PDA

View Full Version : How to keep motivated despite perceived failure.

PaulConventionWV
10-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I admit, I've gotten pretty depressed at times when I perceived that the nation was just too ignorant to receive the message of liberty. I'm wondering how you deal with it, and I'm here to offer optimism and the prevention of major freak-outs. The key is putting things in perspective. This is all about YOUR life journey. Do what you need to to be happy, and all the better if that includes campaigning and spreading the message for Dr. Paul. It's imperative that we keep our heads up.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. Things can turn around quickly. Sometimes, when Ron Paul does really poorly in the polls, he can bounce right back, and the last failure will be forgotten. We should be working to keep him bouncing back if there is some kind of perceived failure.
2. The time span with which we are working offers a lot of leeway. Any bad impression on Dr. Paul can be forgotten easily and will not be in the public eye for long, unless it is something truly scandalous or particularly bad or memorable. Those are less likely with our candidate.
3. We are here to have fun. Yes, we want to get Ron Paul elected, and it is more than just fun and games, but that is part of it. You have to do what you think is best and try to always look at the positive side. Not only will this keep you happier, it is likely to make you more productive. Defeatist attitudes only destroy progress.
4. Last, but not least, the movement extends way beyond the campaign. These are exciting times, and this is a life experience. Keep your head up and move on despite campaign success or failure. Remember, we have a possible (and I think, probable) Rand 2016 run. The liberty movement is stronger now than ever.

So, what are your ways of dealing with disappointment, and how do you propose to do better moving forward?

Spanky
10-03-2011, 06:13 PM
I don't see failure. I see us working hard and winning. Or at the VERY least, putting a knockout blow on the establishment. (Not sure what that'd be)

Good post though

bluesc
10-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't really get discouraged anymore. I did with the border fence comment, but it just reminded me not to be discouraged. The campaign is managing things very well, and I believe we can win Iowa with enough work, and money. So it's all about promoting moneybombs and educating as many people as possible.

When bad news comes out, I work harder, and wait for some good news.

idiom
10-03-2011, 06:21 PM
There seems to be serious momentum building, that all I can see. The is failure in the candidates all around us. We just have to double down and ride it out.

TheTexan
10-03-2011, 06:41 PM
1. Things can turn around quickly. Sometimes, when Ron Paul does really poorly in the polls, he can bounce right back, and the last failure will be forgotten. We should be working to keep him bouncing back if there is some kind of perceived failure.

We don't even really know that we're behind. It's best to assume we are (we most likely are)... but as a recent article pointed out, Ron Paul supporters would walk through a blizzard to vote for him.

This really is a unique election, one that hasn't happened in... decades. This doesn't compare to 2008. 2008, Ron Paul didn't have a snowball's chance, and everyone knew it. People like myself weren't really motivated to vote for him because of that reason (sorry, partly my fault he didn't win in 2008 I know).

For all we know, Ron Paul supporters might head to the polls en masse and win by a landslide because Perry and Romney's "sorta kinda I guess he's meh" supporters don't give enough of a shit to vote. The pollsters have no way of including this in their calculations.

So yes, we should definitely assume we're behind, because it's better to prepare for the worst. But damnit man, don't give up hope, for all we know we have this in the bag.

Bryan
10-03-2011, 06:57 PM
This is all about YOUR life journey.
Great post all around-- excellent point here. +rep.

One point to add-

#5: The alternative to liberty in completely unacceptable. What else matters much if you don't have it?

TheTexan
10-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Great post all around-- excellent point here. +rep.

One point to add-

#5: The alternative to liberty in completely unacceptable. What else matters much if you don't have it?

Indeed. Once you have heard the promises of a truly free society... it's hard to accept anything less.

redmod79
10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
being discouraged is a failure in and of itself... never give up

gerryb
10-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Don't give up after 2012. Become MORE active.

Train, and learn how to win.

YAL and leadership institute are doing great jobs at this.

PaulConventionWV
10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
being discouraged is a failure in and of itself... never give up

You are absolutely correct. That's one of the tenets I live my life by.