PDA

View Full Version : Is Florida now proportional?

ZanZibar
10-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Is Florida now proportional?

bluesc
10-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Sounds complicated. I'm hardly able to digest this information, so I'll just leave it here: http://www.dailypaul.com/180701/florida-primary-info-and-delegate-count

PauliticsPolitics
10-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Sounds complicated. I'm hardly able to digest this information, so I'll just leave it here: http://www.dailypaul.com/180701/florida-primary-info-and-delegate-count
It's not that complicated.
The short answer is yes.
(If that letter linked above is accurate...)

The long answer is:
(If that letter linked above is accurate...)
Florida has 99 delegates for the republican convention.
3 of the delegates are party officers, who will vote however they chose.
So this leaves 96 "elected" delegates at stake in the primary.
Since Florida will hold their primary early (Jan 31) they are breaking the national RNC rules, and hence are punished by losing half of their elected delegates. (They did the same thing last time in 2008.)
So Florida will have 48 delegates that are split up proportionally by the primary results.

I cannot find confirmation that this is exactly the case, I can only find references to that same statement posted on dailypaul. However, it is a statement from some sort of party official, so it is at least semi-credible.

MelissaWV
10-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Kind of.

Greenpapers has that same information, but it would seem we would have more than 99 because we just got more districts. I haven't been able to find confirmation on that.

Elwar
10-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I thought Florida was a winner take all state.

From what I was told, Ron Paul is focusing on proportional voting states so that a 2nd place showing will be worth it. And that Florida was not going to be focused on for this reason.

MelissaWV
10-02-2011, 09:13 PM

From what I was told, Ron Paul is focusing on proportional voting states so that a 2nd place showing will be worth it. And that Florida was not going to be focused on for this reason.

Florida is not winner take all this year.

Caution: Speculation ahead...

Rick Scott is a Perry guy. Having an early primary is win-win-win for him. 1. Early primaries favor people with big name recognition and big pocketbooks (it lets them spend their cash suddenly). It also favors establishment candidates since a lot of "fringe" and indie voters are not registered GOP in time. 2. Perry lost the P5, so having our delegates cut in half should help Perry in other states he might happen to win, minimizing the horror that is an overall Florida vote. 3. It gives Rick Scott a stage on which to gripe about the establishement GOP, while actually helping it out.

/speculation ended.

Florida is by districts at the moment. This means you really need to start handing out voter registration forms and getting them mailed in.

http://election.dos.state.fl.us/pdf/webappform.pdf

Print it. Have some envelopes with you. Have some stamps. Have pens. Give the person NO EXCUSE not to fill it out. Have Ron Paul materials with you, but don't be pushy. Offer to email them if they want, so they know when and where to vote. I've had success with this, even joking that since Florida can't decide, it'd be great to get a reminder email confirming the date to go vote.

There are winnable districts in Florida.

There are ways to turn what was once a massive juggernaut of not-Paul winner-take-all votes... into a few districts for Dr. Paul, which means national GOP convention delegates.

Spanky
10-02-2011, 09:16 PM
A little off topic, but where do I get some voter forms for Indiana? Maybe I'm just not typing something in right. I know my state probably won't be important until late, if at all, but still nice to get votes :) (Won't start printing till january or so)

MelissaWV
10-02-2011, 09:20 PM
A little off topic, but where do I get some voter forms for Indiana? Maybe I'm just not typing something in right. I know my state probably won't be important until late, if at all, but still nice to get votes :) (Won't start printing till january or so)

http://www.in.gov/dwd/files/voter_reg_50504.pdf

Note: Indiana has an open primary as of this post.

Spanky
10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
So that means they don't have to go to republican in order to vote for ron paul correct? This could be awesome!

ScrambleLight
10-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Just curious... I'm from Indiana... where are you from? Fort Wayne here. I also tail gate the Ball State home games too.

PauliticsPolitics
10-02-2011, 09:33 PM

Yea it's funny. I hope someone can find hard confirmation on all this.
TheGreenPapers (http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/FL-R#0131) seems to contradict the math as laid out in that letter from the Florida Republican official (http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2011/09/floridas-rnc-leader-says-blowing-up-primary-calendar-will-diminish-state-clout.html.)
It lists FL as "winner-take-all by district & statewide" - and furthermore qualifies:
-- 10 base at-large / 81 re: 27 congressional districts / 3 party / 5 bonus --
This means:
-15 at-large delegates (10 base at-large delegates plus 5 bonus delegates) are to be allocated to the presidential contender receiving the greatest number of votes in the primary statewide.
-81 district delegates are to be allocated to presidential contenders based on the primary results in each of the 27 congressional districts: each congressional district is assigned 3 National Convention delegates and the presidential contender receiving the greatest number of votes in that district will receive all of that district's National Convention delegates.
-3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Florida's Republican Party, will attend the convention, by virtue of their position, bound to the presidential contender receiving the greatest number of votes in the primary statewide.

So this is certainly not the proportional method as Paul Senft (Florida RNC National Committeeman) lays out. So it seems that confusion is merited. Regardless of the math, it is guaranteed that FL will lose half of their delegates for breaking the national RNC rules.

Spanky
10-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Just curious... I'm from Indiana... where are you from? Fort Wayne here. I also tail gate the Ball State home games too.

WOW! I'm going to school here in Fort Wayne!

tsai3904
10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I hope someone can find hard confirmation on all this.

The rules for each state regarding delegate allocation will be released later this month.

PauliticsPolitics
10-02-2011, 09:54 PM
The rules for each state regarding delegate allocation will be released later this month.
Interesting, so maybe this FL RNC Committeeman has some inside info that will become public later. Or maybe he is misinformed. Who knows.

idiom
10-02-2011, 10:32 PM
To what degree will copious amounts of phone-from-home ing help determine which districts are winnable?