Petar
11-05-2007, 04:43 PM
delete

Petar
11-05-2007, 09:12 PM
bump

dircha
11-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Is this intended for people to coordinate sending letters to newspapers they are on the distribution list to, or is this for people to send letters to newspapers around the country other than their own? Isn't newspaper letter writing necessarily a local effort? I guess I've never written a letter to the editor for an out of state paper. How is that looked upon?

Petar
11-05-2007, 10:00 PM
delete

Mark
11-05-2007, 10:34 PM

awesome..!! Another media method that will go on the new forum..

http://www.RevMark.org/pmf/

and a 1 2 3 4 bump..

jjockers
11-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Love the idea - definitely worth a bump! We should coordinate our letters to the editors.

alien
11-05-2007, 11:27 PM
I've built an automated software test engine using .NET. I have VB Script experience as well. Plus some C++. I know Java is similar to C but I have never written in Java. I would be happy to help if I can. Just do not know how much I can help but I'm willing to listen.

slantedview
11-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm a software engineer... I use Hibernate, eclipse, J2ee, blah blah every day. I don't have much free time to offer on the project, but I can offer some good advice.

I'd consider going a different route than Java. I'd consider Drupal. It's a "hit the ground running" PHP based content management system that can be used to build just about any sort of dynamic website you can think of. It has a ton of add-on "modules" that do most things anyone would want, and writing your own modules to extend the core system is pretty easy. Building anything that is robust, from scratch, in Java, will take too long. Besides, PHP is easier to learn and work with for a beginner, than Java. dailypaul.com uses drupal (as a blog/forum), along with several other prominent sites.

One more upside to PHP - hosting is easier to find and cheaper than Java hosting, and PHP plays nice with MySQL :)

Now I'm not sure exactly what you envision for the site, but I just wanted to throw this out as a suggestion for you to check out.

Good luck.

dmspilot00
11-05-2007, 11:38 PM
I can do Ruby, Perl, and PHP, but not Java. Sorry.

Petar
11-06-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm a software engineer... I use Hibernate, eclipse, J2ee, blah blah every day. I don't have much free time to offer on the project, but I can offer some good advice.

I'd consider going a different route than Java. I'd consider Drupal. It's a "hit the ground running" PHP based content management system that can be used to build just about any sort of dynamic website you can think of. It has a ton of add-on "modules" that do most things anyone would want, and writing your own modules to extend the core system is pretty easy. Building anything that is robust, from scratch, in Java, will take too long. Besides, PHP is easier to learn and work with for a beginner, than Java. dailypaul.com uses drupal (as a blog/forum), along with several other prominent sites.

One more upside to PHP - hosting is easier to find and cheaper than Java hosting, and PHP plays nice with MySQL :)

Now I'm not sure exactly what you envision for the site, but I just wanted to throw this out as a suggestion for you to check out.

Good luck.

Your advice is very competent, thank you. However, the project is already well underway using Java, which will offer some other advantages as well. I actually did change the direction of the project once already when I had hired some people in India to build the website and they were using SQL Server , ASP, and Visual Basic. Anyhow, if you would like to PM me with your phone number, then I would love to spend a couple of minutes going over the details of my project with you, whether you really have time to contribute or not. Thanks, hope to talk to you soon.

Petar
11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
bump

tonyr1988
11-06-2007, 09:22 AM
I can program in Java. I usually do applications, but applets aren't too different. Unfortunately, I can't donate a TON of time, but I can try to help out whenever needed.

Petar
11-06-2007, 09:36 AM
I can program in Java. I usually do applications, but applets aren't too different. Unfortunately, I can't donate a TON of time, but I can try to help out whenever needed.

Excellent, that sounds great, would you be able to PM me with your phone number please, so that we can go over the model together for a couple of minutes?

Petar
11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
bump

deedles
11-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I've been harping on my meetup group for months about letters to the editor...

I know nothing about Java etc, but I'm IN for the end result!

Thank you for doing this!

Petar
11-06-2007, 04:39 PM
delete

Petar
11-06-2007, 06:28 PM
bump

Wyurm
11-06-2007, 06:33 PM
I love the idea, sorry I can not be of help. I rarely ever do this, but bump.

Petar
11-06-2007, 08:07 PM
I love the idea, sorry I can not be of help. I rarely ever do this, but bump.

Thank you very much, it is very nice to hear words of encouragement while I am scrambling to complete this project.

Petar
11-06-2007, 10:56 PM
bump

Petar
11-07-2007, 09:41 AM
bump

Petar
11-07-2007, 12:24 PM
bump

Petar
11-07-2007, 03:57 PM
bump