PDA

View Full Version : Hank Williams Jr. dropped from ESPN, Monday Night Football for comparing Obama to Hitler.

Anti Federalist
10-03-2011, 09:23 PM
ESPN drops Hank Williams Jr. from 'Monday Night Football'

By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY
3 Oct. 2011
Updated 1h 57m ago

After ESPN dropped Hank Williams Jr. from opening Monday Night Football tonight after Williams' controversial comments Monday about President Obama, the singer now says he was "misunderstood."

Says ESPN, in a statement: "While Hank Williams Jr. is not an ESPN employee, we recognize he is closely linked to our company through the opening to Monday Night Football. We are extremely disappointed with his comments, and as a result have decided to pull the open from tonight's telecast."

Williams, perhaps best known for his "are you ready for some football?" lead-in to ESPN's Monday Night Football, Monday compared this summer's so-called golf summit between Obama and House Speaker John Boehner as "one of the biggest political mistakes ever."

As Williams put it on Fox News' Fox & Friends: "It would be like Hitler playing golf with (Israeli leader) Benjamin Netanyahu."

When asked on Fox to explain his analogy, Williams said Obama and Vice President Biden are "the enemy."

In a statement Monday night, Williams says that with his comment about Obama and Boehner playing golf this summer he was "simply trying to show how stupid it seemed to me -- how ludicrous that pairing was." Williams says Boehner and Obama "are polar opposites and it made no sense. They don't see eye-to-eye and never will."

(Of course it makes no sense Hank, if you think that either one of these men are sincere. But they are not. It's all a show, it's as fake as pro wrestling. They can act out a drama of how they are fighting for their political lives and ideals, take off the silly uniforms and costumes and go chase hookers and blow after getting in quick nine at the local [no mundanes allowed] golf course while agreeing on the real business these sluts are engaged in:selling our nation down the river.. My god man, if you are thinking of running for Senate, understand that reality first - AF)

Although ESPN has a policy about its on-air personalities getting involved in politics, Williams has said he's interested in running as a Republican in 2012 for a U.S. Senate seat in Tennessee. (To watch video of Williams' Fox appearance, click here).

libertybrewcity
10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
in the fox interview he sounded like he was on drugs or something.

Anti Federalist
10-03-2011, 09:32 PM

Maybe he was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct8V4nF9oOI

specsaregood
10-03-2011, 09:38 PM
(Of course it makes no sense Hank, if you think that either one of these men are sincere. But they are not. It's all a show, it's as fake as pro wrestling. They can act out a drama of how they are fighting for their political lives and ideals, take off the silly uniforms and costumes and go chase hookers and blow after getting in quick nine at the local [no mundanes allowed] golf course while agreeing on the real business these sluts are engaged in:selling our nation down the river.. My god man, if you are thinking of running for Senate, understand that reality first - AF)

My god man, he is well aware of that reality. He just wants to join the party.

Anti Federalist
10-03-2011, 09:42 PM
My god man, he is well aware of that reality. He just wants to join the party.

What was I thinking?

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww195/anime-junkie/Reaction%20Images/palm_through_face.png

Rothbardian Girl
10-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Thank goodness they dropped him. That song is horrible.

...trollface.jpg

Nate-ForLiberty
10-03-2011, 09:45 PM
:confused: I thought they dropped him for that whiny chick a few years back.

brushfire
10-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Ahhh Nothing wrong with Hank Jr.

Here's to Monday Nigh Bocephus!
http://www.buzzhumor.com/videos/30559/Chris_Farley_As_Bocephus

flightlesskiwi
10-03-2011, 09:53 PM
football on monday night!!!???!!??!!

srsly. Hank Williams III for Senate maybe, but not Hank Williams, Jr.

Anti Federalist
10-03-2011, 09:59 PM
football on monday night!!!???!!??!!

srsly. Hank Williams III for Senate maybe, but not Hank Williams, Jr.

LoL that.

Hank 3 is an AJ fan IIRC.

flightlesskiwi
10-03-2011, 10:09 PM
LoL that.

Hank 3 is an AJ fan IIRC.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh288/krispos42/Animated/oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Son of Detroit
10-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Come on Hank, couldn't you have waited a couple weeks? I was looking forward to hear you sing before I watch my Lions play in their first Monday Night Football game since I was a little tyke. I was 6 years old the last time the Lions played on MNF in 1999!

I'm counting down the days until next Monday. Absolutely cannot wait.

pcosmar
10-03-2011, 10:23 PM
LOL

Honey just said, "What the hell is he supposed to do, Apologize to Hitler?"

;)

AGRP
10-03-2011, 10:42 PM
lol @ him supporting Cain.

Is October brainwash with Cain month?

BamaAla
10-03-2011, 11:00 PM

That's just his personality. I've known the guy all my life; he's a strange fellow, but what you get on camera is what you get in real life.

sparebulb
10-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Good for ol' Bo Ceph(yll)us. It is unfortunate that he seems to be a Fox News type of republican.

CaptainAmerica
10-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I love hank williams,williams jr ,and williams the 3rd.

Anti Federalist
10-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Jones on this story now on his show.

TonySutton
10-04-2011, 12:17 PM
He will probably sell a ton of records due to the publicity he is getting for this. He was speaking to his listeners.

MelissaCato
10-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Let me guess, Garth will replace him cause he's an Obama fan.

" Mr. Lincoln can you believe, how our Republics changed alot in a hundred years " " I don't think it's workin out like we planned " " ohhh we could use a hand " I like that song. Now that Hank Jr is pissed off, maybe he'll update America can Survive with Kid Rock !!!! YeeeeeHawwww FOREVER !!!

timosman
09-23-2017, 08:37 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/12/were-you-ready-for-some-football-like-it-or-not-hank-williams-jr-is-back-on-monday-night-football/
http://archive.is/QTDbL

By Cindy Boren, September 12

https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/files/2017/09/hankjr.jpg
Yep. It’s Hank Williams Jr. again on “Monday Night Football.” (Scott Clarke/ESPN Images)

Six years after he and ESPN parted over his comparison of then-president Barack Obama to Hitler, Hank Williams Jr. was back on “Monday Night Football.”

Ready or not, the network decided that it was time to resurrect the “All My Rowdy Friends Are Here on Monday Night” tune that, at its core, has always been synonymous with the network’s prime-time NFL game.

“ ‘Monday Night Football’ has the most famous music video in sports television. It’s time to bring it back,” Stephanie Druley, the network’s senior vice president for events and studio production, said when Williams’s return was announced in June. “The combination of Hank Williams Jr. with Florida Georgia Line and Jason Derulo will get fans excited and ready for kickoff every Monday night on ESPN this fall.”

Williams’s iconic intro song, a staple of the broadcast for more than 20 years, was shelved in October 2011 after Williams called the “golf summit” that summer between Obama and then-House speaker John A. Boehner “one of the biggest political mistakes ever” in a “Fox and Friends” interview and added: “It would be like Hitler playing golf with Benjamin Netanyahu.” Pressed to explain what he meant, Williams added, “They’re the enemy. . . . Obama. And [vice president Joe] Biden. Are you kidding? The Three Stooges.” He went on to say, “We’re more polarized than we’ve ever been, guys, and you know it. I’m not gonna sugarcoat it. We’re polarized!”

In removing Williams and his song immediately from the broadcast, ESPN said in a statement at the time that it was “extremely disappointed” in his comments. But times change and, with apologies to Carrie Underwood and “Sunday Night Football,” no song since has been instantly identifiable for the NFL. Despite the lag time between the announcement and the “MNF” kickoff, not everyone was pleased with Williams’s return.

But it was peppy and danged if it doesn’t shout “football!” regardless of whether you turn over some furniture during the game or just doze quietly in a Barcalounger. As Deadspin’s Dan McQuade wrote: “I do like his ‘MNF’ theme. It reminds me of being a football-obsessed kid. It reminds me that I should invite my rowdy (or possibly my mild-mannered friends) over for football on Monday nights. And I enjoy how the opening is often completely [expletive] bonkers.

Williams recorded the tune over the summer in Nashville and told the Tennessean at the time: “I never said, ‘Are you ready for some football’ on stage one time the last five or six years, but I will now. I’m feeling at home and it’s a real good thing. . . . It’s kind of like the Nashville Predators playing for the Stanley Cup, it’s like ‘Wow.’”

Hmmmm. You make the call.

Raginfridus
09-23-2017, 11:43 AM
I remember this. The only blacks who gave a damn were on tv. It was a nonissue, probably concocted to boost Hank Jr's concert and album sales.

Madison320
09-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Maybe ESPN is trying to make things even for keeping Jemele Hill after she called Trump a white supremacist.

Complaints of racism really annoy me because I know it's all about trying to get free stuff. Get rid of discrimination laws (and other things that force political correctness at gunpoint) and I might listen.

Schifference
09-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Do you think they would boot him again if he compared Trump to Hitler?

oyarde
09-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Hitler never fined anyone for not being able to afford health insurance .

oyarde
09-23-2017, 04:47 PM

NO

timosman
09-23-2017, 04:56 PM

Seems like you are unaware about the changes. Comparing POTUS to Hitler is OK now.

Madison320
09-23-2017, 05:02 PM

No and it was proven last week.

ESPN’s Jemele Hill stands by her statement that Trump is a white supremacist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2017/09/15/espns-jemele-hill-stands-by-her-statement-that-trump-is-a-white-supremacist/?utm_term=.920d058e2c45

Raginfridus
09-23-2017, 11:27 PM
To be fair to Hitler, he wasn't a white supremacist, he was a nationalist. Its hard for racially charged Americans to comprehend, but the Germanic ethnos doesn't belong huwite people - only to Germans. In a word: Nationalism.

To be fair to Hill, she never tweeted that Trump's Hitler, that I saw, and the WH needs to fuck off about asking for apologies. Who needs to give a shit what a sports commentator tweets or says? Out of all the outrageous shit, why make a scapegoat out of her? As seen with Hank Jr, firing somebody over their opinions always backfires.

Anti Federalist
09-24-2017, 11:58 AM
In a statement Monday night, Williams says that with his comment about Obama and Boehner playing golf this summer he was "simply trying to show how stupid it seemed to me -- how ludicrous that pairing was." Williams says Boehner and Obama "are polar opposites and it made no sense. They don't see eye-to-eye and never will."

(Of course it makes no sense Hank, if you think that either one of these men are sincere. But they are not. It's all a show, it's as fake as pro wrestling. They can act out a drama of how they are fighting for their political lives and ideals, take off the silly uniforms and costumes and go chase hookers and blow after getting in a quick nine at the local [no mundanes allowed] golf course, while agreeing on the real business these sluts are engaged in: selling our nation down the river. My god man, if you are thinking of running for Senate, understand that reality first - AF)

Although ESPN has a policy about its on-air personalities getting involved in politics, Williams has said he's interested in running as a Republican in 2012 for a U.S. Senate seat in Tennessee. (To watch video of Williams' Fox appearance, click here).

If Bocephus had any sense, he'd tell everybody in the NFL to fuck themselves sideways and walk off.

Anti Federalist
09-24-2017, 12:00 PM
huwite people

I see this popping up quite a bit across the intertubes.

What is this?

A new politically approved slur against white people?

A tongue in cheek reference to something I'm missing?

A pun?

Help me out...

Raginfridus
09-24-2017, 12:23 PM
I see this popping up quite a bit across the intertubes.

What is this?

A new politically approved slur against white people?

A tongue in cheek reference to something I'm missing?

A pun?

Help me out...Huwite people is a granfalloon made up of whites. There's no such thing as a "white people." So it mocks anybody who believes they belong to such a thing, or like to point fingers at the mythical huwite people, when they're feeling oppressed today. That's how I use it, but that's not it's original meaning.

Heres what a granfalloon is: https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/granfalloon

Anti Federalist
09-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Huwite people is a granfalloon made up of whites. There's no such thing as a "white people." So it mocks anybody who believes they belong to such a thing, or like to point fingers at the mythical huwite people, when they're feeling oppressed today. That's how I use it, but that's not it's original meaning.

Heres what a granfalloon is: https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/granfalloon

Got it...

Raginfridus
09-24-2017, 12:45 PM
I think "huwite" originated with the alt-right in their pr wars with anti-fa. Making fun of the way privileged college kids inflect the word white to signal they're erudite and passionate about struggles they've never known. I don't know if there was more nuance to it than that, but I don't care because I've stolen their word and its mine now :D

timosman
08-26-2018, 10:36 AM
No and it was proven last week.

ESPN’s Jemele Hill stands by her statement that Trump is a white supremacist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2017/09/15/espns-jemele-hill-stands-by-her-statement-that-trump-is-a-white-supremacist/?utm_term=.920d058e2c45

Jemele Hill is out at ESPN - https://nypost.com/2018/08/25/jemele-hill-era-at-espn-is-over/

Jemele Hill needed to be out at ESPN. Hill knew it. ESPN president Jimmy Pitaro knew it. And, now, Jemele Hill is out at ESPN.

The marriage between ESPN and Hill — the controversial sports commentator who waded into politics and sparred with President Donald Trump — has long been stuck in irreconcilable differences. Since leaving “SportsCenter” earlier this year, she has barely worked, making a divorce the obvious conclusion.

A buyout of her reported $2.5 million per year contract has been completed and her last day will be Friday, according to sources.

On Saturday night, the author James Miller, who wrote a book about ESPN, first tweeted the news of the breakup, calling it “amicable.” The timing, on a Saturday evening, was fortunate for Hill and ESPN in an attempt to lessen the news coverage of what had been a huge national story, both in politics and in sports. There had been rumblings last week of buyout talks between the two sides.

It is quite simple as to why the buyout happened: Hill wants to continue her involvement in politics, and ESPN wants out of politics.

Pitaro has made it clear ESPN is a sports network and does not want to be associated with politics, so he agreed to a buyout with Hill, according to sources. ESPN had no use for Hill on any of its programs after her ill-fated 6 p.m. “SportsCenter” with her former partner, Michael Smith, failed to deliver ratings. She first left Smith behind by quitting the show before the executive in charge of the program, Norby Williamson, had a chance to replace her. She would have been removed.

Nearly one year ago, on Sept. 11, 2017, Hill called Trump “a white supremacist who has largely surrounded himself [with] other white supremacists.” Though it broke ESPN’s social media rules about commenting on politics unrelated to sports, then-network president John Skipper failed to suspend Hill. The White House called for Hill to be fired.

A little more than a month later, Skipper decided to suspend Hill after she criticized Cowboys owner Jerry Jones’ anthem stance by tweeting, “Change happens when advertisers are impacted. If you feel strongly about JJ’s statement, boycott his advertisers.” She was off television for two weeks. ESPN called it a second offense. Hill said she regretted that she had “painted ESPN in an unfair light.”

Pitaro recently said he thinks the biggest misperception of ESPN is that it is political, and now he is putting action behind his words. Though the network’s on-air programming is mostly apolitical, it is hard to ask viewers to disassociate stances they read on social media when ESPN personalities are on TV, radio or writing for its website.

Despite the company’s policy, Hill incessantly tweeted about politics, even as she barely contributed to the network’s content in recent months, save a few columns for ESPN’s Undefeated website and some guest appearances on shows.

Now, Hill likely will look to try to go further into politics. ESPN will continue to try to move further away from politics. She had a very loud career at ESPN, but it is ending — quietly.

euphemia
08-26-2018, 03:34 PM
Social media is a powerful revealer of character. It’s there forever. Back in the day there was almost no way to be caught doing anything on camera unless it was done deliberately. And by now the photos and negatives are rotted away.

I’m almost glad to be older. It’s just hard to watch people showing their own ignorance and evil to the entire world.

timosman
08-26-2018, 04:38 PM
Social media is a powerful revealer of character. It’s there forever. Back in the day there was almost no way to be caught doing anything on camera unless it was done deliberately. And by now the photos and negatives are rotted away.

I’m almost glad to be older. It’s just hard to watch people showing their own ignorance and evil to the entire world.

Not sure if this is so great as people in power get a pass.