PDA

View Full Version : Wall Street Protests. Like it or not, A reality.

pcosmar
10-03-2011, 02:29 PM
I had mixed feeling from the beginning,,actual before the beginning, when it was first announced.
i have been watching with interest to see if and how it would develop.

They are still there and the numbers are growing.
A good article from Huff Po caught my eye.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edward-murray/occupy-wall-street-protest_b_988341.html

On occupywallstreet.org, the closest thing you will find to an official mission statement is this:

" Our nation, our species and our world are in crisis. The U.S. has an important role to play in the solution, but we can no longer afford to let corporate greed and corrupt politics set the policies of our nation."

Now, if you don't believe that statement to be true, you are either on the payroll of an organization with a politically-biased agenda... or you're no longer reading this due to a lack of funny cat photos. This statement reflects a sobering reality of 21st century America, whether we like it or not. And this watershed moment in our culture brings us the unprecedented opportunity to truly evoke change if we all agree that this reality is a problematic one.

If Minnesota congresswoman, and GOP presidential hopeful, Michele Bachmann, truly believes that "... Congress must protect the taxpayers, instead of handing out favors to Wall Street" then she should be supporting Occupy Wall Street.

If Republican Minority Leader Mitch McConnell truly believes that "We cannot allow endless taxpayer-funded bailouts for big Wall Street banks," then he clearly understands how corrupt our financial system is, and he should be supporting Occupy Wall Street.

If Ron Paul truly believes that "Wall Street has the strings on Washington and they pull and do what they want and that's where the corruption is" then he should be supporting Occupy Wall Street.

If President Obama truly believes that Wall Street is only acceptable "when there are clear rules and basic safeguards that prevent abuse, that check excess, that ensure that it is more profitable to play by the rules than to game the system," then he should be supporting Occupy Wall Street.

I know Ralph Nader truly believes this stuff, but I don't know where the hell he is right now. Ralph is probably reminding some disgruntled grocery clerk that Gore couldn't even carry his home state of Tennessee in the 2000 election.

One thing is becoming apparent.. They are not going away soon.

Brown Sapper
10-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I think this could be the left's Tea Party. It's weird that both sides know the problem but come up with different solutions.

AuH20
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I think this could be the left's Tea Party. It's weird that both sides know the problem but come up with different solutions.

But at least the tea party is open to the idea of surgically removing gangrenous appendages before the infection reaches the heart of the body. The left largely wants more cosmetic surgery and morphine to dull the pain. You can rein in the banks all you like but that does nothing for their massive over-leveraging and obvious insolvency. And the same concept applies to the federal government with it's inconceivable balance-sheet that is approaching 100 trillion dollars.

pcosmar
10-03-2011, 03:03 PM
But at least the tea party is open to the idea of surgically removing gangrenous appendages before the infection reaches the heart of the body. The left largely wants more cosmetic surgery and morphine to dull the pain. You can rein in the banks all you like but that does nothing for their massive over-leveraging and obvious insolvency. And the same concept applies to the federal government with it's inconceivable balance-sheet that is approaching 100 trillion dollars.
You (and a few others) seem to be insisting that this is strictly left only protest.
That is not even close to the truth.
Yes,, their are lefties there. As well as others.
And it is spreading to other cities.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/365328/thumbs/r-OCCUPY-LA-PROTEST-large570.jpg
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/01/occupy-la-protest-_n_990439.html

The organizers' demands include the "separation of corporations and state" and "a government that actually works for the people," as well as solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street protesters. But despite their stated goal, the action was also made up of groups of disparate causes and organizations, much like the other protests across the country.

People across the City Hall lawn called for everything from the reenactment of the Glass-Steagall Act to Ron Paul for president to the abolishment of the United Nations, a "fascist, one-world government." But despite the variety of pet projects, the crowd seemed absolutely united against the villains of the moment -- those who got richer after the recent worldwide recession.

The scene resembled a summertime street festival. Families with young children brought picnic blankets and snacks. Enterprising vendors rolled their carts down to Spring Street and 2nd Avenue, selling ice-cold water bottles and bacon-wrapped hotdogs. A huge truck across the street blared soul music out of speakers on the roof of the vehicle, and artists were setting up their easels to paint their interpretations of the protest.

Seems like free market capitalists are also represented.