PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post and New York Times give great coverage!

Naraku
11-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Historians and British school children remember Guy Fawkes as the Catholic, anti-Protestant rebel who on Nov. 5, 1605 unsuccessfully tried to assassinate King James I by blowing up the parliament.

Supporters of the long-shot Republican primary campaign of libertarian Representative Ron Paul may remember Guy Fawkes as a wildly successful fund-raising gimmick.

On Monday, a group of Paul supporters helped raised more than $2.8 million in one day — more than half its total for last quarter — through a Web site called ThisNovember5th.com, a reference to the day the British commemorate the thwarted bombing. Paul fans may know of the day primarily through a movie based on the futuristic graphic novel “V for Vendetta,” by Alan Moore and David Lloyd, in which a terrorist modeled after Mr. Fawkes battles a fascist government that has taken over Britain.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/05/paul-supporters-raise-27-in-a-day/

And like many of the Paulites, the Texas congressman's loyal, Web-savvy supporters, Morley is blogging about Paul on his own site. "I can't really say what my support means. But, you know, I first heard about him two years ago, and I've studied his voting record and I'm convinced that more than candidate, Republican or Democrat, he's the most principled candidate out there," Morley, a libertarian, told The Trail this afternoon. "By the way, I'm at Denny's outside LAX. Here for a fight later tonight. I'm wearing a Ron Paul T-shirt. It's a great day for Ron Paul, you know."

Indeed.

Today, Nov. 5, marks not only Paul's best fundraising haul in a single day -- $1.8 million by 2 p.m. EST -- but online observers say it's also the most money raised by a candidate on the Web in a single day. And the day's not over yet. "Damn. Wow. Um, that's pretty awesome," said a stunned Jerome Armstrong who served as Howard Dean's online strategist. Armstrong, the founder of the popular blog MyDD, said Dean raised as much as $700,000 in one day toward the end of the primary race. "But not a million," Armstrong added. "What Paul is doing -- or what his supporters are doing -- is really impressive." You can view all the fundraising data here.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/11/05/post_179.html

This needs more of this kind of coverage. These guys are being incredibly fair and reasonable. Hell, the Washington Post article doesn't even MENTION Guy Fawkes!

torchbearer
11-05-2007, 05:08 PM
bump for great coverage.

Blowback
11-05-2007, 05:11 PM
"Damn. Wow. Umm... that's pretty awesome"

QFT

manny
11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
$2.8m is already out-of-date...

Looks like Ron Paul may well be the first President with a web-savvy grass-roots... Remember 6 months ago with Hillary and all the others launching fancy websites saying it's a new era, even had articles in England to that effect... But then they realised they couldn't control it, no matter how hard they tried. I would give anything to see Rudy's face when he hears about today :)

ItsTime
11-05-2007, 05:29 PM
wooooooooooooooooooot

On Monday alone, the campaign signed up more than 21,000 new donors on Monday, a campaign spokesman, Jesse Benton, said.

Richandler
11-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Yah they wrote those articles a little too soon. Haha. It isn't done!

Naraku
11-05-2007, 05:36 PM
I honestly love how they deal with the terrorist thing at the end of the article:

To be clear, Mr. Benton said, Mr. Paul does not support blowing up government buildings. “He wants to demolish things like the department of education,” Mr. Benton said, “but we can do that very peacefully, in a constructive manner.”

purplechoe
11-05-2007, 05:40 PM
This makes me so happy I could just go up to a complete stranger and give then a nice big kiss! :)

Maybe not!

Bradley in DC
11-05-2007, 05:43 PM
This makes me so happy I could just go up to a complete stranger and give then a nice big kiss! :)

Maybe not!

With a face like that?! :D

Ron Paul News
11-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Excerpt:
"Today, Nov. 5, marks not only Paul's best fundraising haul in a single day -- approximately $3.75 million by 11 p.m. EST -- but online observers say it's also the most money raised by a candidate on the Web in a single day. And the day's not over yet."

runningdiz
11-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Can this guy be banned? Only reason he is here is to promote his blog. He never gives direct links. Only links to his blog or digg. Highly annoying.

Here is the DIRECT LINK to article: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/11/05/post_179.html

mkrfctr
11-06-2007, 01:54 PM
second the bannination request - flagged this topic too