PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota man kills himself in front of colleagues after losing his job

moderate libertarian
10-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Tragic.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/10/01/minn-man-kills-self-in-his-car-after-losing-job/

Dr.3D
10-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Jill Murphy says Graves received an unexpectedly poor performance review Monday and was fired Thursday.

Guess they couldn't see the man was already depressed. In fact, so depressed it affected his job performance. So, they fired him and thus depressed him to the point of suicide.

Brian4Liberty
10-02-2011, 01:09 PM
This has been happening in Silicon Valley for years. Hardly makes the news anymore.

Original_Intent
10-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Not only that, but I think many companies want to downsize, and they are able to save money if they are "terminated with cause" or if they can make things so bad that the person quits. I have seen this in my own company over the last six months as they have hired "alternatives" in South America and India. They haven't fired us, but a vice president came out and essentially told us we were not wanted, and we should not want to be there.

Also performance reviews have gone from glowing praise to harsh criticism. It's very Machiavellian, and incidents like the above are going to be the outcome in some extreme cases.

Anti Federalist
10-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Not only that, but I think many companies want to downsize, and they are able to save money if they are "terminated with cause" or if they can make things so bad that the person quits. I have seen this in my own company over the last six months as they have hired "alternatives" in South America and India. They haven't fired us, but a vice president came out and essentially told us we were not wanted, and we should not want to be there.

Also performance reviews have gone from glowing praise to harsh criticism. It's very Machiavellian, and incidents like the above are going to be the outcome in some extreme cases.

Ah, but private corporations can do whatever they please, including mindfucking you with regard to your future and income and home to the point of suicide.

moderate libertarian
10-02-2011, 01:24 PM
This has been happening in Silicon Valley for years. Hardly makes the news anymore.

Change is happening but Hope has been vanishing lately all across:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110824/Gallup-Daily-US-Economic-Outlook.aspx

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110821/Gallup-Daily-US-Economic-Conditions.aspx

Rael
10-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Guess they couldn't see the man was already depressed. In fact, so depressed it affected his job performance. So, they fired him and thus depressed him to the point of suicide.

I feel bad for the man and his family, but I don't think we should blame this on the employer. Who hasn't gotten a bad review, deserved or undeserved. Most people don't kill themselves over it.

torchbearer
10-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I feel bad for the man and his family, but I don't think we should blame this on the employer. Who hasn't gotten a bad review, deserved or undeserved. Most people don't kill themselves over it.

i've seen that avatar before.

dannno
10-02-2011, 06:38 PM
i've seen that avatar before.

TW

Brian4Liberty
10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
They haven't fired us, but a vice president came out and essentially told us we were not wanted, and we should not want to be there.

Yep. A well known company was doing that in the IT department. "We are going to work all of you salaried people extra hours and weekends. There will not be bonuses or raises. And after a year of that, we will lay most of you off."

AFPVet
10-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Ulrich Beck wrote that people define themselves through their work... unfortunately, he was right. People need to understand that a job is just income... it should not define who you are... if you lose your job, you lose income—sure—but you don't lose yourself.

Brian4Liberty
10-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Ulrich Beck wrote that people define themselves through their work... unfortunately, he was right. People need to understand that a job is just income... it should not define who you are... if you lose your job, you lose income—sure—but you don't lose yourself.

Yeah, that is probably the case with the people who kill themselves after getting laid-off. Their lives are too wrapped up in work, and it is their only purpose. They can find a new purpose, it's not that hard.

BlackTerrel
10-02-2011, 10:19 PM
I honestly have no sympathy for such actions.

Lots of people have hardships. This guy took the cowardly way out. And if he has a family it is now they who will have to deal with his actions.

At least unlike the VA Tech guy and others he didn't take others down with him.

Anti Federalist
10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Pretty harsh.

You don't think that a case of clinical depression coupled with sudden job loss could push somebody to the point that they were not thinking rationally?

I honestly have no sympathy for such actions.

Lots of people have hardships. This guy took the cowardly way out. And if he has a family it is now they who will have to deal with his actions.

At least unlike the VA Tech guy and others he didn't take others down with him.

ZanZibar
10-02-2011, 10:33 PM
The way to avoid this is to be frugal with money and have savings / investment. EVERYONE should have 6 months worth of pay saved up. That way if you get fired, you have a whole 'nother 6 months to look for work on the same budget (plus unemployment coming in)

BlackTerrel
10-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Pretty harsh.

You don't think that a case of clinical depression coupled with sudden job loss could push somebody to the point that they were not thinking rationally?

Sure. It could even lead them to kill a bunch of innocent people like that piece of shit at VA Tech. Doesn't mean it's excusable.

I grew up with nothing and I put my head down and worked my ass off. I still do. When life throws shit at me, I stand back up and I fight. This guy is a coward, not a victim. It is between him and God now.

AFPVet
10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah, that is probably the case with the people who kill themselves after getting laid-off. Their lives are too wrapped up in work, and it is their only purpose. They can find a new purpose, it's not that hard.

Amen brother! Exactly!

oyarde
10-03-2011, 11:27 AM
This shit is depressing , I am sitting here reading the board , having some coffee , with the news on getting ready to leave for work . You guys gotta find something positive to throw up every now or then .