whackadoodle" than, well, I don't know what.

FFS, why not shit or get off the pot, declare the Constitution null and void and be done with it.

Ignoring it, like Ron is ignored, is a disgrace.

Rocket_pilot
10-04-2011, 06:59 PM
It's almost as if you can see the titanic slowly turning around and coming our direction finally. They don't want to quite yet jump in and say he is legit, but their ability to ignore him as a candidate who has major support becomes harder by the day. I think now is the time for Paul to jump in full force and come up with a more effective way of delivering the message to both the person on the fence or the lay person who is less politically minded (or quite frankly, a few fries short of a happy meal). He needs to go for the kill now. Break out of talking about the issues at a macro level and start delivering the micro "how I will incorporate change for the everyday man/woman" message. Not everyone can connect the dots like many of the people on this board can. They need a in your face, direct message they can identify with.

Game on!

anthonydgober
10-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Good title

Aratus
10-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Anti-Federalist... i have a new poll up!!!
one of the options is for our own ZZ to 'drudge' it.
the article is donkey~snark like as if norman mailer wrote it.

Rocket_pilot
10-04-2011, 07:07 PM
By the way, I hate how they stereotype his supporters. I am a 34 year old, successful, white collar kinda guy. But I am well read on economics and foreign policy, and as such Ron Paul is the most obvious choice. I've been a adamant supporter of his for 4 years now. Maybe it's because of that, and because I earned my position in life and didn't have it handed to me that I support Paul and his libertarian values.

On a side note, no offense to any of my dread lock havin' brothers. As long as you support Paul and truly have an in depth knowledge of the issues he fights for....I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you any day my fellow patriot!

Aratus
10-04-2011, 07:20 PM
the Esquire article reads brainier than the typical SNL skit, and it's like how the GOP debates may look
from the perspective of an academically gifted 20something to 30something intrepid white house staffer
with at least a master's degree who had been admin told to view ALL the debates and write up a followup.

Aratus
10-04-2011, 07:21 PM
the timing of the header is brilliant. the intent of the hit piece is brilliant.

acptulsa
10-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Well, you know...

There's something to be said for the suggestion that someone who goes into public service for moral reasons, and lives in a fishbowl because someone has to and it might as well be an honest someone, is a little nuts.

That said, the psychopaths are a whole lot nuts. And that is certainly a valid point.

Now, what's wrong with the message that anyone who passes on a little nuts but honest to support instead certifiably psycho is in no way playing with a full deck?