PDA

View Full Version : Domino effect: South Carolina moves primary up to January 21

Agorism
10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Domino effect: South Carolina moves primary up to January 21

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/03/south-carolina-to-hold-primary-on-january-21

Washington (CNN) - South Carolina’s Republican presidential primary will be held on Jan. 21 of next year, two GOP sources tell CNN.
South Carolina Republican Party Chairman Chad Connelly will formally announce the date later this morning.

The move is designed to put space between South Carolina and Florida, which bucked national Republican Party rules last week and decided to hold their primary on Jan. 31.
The updated calendar is likely to push the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary even earlier into January as they seek to protect their role as the two leadoff contests in the presidential nominating process.
“Last Friday, a nine-person committee brought chaos to the 2012 calendar,” said South Carolina GOP Chairman Chad Connelly. “Today, South Carolina is making things right. South Carolina Republicans have a thirty year track record of picking the eventual Republican Presidential nominee. We will continue that historic tradition on January 21, 2012.”

specsaregood
10-03-2011, 09:42 AM
ah hell, lets just do it tomorrow!

TexMac
10-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Race42012 has this speculation on the calendar:

We have another piece to the early state primary puzzle now: South Carolina GOP Chairman Chad Connelly will announce later this morning that the SC primary will be held on Saturday January 21, 2012 (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/03/south-carolina-to-hold-primary-on-january-21/).This was earlier than anybody expected — the 24th or the 28th were the dates I kept hearing — and so it probably forces IA, NH, and NV at least a week earlier. New Hampshire will likely go on Tuesday January 10, putting Iowa in the first week of the year just like in 2008 — the very thing the RNC was trying to avoid with their new rules.
And so our updated calendar:
January 2 (?) – Iowa
January 10 (?) – New Hampshire
January 14 (?) – Nevada
January 21 – South Carolina
January 31 – Florida
February 7 – Colorado & Minnesota (non-binding)

February 28 – Arizona & Michigan

1000-points-of-fright
10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
All primaries should be on the same day just like elections. That way you don't have the results of earlier primaries influencing people.

bluesc
10-03-2011, 11:06 AM
All primaries should be on the same day just like elections. That way you don't have the results of earlier primaries influencing people.

But the only way we win is if we have the early states creating a snowball effect.

If there was a national primary, Ron would come out with about 9-15%.

torchbearer
10-03-2011, 11:17 AM
louisiana traditionally holds it caucus the last week of january, but for some reason the date is kept a secret.

Todd
10-03-2011, 11:19 AM
a suggested possible strategy for the GOP in 07 was to move the primaries earlier to keep those trying to get registerd as Republicans for voting in the primaries for Paul.

Looks like it to me.

tsai3904
10-03-2011, 11:28 AM
a suggested possible strategy for the GOP in 07 was to move the primaries earlier to keep those trying to get registerd as Republicans for voting in the primaries for Paul.

You can check the deadlines here and spread the word to people in states with upcoming deadlines:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?315740-State-by-State-Voting-Information

Keith and stuff
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Interesting principle but that's not what it is about. Early primaries in small states help the lesser known, lesser financed folks running for office. It' makes it easier for them. I'm talking about folks like Ron Paul.

Your system would be horrible and likely prevent someone like Ron Paul for being able to do anything on a national level.

Matthew5
10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
This is to our advantage. It keeps more flavor of the week candidates thinking they have a shot.

Southron
10-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I hope you all get RP elected in the primaries because it will prolly be wrapped up before I vote. Feels liberating that my vote won't matter.

Matthew5
10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I hope you all get RP elected in the primaries because it will prolly be wrapped up before I vote. Feels liberating that my vote won't matter.

haha I'm with ya...I'm in Oklahoma! We're mid-March!

LibertyRevolution
10-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Looks like it to me.

I knew they were going to pull this crap again with moving up the registration deadlines...
They did it to us in 2007...
Some of us tried to warn others to start getting people to register republican back in January...

Uploaded by me on Jan 18, 2011....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uykPAdkFFro

1000-points-of-fright
10-04-2011, 05:42 AM
Interesting principle but that's not what it is about. Early primaries in small states help the lesser known, lesser financed folks running for office. It' makes it easier for them. I'm talking about folks like Ron Paul.

Your system would be horrible and likely prevent someone like Ron Paul for being able to do anything on a national level.

I understand that, but it also perpetuates the who's electable/back-the-winning-horse mindset. Simultaneous primaries would force people to actually vote their conscience instead of who's ahead in the race. Of course with simultaneous primaries you'd have to reform the whole political media machine to give equal coverage to all candidates.